DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Non-Drone Photography Thread

shutterguy

Reactions
Hey all, wanted to see if we could get a photography thread going that was for sharing photos not taken by a drone. If you have some shots you love that you have taken with your cell phone or camera please share them. I will ask that if they are portraits please keep them SFW (Safe For Work, non glamour style). If you would like to add your gear/kit feel free. I'm going to start from my latest to my earliest images, recently picked up a Canon 5D Mark IV with some Canon lenses, EF 135mm f/2 L, EF 17-40 f/4 L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L, and a 50mm f/1.8 STM. Please add on and share!

3O3A0261.jpg

3O3A1072.jpg

3O3A1077.jpg

3O3A1454.jpg

IMG_6287.jpg

IMG_5731TC.jpg

IMG_8799.jpg

IMG_3057.jpg

Beautiful shots. Love that pier and your tracking on those birds!
Thanks. The tracking takes some practice for sure. And a LOT of extra photos that nobody sees. ?

Thanks. The tracking takes some practice for sure. And a LOT of extra photos that nobody sees. ?

So true!! This first photo I took the other day (and deleted several blurred ones). Admittedly, I was on a kayak at the time, so moving myself while tracking a moving subject was not easy!!

2.jpg

Funny thing is, the heron initially was standing on the riverbank directly across from where I launched. Had I noticed it sooner, I could have gotten some better shots. As it is, I was about halfway across the water, before spotting it and it flying off. A few minutes later either the same one, or a second, then flew out from the riverbank and this time I at least had the camera on!!

And then here are a few others that I have taken over time.

1.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg

All of these are taken with a Nikon D3200, using a Nikon 35mm, Tokina 11-16mm or a Tamron 70-300mm. For the astro images I also have an iOptron Skytracker.

When I was at University I badly missed my dog so decided to buy an early digital camera to have photos of him when I was away. The Fuji Finepix 1400z has laughable specs now with its 1MP sensor, 3x zoom, iso 100 max, bulky 4xAA batteries and unreliable smartmedia card. However the quality was a big step up from many of the 0.3MP MF devices at the time and being able to see your photos straight after and e-mail them was an incredible improvement to using film. This is a typical shot of a very wet Jake at one of his favourite spots:

DSCF1116-X2.jpg

I moved onto bridge cameras and then my first DSLR which was an Olympus E-500 which I bought because it was a good deal and I didn't understand DSLRs at the time. I stuck with the system for a few years after:

P4136120-X3.jpg

P5293734-X3.jpg

When Jake passed away and Alfie arrived I was getting fed up with the misbehaving Olympus E-3 so I decided to change up to full frame with the Nikon D700 which was a huge improvement with incredible autofocus, wide dynamic range and usable iso 6400:

DSC_1480-X3.jpg

DSC_6132-X3.jpg

I upgraded to the D750 which offered a bit more resolution and autofocus improvements:

DSC_0952-X3.jpg

DSC_3941-X3.jpg

DSC_9493-X3.jpg

I have a little Sony RX1 which is technologically a bit of a dinosaur these days but it offers an FF sensor in a very compact body with a sharp 35mm F2 lens making it ideal to take out on the bike with me:

DSC01595-X3.jpg

Last year I started with FF mirrorless with a Sony A7SII and DJI Ronin-SC with the intention of working on low light video but I'm not great with video and still struggling to get good results since I'm not spending the time I should. The clean high iso is impressive though:

DSC00294-X3.jpg

I decided to try a Sony A9 just before Christmas enticed by the electronic shutter on it and unfortunately not been able to do much with it due to the lockdown but from what I've seen of it the camera is incredible. In normal use the electronic shutter is very quick, silent and no blackout then if you want to shoot fast it can sustain a blistering 20fps up to 240 shots with tracking continuous AF and still no blackout in the EVF.

SA900764-X3.jpg

I was thinking about my original little Fuji and its iso limit of 100 and wishing you could get a camera with super high iso that could photos in darkness which is what we have now. The dog was out hunting for a hedgehog late at night around half 11 well after the sun had set when I could barely see him in the low light but the camera managed to lock on with its autofocus and take this shot at iso 20,000:

SA908382-X3.jpg

I'm frustrated with myself for taking very few photos these days and need to make more effort to get out more and take photos so I work my way through all the bad ones to get back to getting good ones.

So true!! This first photo I took the other day (and deleted several blurred ones). Admittedly, I was on a kayak at the time, so moving myself while tracking a moving subject was not easy!!

View attachment 104933

Funny thing is, the heron initially was standing on the riverbank directly across from where I launched. Had I noticed it sooner, I could have gotten some better shots. As it is, I was about halfway across the water, before spotting it and it flying off. A few minutes later either the same one, or a second, then flew out from the riverbank and this time I at least had the camera on!!

And then here are a few others that I have taken over time.

View attachment 104934View attachment 104935View attachment 104936View attachment 104937View attachment 104938View attachment 104939View attachment 104940

All of these are taken with a Nikon D3200, using a Nikon 35mm, Tokina 11-16mm or a Tamron 70-300mm. For the astro images I also have an iOptron Skytracker.

Nice work!!! Now grabbing a shot of a moving subject while on a moving platform that is very skillful!! Those sky shots are beautiful along with the landscape. Haven't seen selective color in awhile, I like it!!

When I was at University I badly missed my dog so decided to buy an early digital camera to have photos of him when I was away. The Fuji Finepix 1400z has laughable specs now with its 1MP sensor, 3x zoom, iso 100 max, bulky 4xAA batteries and unreliable smartmedia card. However the quality was a big step up from many of the 0.3MP MF devices at the time and being able to see your photos straight after and e-mail them was an incredible improvement to using film. This is a typical shot of a very wet Jake at one of his favourite spots:

DSCF1116-X2.jpg

I moved onto bridge cameras and then my first DSLR which was an Olympus E-500 which I bought because it was a good deal and I didn't understand DSLRs at the time. I stuck with the system for a few years after:

P4136120-X3.jpg

P5293734-X3.jpg

When Jake passed away and Alfie arrived I was getting fed up with the misbehaving Olympus E-3 so I decided to change up to full frame with the Nikon D700 which was a huge improvement with incredible autofocus, wide dynamic range and usable iso 6400:

DSC_1480-X3.jpg

DSC_6132-X3.jpg

I upgraded to the D750 which offered a bit more resolution and autofocus improvements:

DSC_0952-X3.jpg

DSC_3941-X3.jpg

DSC_9493-X3.jpg

I have a little Sony RX1 which is technologically a bit of a dinosaur these days but it offers an FF sensor in a very compact body with a sharp 35mm F2 lens making it ideal to take out on the bike with me:

DSC01595-X3.jpg

Last year I started with FF mirrorless with a Sony A7SII and DJI Ronin-SC with the intention of working on low light video but I'm not great with video and still struggling to get good results since I'm not spending the time I should. The clean high iso is impressive though:

DSC00294-X3.jpg

I decided to try a Sony A9 just before Christmas enticed by the electronic shutter on it and unfortunately not been able to do much with it due to the lockdown but from what I've seen of it the camera is incredible. In normal use the electronic shutter is very quick, silent and no blackout then if you want to shoot fast it can sustain a blistering 20fps up to 240 shots with tracking continuous AF and still no blackout in the EVF.

SA900764-X3.jpg

I was thinking about my original little Fuji and its iso limit of 100 and wishing you could get a camera with super high iso that could photos in darkness which is what we have now. The dog was out hunting for a hedgehog late at night around half 11 well after the sun had set when I could barely see him in the low light but the camera managed to lock on with its autofocus and take this shot at iso 20,000:

SA908382-X3.jpg

I'm frustrated with myself for taking very few photos these days and need to make more effort to get out more and take photos so I work my way through all the bad ones to get back to getting good ones.

Great shots! You have had some collection of camera's, your Fuji reminds me of an Olympus CZ3000 I started with, 3mp and 60mb smart cards. Oh how camera tech has come from back them, lol. Beautiful shots of your dogs, especially the jumping mid air one. Those action shots are great, I love those events as you can practice all day with moving subjects. I love that train shot, always fascinating machines.

Last edited:
I think this is a good off topic thread that will interest me. Some beautiful pics folks!
Most of my equipment is sub standard but works for me as an amateur photographer. I also lack editing skills but do enjoy shooting some of my club members aircraft for our club calendar each year.
View attachment 105077View attachment 105078View attachment 105079View attachment 105080View attachment 105081View attachment 105082View attachment 105083View attachment 105084View attachment 105085View attachment 105086View attachment 105087View attachment 105088View attachment 105089View attachment 105090

Great shots here!!! Nice work panning and locking in focus on the aircraft. I used to go to the national airshow when it would come to my city, always great practice to pan and track those planes and jets, a bonus to get the vapor barrier.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada