DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Non-Drone Photography Thread

These are NICE!!!! I have a friend into astrophotography, whole different world up there.

Been awhile since I visited this thread.......

3O3A0945.jpg

3O3A1397.jpg

3O3A1363.jpg

I like the water shots which remind of some of the landscapes here.

I've been quite excited because Sigma have released a 100-400mm lens in e-mount, I've been keen for a longer lens and while the Soy 100-400mm is meant to be very good at over £2,000 I just couldn't justify it for my hobby use. The Sigma is just over a third of the cost and reviews were good so I managed to bag one as soon as it was available and extremely pleased with it. In fact it's really shown up how poor a lens the Sony 24-240mm is which I put down to my use of it but on reading reviews now its performance especially at the telephoto end is poor so decided to bite the bullet and also go for a Tamron 28-200mm which is frustratingly short range (much less than the Nikon 28-300mm I had a lot of use out of) but it seems worth it to get the better image quality.

Here's class 68 'Fearless' (this class of locomotives are all named after warships apart from 'Felix' which is named after a cat) which is a new visitor to the Highlands and is sharing the intermodal Tesco train and at 3,800bhp is currently the most powerful UK diesel locomotive:

i-trG4wDS-X4.jpg

I also went out to catch the sleeper service which I've not actually seen in the daylight and even now the light was fading and I was having to shoot at iso 4,000. It still amazes me we can do that given it didn't seem that long ago I only used iso 1600 when I was really stuck:

i-zz3xTjN-X4.jpg

And one last train one, this is a class 37 (my favourite class) in its classic large BR logo livery hauling a measuring train, I was particularly keen to see this one as it's not been up here for a long time and I didn't get a good shot with the camera of it. The Westie dog on the side indicates this locomotive back in its day was allocated to the Glasgow depot while the Highland locomotives had a stag on their side:

i-2TCTzZJ-X4.jpg

I was out with the new lens to catch the 37 and carried on cycling since it was a nice day and spotted some baby alpacas which I thought were perfect to try the new lens with, the baby alpacas immediately put on a good show and started racing around with each other:

i-5QBBDhq-X4.jpg

This is more what the A9 is designed for an its high speed shooting and great tracking AF meant it nailed many great shots of them. I was caught out by the buffer though since it took a long time to empty and I could record video until it was empty however I think it can write to video on a second SD card while the buffer empties to the first which would be handy.

Some highland cattle on the same farm:

i-2TXbXLh-X4.jpg

And a red kite further along:

i-hg84MkT-X2.jpg

It's not a great shot IQ wise but I think it's not bad given it's a very tight crop at 400mm.

Last edited:
I am not a photographer, as you can tell from the pictures, but these are just shots that have a personal meaning
Cape_print2.jpg
Cape Cod Bay sunset - shot with Cannon PowerShot SX50HS without any filters
Hawk_print2.jpg
Hawk with his lunch

Farley_Lake.jpg
Mountain lake in the Beartooth Mountains = Cannon Power Shot

Friend on a horse.JPG
A fellow guide leading one of our pack horses - Beartooth Mountains

I am not a photographer, as you can tell from the pictures, but these are just shots that have a personal meaning

I beg to differ based on your post and particularly like your hawk one which is a great capture.

I love photography for capturing memory particularly years later when memories have faded but the photos haven't. At times I get frustrated when I feel like I should be getting much better results but most of the time I'm just pleased to have the photos and the drive to get better photos is simply beneficial because it means I make more effort to get photos.

I beg to differ based on your post and particularly like your hawk one which is a great capture.

I love photography for capturing memory particularly years later when memories have faded but the photos haven't. At times I get frustrated when I feel like I should be getting much better results but most of the time I'm just pleased to have the photos and the drive to get better photos is simply beneficial because it means I make more effort to get photos.
Thanks for the kind words

Great photos.
I don't even own a stand alone camera, my cell phone and MM are it.

You are far from on your own there:

Logically this makes sense given how rare it is to see dedicated cameras these days but still quite a surprise to see how dramatic the decline has been. I use my phone camera as a lot as it's convenient and the quality these days is really impressive, I was doing a cycling challenge recently and used my phone for most of the pictures as I went along:

i-RxSgsCS-5K.jpg

Given I only finished a couple of months ago I was surprised how much of it I'd already forgotten particularly the weather which was a lot better than I'd appreciated at the time.

I'm a Nikon shooter with a D810 and all 3 2.8 Gold Rings....I detest posting my images because of the destructive processing most forums and online media does....it never comes out acceptable to me.

Smart Phone cameras and stock software these days can produce some really great images. This is my cat I shot with my iPhoneXSMax and finished in the Photos app...

KitKat2.jpg

These are a couple of more I shot on Cape Cod. No filters - no post editingNCM_0058.JPG
Another view of the Bay

NCM_0063.JPG
Boats moored at HemingwayBoats at Hemmingway for practice  A.jpg
Same photo as above when I was playing around with Luminar 4

We were out walking the other night at "the right time" and I took this with an iPhone Xs Max... [Yes, the moon was out. Corrected for keystoning, shadow detail and some saturation enhancement. ]

bahai_07242020.jpg

I like the water shots which remind of some of the landscapes here.

I've been quite excited because Sigma have released a 100-400mm lens in e-mount, I've been keen for a longer lens and while the Soy 100-400mm is meant to be very good at over £2,000 I just couldn't justify it for my hobby use. The Sigma is just over a third of the cost and reviews were good so I managed to bag one as soon as it was available and extremely pleased with it. In fact it's really shown up how poor a lens the Sony 24-240mm is which I put down to my use of it but on reading reviews now its performance especially at the telephoto end is poor so decided to bite the bullet and also go for a Tamron 28-200mm which is frustratingly short range (much less than the Nikon 28-300mm I had a lot of use out of) but it seems worth it to get the better image quality.

Here's class 68 'Fearless' (this class of locomotives are all named after warships apart from 'Felix' which is named after a cat) which is a new visitor to the Highlands and is sharing the intermodal Tesco train and at 3,800bhp is currently the most powerful UK diesel locomotive:

i-trG4wDS-X4.jpg

I also went out to catch the sleeper service which I've not actually seen in the daylight and even now the light was fading and I was having to shoot at iso 4,000. It still amazes me we can do that given it didn't seem that long ago I only used iso 1600 when I was really stuck:

i-zz3xTjN-X4.jpg

And one last train one, this is a class 37 (my favourite class) in its classic large BR logo livery hauling a measuring train, I was particularly keen to see this one as it's not been up here for a long time and I didn't get a good shot with the camera of it. The Westie dog on the side indicates this locomotive back in its day was allocated to the Glasgow depot while the Highland locomotives had a stag on their side:

i-2TCTzZJ-X4.jpg

I was out with the new lens to catch the 37 and carried on cycling since it was a nice day and spotted some baby alpacas which I thought were perfect to try the new lens with, the baby alpacas immediately put on a good show and started racing around with each other:

i-5QBBDhq-X4.jpg

This is more what the A9 is designed for an its high speed shooting and great tracking AF meant it nailed many great shots of them. I was caught out by the buffer though since it took a long time to empty and I could record video until it was empty however I think it can write to video on a second SD card while the buffer empties to the first which would be handy.

Some highland cattle on the same farm:

i-2TXbXLh-X4.jpg

And a red kite further along:

i-hg84MkT-X2.jpg

It's not a great shot IQ wise but I think it's not bad given it's a very tight crop at 400mm.

Thanks for the compliment, I love those train shots, nice work!! One of fav hobbies as a kid was train set, loved looking at them through the city.

You are far from on your own there:

Logically this makes sense given how rare it is to see dedicated cameras these days but still quite a surprise to see how dramatic the decline has been. I use my phone camera as a lot as it's convenient and the quality these days is really impressive, I was doing a cycling challenge recently and used my phone for most of the pictures as I went along:

i-RxSgsCS-5K.jpg

Given I only finished a couple of months ago I was surprised how much of it I'd already forgotten particularly the weather which was a lot better than I'd appreciated at the time.

Nice shot collage!! You are spot on about camera's, Canon just announced they are done with the 5D series, putting more push into their mirrorless bodies. I was one of those people who definitely didn't want to hear anything years ago when it came to cell phone camera's and quality, however when I got my Samsung Galaxy S5, S6, and S8 models, my mind was officially changed. The image quality and video capabilities has vastly improved, very impressive nowadays.

Beautiful shots in here from members, glad to see it!!

I'm a Nikon shooter with a D810 and all 3 2.8 Gold Rings....I detest posting my images because of the destructive processing most forums and online media does....it never comes out acceptable to me.

Smart Phone cameras and stock software these days can produce some really great images. This is my cat I shot with my iPhoneXSMax and finished in the Photos app...

View attachment 108908
Excedllent work, Sir. Plus, I love cats!

Reactions: Fred Garvin
Reactions: vindibona1
I'm very fond of the bridge and the birds with the orange in their bills.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shakes60