DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Northern California Airborne (Bay Area)

Treasure island is a great place for SF cityscape shots. Most state parks are also available with a few exceptions. Unfortunately the East Bay regional Park district has a drone ban on all of its parts. San Mateo County Parks also ban drones. As far as the coast is concerned, everything south of Pescadero is a marine mammal protected area. That means you cannot fly over the water but you can fly over land.

I'm thinking about heading to SF this weekend to go check out the DJI store there. Perhaps pass through Treasure Island to get some shots of the cityscape as you suggested. Is there a suggested spot on the island where I can launch?

Last edited:
I'm thinking about heading to SF this weekend to go check out the DJI store there. Perhaps pass through Treasure Island to get some shots of the cityscape as you suggested. Is there a suggested spot on the island where I can launch?

Anywhere along the western waterfront is good for cityscape views.

Reactions: MavicPeter
Heading to San Jose this weekend for a party at Almaden Lake Park. Anyone know if there is restrictions flying there? More wanting to get a group photo from above but will also fly a little if I can.

New to the forum, but thought I’d answer about Treasure Island, since I flew there for the first time today. Great parking at the residential areas along the NW side of the island, with sweeping SF and Alcatraz views. LZ on surrounding bike/walking paths. Parking adjacent to dog park on West 9th Street allows for clear flight path to the Bay Bridge.

Responding to this older post for the benefit of us newbies here in the Bay...

Almost zero restrictions out here until coastal.

Great info on an entire area to fly, Steve. I’m planning my weekends these days based on advice like yours...thanks.

Beautiful pic, too, by the way!

Reactions: MavicPeter
I've been a nature/wildlife/landscape photographer for years in Marin County. Finally pulled the trigger on M2P after years of waiting. THEN I discovered that almost all my favorite places in Marin are NFZ! FAA has redlined the National Seashore areas for miles. MMWD, Marin County Open Space and Marin State parks are NFZ. And tiny private airports have big yellow zones marked on AirMap. (As a Mtn Biker I face other county wide restrictions)

The reality here is pretty disappointing, but as I read about countless Mavic Mini crashes, I can't imagine restrictions being lifted. I wouldn't want some noob flying over my family for a first flight.

When I fly, it is always in remote areas, and NEVER over people, homes, roadways, or wildlife.

Hello, my name is Steve and live in west Sonoma county California, cazadero to be exact. I fly an M2P. I use Airmap to check where I fly. Along the Russian River valley to the coast are very few restrictions. Hit me up I know cool places to fly.

Thanks Steve. Unfortunately Airmap only indicates federal & airport restrictions -at least in Marin. It doesn't indicate the CA State Parks, Municipal Water District, and County Open Space lands which are also off limits. I was so stoked to finally get my MP2 -the perfect device for carrying in a backpack (I'll take the size/weight of this bird over lighter models for the features & IQ). Then I found that almost all the areas I've been shooting from the ground for years were NFZ. C'est la vie!

Reactions: pelagic_one
Thanks Steve. Unfortunately Airmap only indicates federal & airport restrictions -at least in Marin. It doesn't indicate the CA State Parks, Municipal Water District, and County Open Space lands which are also off limits. I was so stoked to finally get my MP2 -the perfect device for carrying in a backpack (I'll take the size/weight of this bird over lighter models for the features & IQ). Then I found that almost all the areas I've been shooting from the ground for years were NFZ. C'est la vie!
Can anyone post more areas to fly in south bay? I am a new drone user and wants to take some scenic shots but dont want to drive to san francisco and beyond.

Can anyone post more areas to fly in south bay? I am a new drone user and wants to take some scenic shots but dont want to drive to san francisco and beyond.
Up on Mount Hamilton, you cannot fly at the Lick Observatory, but if you drove east on 130 just a few minutes past the observatory, you’ll find pull-offs where you can fly around some beautiful peaks.

To see the newest Apple campus, you can fly from the second story of the little parking garage located west of the campus across the street (adjacent to 99Ranch Market).

Winchester Mystery House is a good flyover opportunity during the early morning hours before it gets busy, from just across Olsen Drive to the north.

Morgan Hill, Gilroy and San Juan Bautista have some good parks with views.

And for ocean views, Santa Cruz through Capitola have some beautiful spots to fly, but you’ll want to fly in the mornings before all that foot and vehicular traffic.

I always consult an app like Aloft, and gain LAANC approval if needed.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrose