DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Northern Beaches Sydney

I love the ferries in Sydney, very relaxing way to travel on a summer's Arvo , last time we were there we bought some pass that allowed unlimited travel, saved a packet with the pricey single fares, still no way to get around that stupid airport fee though.
I agree, the train fare to/from the Sydney airport is pure robbery. Stupidity too, as most Sydney tourists now start off with a bad experience … all so the government can grab a few bucks.

A short vid of the Northern Beaches of Sydney, my local area. Taken on a Mavic Air 2.

Enjoy!
Love it. I was in Sydney when CV19 took hold, I got "stuck" in Potts Point for 2 additional weeks, making my stay over 6 weeks (what's not to like?), I wish I'd had my drone then! You'll know what was special about this ship docking :)

Next time...

49711417696_34b15bec76_k.jpg

Reactions: TerryToast
Love it. I was in Sydney when CV19 took hold, I got "stuck" in Potts Point for 2 additional weeks, making my stay over 6 weeks (what's not to like?), I wish I'd had my drone then! You'll know what was special about this ship docking :)

Next time...

View attachment 131907

Nice photo : )
What's the story with the ship in the pic ?

Trouble is being locked down in Sydney and having a drone is there're so many NFZs.
Probably not a big deal you didn't have a drone when there last, the WHOLE of Sydney Harbour is a no fly for example, except for a couple of little spots out by the heads.

Nice photo : )
What's the story with the ship in the pic ?

Trouble is being locked down in Sydney and having a drone is there're so many NFZs.
Probably not a big deal you didn't have a drone when there last, the WHOLE of Sydney Harbour is a no fly for example, except for a couple of little spots out by the heads.
That was the cruise ship, Celebrity Solstice. they allowed in then realised many of the passengers had positively tested but had to go home through Sydney and the onward hubs.

I'd not really considered NFZs but I can see the issue, so much low flying traffic in the harbour area. That's a bummer, a flight around the VIVID festival would be awesome.

That was the cruise ship, Celebrity Solstice. they allowed in then realised many of the passengers had positively tested but had to go home through Sydney and the onward hubs.

I'd not really considered NFZs but I can see the issue, so much low flying traffic in the harbour area. That's a bummer, a flight around the VIVID festival would be awesome.

Ahhh, THAT ship.
Yes, it was a bit of a blunder in the early stages of the covid episode.

Without taking things off topic too far, I hope things are going ok in your part of the World, different countries trying different strategies now covid is here to stay, one day we'll see who is taking the better path.

Ahhh, THAT ship.
Yes, it was a bit of a blunder in the early stages of the covid episode.

Without taking things off topic too far, I hope things are going ok in your part of the World, different countries trying different strategies now covid is here to stay, one day we'll see who is taking the better path.
Indeed and a quiet, if slightly eerie KX and Potts Point hence a walk around the harbour with the camera....

All ok, much better here than I think the general media portrays. Pleased we're all double jabbed and getting out and about, not convinced by the restrictions being lifted in the way they are, geography, population density and travel patterns create more of an issue here but that'll work itself out.

I see you're all locked down again in SYD - hope that's not too onerous

Next time...

View attachment 131907
Beautiful pic!

I’m in shock that you were actually on the Celebrity Solace. That cruise ship was topping the Australia news for weeks. It was nuts.

Mavic_South_Oz is correct in saying that most of Sydney Harbour is a No Fly Zone.

I have also heard the Australian government is using “DJI Aeroscope” to locate and catch anyone flying near the Harbour Bridge & Opera House. That seems extreme, but they claim they had on average 1 drone per week crashing into the Harbour Bridge, so it was effectively “raining drones” onto the cars/traffic using the bridge. Not ideal.

Reactions: ijpears
Beautiful pic!

I’m in shock that you were actually on the Celebrity Solace. That cruise ship was topping the Australia news for weeks. It was nuts.

Mavic_South_Oz is correct in saying that most of Sydney Harbour is a No Fly Zone.

I have also heard the Australian government is using “DJI Aeroscope” to locate and catch anyone flying near the Harbour Bridge & Opera House. That seems extreme, but they claim they had on average 1 drone per week crashing into the Harbour Bridge, so it was effectively “raining drones” onto the cars/traffic using the bridge. Not ideal.
To be clear I wasn't on her! I was in Aus for work (Canberra and Sydney) with a trip to Melbourne to stay with relatives and I got caught up in the lockdown and then worse when Singapore closed their borders.

I've heard about DJI geofencing and Governments using that, never seen it evidenced but I'm not willing to try. Seems sensible to be careful around the harbour.

Reactions: TerryToast
To be clear I wasn't on her! I was in Aus for work (Canberra and Sydney) with a trip to Melbourne to stay with relatives and I got caught up in the lockdown and then worse when Singapore closed their borders.

I've heard about DJI geofencing and Governments using that, never seen it evidenced but I'm not willing to try. Seems sensible to be careful around the harbour.
Here is the article where I read about it.

Aeroscope for the airports seems like a no brainer. One idiot flying a drone around an airport can cause the whole airport to shut down. And like most countries, Australia has no shortage of idiots.

However Aeroscope and the No Fly Zone for the majority of Sydney Harbour, is overkill in my opinion. Arguably it is required around the Harbour Bridge, Opera House and Navy base, but neither is required around the majority of the Sydney harbour which is less busy and less populated than the rest of Sydney.

Last edited:
Reactions: ijpears
Great video! ! !
im running a pocket 2 and iPhone 12
both have unique advantages. The 12 has better dynamic range, slightly better picture and tolerance to poor shooting conditions also great to get the 12 pro to have wide, normal and tele 2x. The pocket has a gimbal, always level, smooth, does not need good lighting for stabilization. Something I need to do and does seem like it would be great for your artistic style, check out tilt lock and using it with a long selfie stick to get the drone like shot and more. . . .

Great video! ! !
im running a pocket 2 and iPhone 12
both have unique advantages. The 12 has better dynamic range, slightly better picture and tolerance to poor shooting conditions also great to get the 12 pro to have wide, normal and tele 2x. The pocket has a gimbal, always level, smooth, does not need good lighting for stabilization. Something I need to do and does seem like it would be great for your artistic style, check out tilt lock and using it with a long selfie stick to get the drone like shot and more. . . .
I definitely want a gimbal, so I was thinking of combining an iPhone 12 with a DJI Osmo Mobile 4. I think that should give me the best footage.

Maybe I’m wrong though. I’ve never compared the iPhone + OSMO combo footage to the Pocket 2 footage.

If weight and quick setup is a non issue for you I'd go for it! I did but for me, trying to climb hard and fast, it was too bulky and slow set up but I think for more dedicated camera work like you do, it really shows!!!, it will be awesome. Advantages of gimbal and I phone/computational video I think beat out the Pocket 2. Obviously turn off phone stabilization when using the OSMO. . .

If weight and quick setup is a non issue for you I'd go for it! I did but for me, trying to climb hard and fast, it was too bulky and slow set up but I think for more dedicated camera work like you do, it really shows!!!, it will be awesome. Advantages of gimbal and I phone/computational video I think beat out the Pocket 2. Obviously turn off phone stabilization when using the OSMO. . .
I can handle the 15 second set-up time and the small footprint of the iPhone plus OSMO gimbal. That’s manageable and the video quality is pretty good.

What I can’t stomach is the 90 second set-up time and the big luggage sized bag required for a proper semi-pro camera, multiple lens and gimbal (eg Sony A7S III, four lenses plus a Weebill S). That is too just much.

Keep in mind that with regular cameras, I’ll set-up and film easily 10-20 times per day over a period of 8 hours (each time I see something cool on the street) so the set-up needs to be fast and easy. Run and gun.

Lastly, comparing this to my DJI Mavic Air 2. That takes about 60 secs to set-up and launch and the bag is a medium size. I don’t mind this so much, as the way I use my drone is to go to one location, set-up once and fly for an hour.

I'm right there with you, I used a G85 MFT and 2 lenses super wide and 10x tele, it was great quality, easy grading but. . . a PITA always shaky with any handheld. . . Now it's phone, pocket 2, GoPro. . . drone. One thing I will say about the pocket 2, if you are going for "candid" street shots. That thing is so small people don't really notice it compared to anything else really. . . .
I used to use my air 2 exactly the same way but, then when I got a mini 2 I realized it or the air 2 can be more. My smallish front mounted hip pack can carry the Air 2 or Mini 2, controller and spare batteries, no more taking off the backpack! and you even have the nice pouch right in your lap to hold stuff as you deploy your drone. I do always find a comfy elevated place to sit, plop down and whip it all out quickly and safely using the pouch as my 3rd hand.
Terry, I am really impressed with your work, I assume you are a pro in some capacity. I hope we can be buddies and exchange ideas here and perhaps privately. Please visit my channel and skim a newer video and you'll see my set up and why ultra light and fast is the best way for me. . . I'm going to do the same with your channel. Cheers Brother!

I'm right there with you, I used a G85 MFT and 2 lenses super wide and 10x tele, it was great quality, easy grading but. . . a PITA always shaky with any handheld. . . Now it's phone, pocket 2, GoPro. . . drone. One thing I will say about the pocket 2, if you are going for "candid" street shots. That thing is so small people don't really notice it compared to anything else really. . . .
I used to use my air 2 exactly the same way but, then when I got a mini 2 I realized it or the air 2 can be more. My smallish front mounted hip pack can carry the Air 2 or Mini 2, controller and spare batteries, no more taking off the backpack! and you even have the nice pouch right in your lap to hold stuff as you deploy your drone. I do always find a comfy elevated place to sit, plop down and whip it all out quickly and safely using the pouch as my 3rd hand.
Terry, I am really impressed with your work, I assume you are a pro in some capacity. I hope we can be buddies and exchange ideas here and perhaps privately. Please visit my channel and skim a newer video and you'll see my set up and why ultra light and fast is the best way for me. . . I'm going to do the same with your channel. Cheers Brother!
Sadly I just learnt that Active Track for the OSMO4 does not work if you are using the Filmic Pro App or the native iPhone video App. Active Track only works with the DJI Mimo App.

To fix this, DJI would need to extend the SDK for the OSMO 4 to provided support for Active Track. I don’t know if/when DJI will do this.

To solve this issue I could use the DJI Mimo App to record my video, but the video quality would be poor (17Mbps). So that isn’t really an option.

Lastly, I’m certainly not a Pro, just an amateur who shoots video as a hobby. Happy to connect though, as you have done great stuff on your channel. I’ll send you a DM.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacjes