DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Not a Good Friday for my Mavic

Hobienut

Reactions
My completely trouble free Mavic died yesterday with a terrible mistake by its pilot. I was flying it in sport mode over a small salt water turning basin in Florida from my dock. It was only 15 feet above the water (like I've done hundreds of times) going near 40mph. I tried to climb, but made a terrible mistake and used the left stick to "pull up". (thus pulling the stick towards me like I would in an airplane) Of course, the drone immediately dove at high speed into the drink before I realized what I had done.

I immediately donned my suit, and fired up my Hookah dive compressor. The water in the canals here is full of tannic acid from the mangroves, and the vis is between 1 foot and 6 inches. The depth was about 15 feet. I looked in vain for about an hour, groping along the mucky bottom. Returned to shore, grabbed my iphone and looked at the final death track, and found the final coordinates. Put them into my trusty Garmin, drove my Grady White out to the spot, and dropped the anchor. (hopefully not hitting the Mavic on the way down.) I tied a 20foot rope to the anchor and slowly swam in concentric circles, mask 6 inches from the muck. When I completed a circle, I shortened the rope, and swam in a tighter circle. I found it on the third circle.

After getting to shore, I immediately immersed the drone and battery in De-ionized water for several hours, then buried it in 20lbs of rice for 24 hours. By the way, the drone was not physically damaged with the impact of the water.

Today, I applied a charged battery to it...nothing. The battery is toast too. I bought the DJI insurance policy ($150), but I seem to remember is isn't valid if the drone goes in water. So now I have three good batteries, a good controller, a mavic bag, extra props, and ND filters for the cam. I guess I'll just have to buy another one. Makes me sick to my stomach.

Does anyone know if DJI sells just the drone without anything else? When I bought mine, that had a drone only option for $799, but I can't find it on their website now. I've seen a few "drone only" Mavics on eBay, but don't really want a "used" one. These things are too complicated not to have a full factory warranty.

You're good for the refresh insurance - there's no exclusion for water damage so you can claim and pay the fee ($79 if I recall correctly) to get another one.

Sucks about your mishap, but hopefully it won't cost you much more than a month without your mavic. Certainly fortunate you had diving gear and a good plan to systematically search for the remains.

Don't forget to strip your props off it before sending it in if they are undamaged, might as well have some more spares.

You're good for the refresh insurance - there's no exclusion for water damage so you can claim and pay the fee ($79 if I recall correctly) to get another one.

Sucks about your mishap, but hopefully it won't cost you much more than a month without your mavic. Certainly fortunate you had diving gear and a good plan to systematically search for the remains.

Yep, pretty sure it's covered per above. FYI, it's personal preference, but I never fly in sport mode. Mistakes happen far too fast, as you can now attest. And if you didn't have DJI insurance, yes, you can buy just the Mavic Pro.

As above, I believe you're covered for a replacement under DJI Care Refresh but they wouldn't attempt to repair water damage under DJI Care:

DJI Care Refresh - supported aircraft, scenarios, service process, FAQ and terms of service

Damage occurring after the product has come into contact with water is covered by the DJI Care Refresh. Product that suffers water damage can be replaced under DJI Care Refresh.

You've done well to get your Mavic back out of the water as that's often the problem for drones that crash into the water, if the owner can't get it back out of the water they can't claim for a replacement under DJI Care Refresh.

You are fully covered by DJI care refresh, it is going to cost you $79 to get a replacement unit. Plus it is going to take 3 weeks.

Great story and info... I always wondered what the outcome would be in this scenerio... Seems like you did everything right trying to revive it (kudos on that one mate!)... I might have waited a few days with it in the rice before powering... but still...

I think you would have had a success story had it been fresh water - salt water will short things out pretty quick, fresh water you might have a chance - and there are stories that indicate such.

I lost my first Mavic in fresh water but have not been able to recover it,,, when the water (river) calms down this summer and the water is clear I hope to find it... but I doubt what so ever after a couple/few months anything except the exoskeleton/frame will survive...

Yes, definitely, DJI refresh covers water damage and the sole reason I bought it this time around...

You guys probably just saved me $800-$1000. For some reason I thought it didn't cover water damage. Wow, I really appreciate that! Now my wife isn't so mad!

Best!
Glad it worked out and you found it! Just a reminder as to why a Getterback may help if your Mavic takes a swim, at least if you have DJI Refresh. The $18 spent on the Getterback could save several hundred dollars.

Reactions: MAVA4
There are several stick options other than the default.....maybe one of these will be more compatible to your flying style....

Not to rub salt in a gaping wound, but this is exactly why I never fly closet to the ground. Theres no room for error. Sorry for your bad day, and yes the others are correct. DJI will send you a new one for $79.00. Also, I would seriously consider getting a "Getter Back"

Don't forget to strip your props off it before sending it in if they are undamaged, might as well have some more spares.

And don't forget to send the RC with it. Another post on here was from someone that was having a hard time with DJI cuz they didn't send the RC too.

And don't forget to send the RC with it. Another post on here was from someone that was having a hard time with DJI cuz they didn't send the RC too.
Thanks All. The Getterback is on order. As to the suggestions to change the stick modes, I'll stay with the standard stick modes, but won't be an idiot next time. Will be VERY careful when I engage sport mode (and then, only at high altitude).

The return instructions say to include the drone, gimbal, battery and camera, but not the RC. Then later is says NOT to return the battery if it went in the water. (LiPos are unpredictable this way)

For those thinking about whether to purchase the DJI Care Refresh for $99, its a no brainer. It just saved me $822.

$99 DJI Refresh
+ $79 first refresh replacement
$178

Vs. $800-1000 to buy a new Mavic.

I love this drone. Its one of the most amazing pieces of technology I've ever seen. (I own a Tesla P85D, and fly a Boeing 777, so I have some experience with technology) :)

Can't wait to get the replacement, and will be more careful next time. Thanks to all on the forum for your suggestions!

Please don't get too comfortable with the Mavic and push up/in on the stick of your 777 while trying to climb. :) I can see how your instincts must have worked against you when flying a drone. Things happen very fast in sports mode.

Last edited:
Reactions: antoni
It does seem counterintuitive to push the stick forward to climb. I fear in a similar position I may do the same thing.
Glad you retrieved the drone.

I am missing the confusion here . The left stick is the throttle so up is more power hence up , down is less power so it goes down . Even in a RC airplane it's the right stick that would be the elevator that you would pull down to pitch the nose up . In any RC aircraft , down on the throttle will eventually put you in the ground .

I am missing the confusion here . The left stick is the throttle so up is more power hence up , down is less power so it goes down . Even in a RC airplane it's the right stick that would be the elevator that you would pull down to pitch the nose up . In any RC aircraft , down on the throttle will eventually put you in the ground .
Well it's quite clear like you said, but if you're habituated to airplane controls it sounds an entirely plausible thing to do in a moment of inattention - reverting to ingrained habits is a common threat in flying.

No confusion rydfree. Just drone incompetence. But, if you want to understand my reaction, sit in the Captain's seat of any real (not RC) fixed wing aircraft, and pull back on the control that you are holding in your left hand. If it doesn't climb immediately... well, you get the idea. (interestingly though, a first officer might be better suited for drone flying) ;)

It does seem counterintuitive to push the stick forward to climb. I fear in a similar position I may do the same thing.
Glad you retrieved the drone.

Flight controls for a quad are based off RC heli controls where the left stick up controls the collective up and down. For me it's ingrained and quite intuitive. Where things get a little weird though with the way DJI implements GPS mode. Nomally when you get forward speed built up with a heli you can also climb by pulling the right stick back which ends up being like controlling the elevator on a fixed wing aircraft.

No confusion rydfree. Just drone incompetence. But, if you want to understand my reaction, sit in the Captain's seat of any real (not RC) fixed wing aircraft, and pull back on the control that you are holding in your left hand. If it doesn't climb immediately... well, you get the idea. (interestingly though, a first officer might be better suited for drone flying) ;)
Something tells me Hobienut is going to be just fine in his role flying 777. I'd fly with you. Sorry about your mishap!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DJIMavic3cine