DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Not a good start to new year

Hayabusa

Reactions
Totally my fault and I knew better. Planned the entire day/ night to fly and film the fireworks, I live in South Beach so they always have a huge show. Got hone from work, read a dozen threads or so on what settings etc... charge everything up. Even talked wife into watching with me through goggles. Anyways, my plan was to launch from my condo, fly over to beach which is about 4-5 blocks away and film. Done it a thousand times. I decided to launch from my front catwalk ( im
On 4th floor) I usually launch from my balcony with a makeshift launching pad that connects to my balcony railing and hangs out about 3’. Now I have launched before from the catwalk so though no problem.
Well the ball dropped and I decided to launch. Edited and waited for gps to lock but would not. I was under an overhang so though I could go go up and out and it would then aquire satalite., so I started to slowly rise up as I only had about 4’ between wall and metal railing. As soon as I got off ground the wind picked up and it stayed to quickly blow towards me. I tried to push left stick down to land but it just blew towards me and right into a chair, chopping away and making horrible sounds till it finally shut down. After some choice words to start off the new year, I had to laugh off and discover a few broken props. I hope that’s all!
In hind sight I should of just went up and out as planned but I panicked . In the best scenerio, I should have just launched from my balcony as I usually do.
So in short- I did not fly as I want to put new props on tomorrow and check it in open area to make sure all is ok. Any advise on any other things to check/ look for?
I hope everyone had a great new year. I’m really not that upset. ( New Years resolution) it could have been way worse and I learned a lesson.

Happy New Year!

Mike

Thanks for sharing something to add to the 'not-to-do-list!'. Sorry to hear about the damage to your Mavic - and hope that it was just the prop's ...

@ least it goes out w/ a BANG!sarcasm
HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Lol
My wife from around the other side of condo on opposite balcony said all she heard was props grinding and cuss words. She then said “ he’s gonna be pissed”
Gonna test out this afternoon. Should I go ahead and recalibrate everything?

Lol
My wife from around the other side of condo on opposite balcony said all she heard was props grinding and cuss words. She then said “ he’s gonna be pissed”
Gonna test out this afternoon. Should I go ahead and recalibrate everything?
Only if it ask for it or if you noticed something off.

Upon closer inspection I noticed the camera was not attached properly to the vibration board. Was able to manipulate and get back together. I went ahead and calibrated the gimbal, tasted it inside and worked fine. Then I took out to park to fly and test. Everything seemed to be working as designed.
I should keep that clear lens cover on it while I fly. Does it cause any distortion in video or pictures? Or is there a better cover out there that’s good to fly with? Ventilation etc...

Thanks

Upon closer inspection I noticed the camera was not attached properly to the vibration board. Was able to manipulate and get back together. I went ahead and calibrated the gimbal, tasted it inside and worked fine. Then I took out to park to fly and test. Everything seemed to be working as designed.
I should keep that clear lens cover on it while I fly. Does it cause any distortion in video or pictures? Or is there a better cover out there that’s good to fly with? Ventilation etc...

Thanks
The standard Mavic Pro Gimbal protector dome should be removed for flight, because it will distort pictures and video - and [if this is a Mavic Pro 1 series] does prevent airflow into the cooling fan behind the Gimbal assembly. There are some 'Sun Hood' type protectors available that will allow you to fly with the Gimbal shielded ...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sun-Hood-D...0&sr=8-5&keywords=Mavic+pro+gimbal+protection

The standard Mavic Pro Gimbal protector dome should be removed for flight, because it will distort pictures and video - and [if this is a Mavic Pro 1 series] does prevent airflow into the cooling fan behind the Gimbal assembly. There are some 'Sun Hood' type protectors available that will allow you to fly with the Gimbal shielded ...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sun-Hood-D...0&sr=8-5&keywords=Mavic+pro+gimbal+protection

Maybe I’m reading it wrong but said you don’t fly with it. I want one that I can fly with to protect but not impact vids or pics. I’ll research more thoroughly.
Thanks

Maybe I’m reading it wrong but said you don’t fly with it. I want one that I can fly with to protect but not impact vids or pics. I’ll research more thoroughly.
Thanks
Yes - that is exactly what I'm meaning. The type of 'Sun Hood' protector I'm suggesting, is like the protective 'dome' but has a cut-out that gives you clear-air in front of the camera lens - and allows airflow through for cooling.
SunHood.jpg

Yes - that is exactly what I'm meaning. The type of 'Sun Hood' protector I'm suggesting, is like the protective 'dome' but has a cut-out that gives you clear-air in front of the camera lens - and allows airflow through for cooling.
View attachment 57501
I’ll look at it again. Thought reviews said only fir protection but not actual flying. I was multi tasking at the time so most likely read it wrong.
Thanks again

I’ll look at it again. Thought reviews said only fir protection but not actual flying. I was multi tasking at the time so most likely read it wrong.
Thanks again
Yes - definitely 'fly with it on' type product ... I don't use one myself, but can see the value ...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1