DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Not sure how it happened but FAA canceled my 107 cert.

jaysrmc

Reactions
I received a letter today that my Part 107 has been canceled due to TSA background check, although I passed it and I have had part 107 for 6 months. Not in trouble, never received any citation for flying. Assumed it was a mistake, FAA said too bad. I requested a hearing. Not sure what the heck is going on. I just got my security clearance upped too. No criminal background. Never had a problem flying, I have TSA pre-check and just called and it is still active.. Kinda sucks but on the bright side I will be going to Cuba for 6 months pretty soon.. (This could be the reason they canceled it but I have been traveling to Cuba for years.) So I can post those videos on youtube without having the 107.

I know lots of folks say they can't fly in Cuba but my mother works for the government so I am able to get a permit. She said regular folks can get permits for 100$ a month by going to the Civil Aviation office that I pasted below. You MUST Call in advance and ask in Spanish for a permit because they have started to confiscate drones at the airport. You will have to wire the funds because they can not process US debit cards or Credit cards. If you have never been to Cuba before, you won't get approved. If you are a US citizen, you will not get it approved at this time.

*Edit I forgot to mention that they do not like giving permits for drones out and they have a monthly Quota that they can't go over.

Civil Aviation Office
Calle 23 # 64, Vedado, Municipio Plaza de la Revolución, Ciudad de La Habana, Cuba

Telefono: 33 4949 Fax:334553 [email protected]

Last edited:
Reactions: Nathan Hoover
Maybe your name is the same as someone on the no-fly list? What security clearance did you just get? Are you an American citizen? Going to Cuba, probably didn't help, but I doubt that would be an issue, as I travelled regularly to Russia. Caught flak for that, but that was job related.

Reactions: jag32266
Dang, man. That stinks. Hope you get it straighten out soon.

Thanks. I just finished up sending emails to Aviation attorneys. Lets see what they have to say. My buddy had to hire one to fight a ticket for flying over a County Park even though he didn't land or take off from the park. He beat it in court. Cost him about 400 bucks but if the citation stood, he would have lost his 107.

Maybe your name is the same as someone on the no-fly list? What security clearance did you just get? Are you an American citizen? Going to Cuba, probably didn't help, but I doubt that would be an issue, as I travelled regularly to Russia. Caught flak for that, but that was job related.

Sorry forgot to reply to your post

I was born in the Swiss Embassy because my father was stationed there as an American he had Crypto can't say much more about that situation other than I have dual citizenship Swiss and American. It was confidential but the DOE issued me L because I do some work with OIL, NG and other types of pipelinesI was born in the Swiss Embassy because my father was stationed there as an American he had Crypto can't say much more about that situation other than I have dual citizenship Swiss and American. It was confidential but the DOE issued me L because I do some work with OIL, NG and other types of pipelines

Didn't they state a reason for you being terminated?

Didn't they state a reason for you being terminated?

Yes, they said the TSA background check but that was done 6 months ago. So who knows.. I should find out when the hearing is set. I will request a Video Conference hearing so that it speeds things up.

Thanks. I just finished up sending emails to Aviation attorneys. Lets see what they have to say. My buddy had to hire one to fight a ticket for flying over a County Park even though he didn't land or take off from the park. He beat it in court. Cost him about 400 bucks but if the citation stood, he would have lost his 107.

And people think they're clever and are beating the rules by not taking off in the park. Goes to show how it's not worth it: wasted time and money over some footage.

And people think they're clever and are beating the rules by not taking off in the park. Goes to show how it's not worth it: wasted time and money over some footage.

Yes and no.. Now there is case law that anyone can go into court and show.

Last edited:
Reactions: RC5728
What a hassle. Thanks for the info on Cuba. I've been once and am thinking of going later this year.

So you say US citizens can't get a permit in Cuba but you mom got you one? Sounds like your swiss, US, cuba background is becoming a concern.

Reactions: BikerAlan74
Yes and no.. Now there is case law that anyone can go into court and show.

A case law doesn't mean that you're going to win, and even if you do win, how much time is wasted? Any time I've gone into court, it is roughly half of the day wasted. Plus the time dealing with the officer. That's a lot of time, and therefore money, and you still aren't guaranteed to win. All over what? Some footage? That'd have to be a very expensive shoot to possibly justify wasting all that time.

Reactions: BigAl07
So you say US citizens can't get a permit in Cuba but you mom got you one? Sounds like your swiss, US, cuba background is becoming a concern.

No don't think so. 10 years in the Army, I am sure that this would have came up a lot sooner. Besides CID did a very extensive background check on me before I was even allowed to go to basic training. 13Foxtrot here. That is correct US citizens can't get a permit there.

Last edited:
A case law doesn't mean that you're going to win, and even if you do win, how much time is wasted? Any time I've gone into court, it is roughly half of the day wasted. Plus the time dealing with the officer. That's a lot of time, and therefore money, and you still aren't guaranteed to win. All over what? Some footage? That'd have to be a very expensive shoot to possibly justify wasting all that time.

To each his own I guess.

What a hassle. Thanks for the info on Cuba. I've been once and am thinking of going later this year.

If you go, try to get a trip to Santiago De Cuba and then over to Guantanamo NOT THE MILITARY BASE.. lol
I spent most of my child hood in Havana but would often visit family in those cities.

Reactions: Nathan Hoover
Great idea, blame the hobbyist for challenging an obviously illegal rule rather than rolling over.

Some of you guys are so pathetic.

Case law
Great idea, blame the hobbyist for challenging an obviously illegal rule rather than rolling over.

Some of you guys are so pathetic.

Some people just don't stand up for what they believe in..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velmapeterson