DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Not the best first drone experience

joy oh joy, there is one thing this new MM has given this forum,and that is something to talk about, instead of flyaways, battery puffing, and updates etc,etc,

well just for now anyway,so we should be grateful ,that for a while we will be advising all those new MM owners who get a drone for christmas ,how to make it last longer than boxing day
how to find it when it flies away, how to look after the batteries so they dont burn down the house i could go on and on but it will pass the time whilst this crappy weather persists to keep us grounded at least here in the UK

Last edited:
I have now got a reply from DJI support and replacement form has been filled and the process is under going. How long does these replacements take?

By the way, i did come across a case yesterday that was identical with my errors. Exactly the same error messeges and the lack of possibility to do a IMU calibration. The conclusion from the support rep. on the DJI forum was replacement. The scenario of rushing these things to market before blackfriday and 11/11 seems resonable.
How long it takes is a tough question right now for this model.

Bad batch could and often does happen.
I tried to return my wife, but the warranty period had expired.
Now wait . . .
You’re telling me they come with a warranty?!? Aghhhhhhh, I knew I should have asked!

I went back to the store and got it refunded with out problem. Ordered a new one from an other store online. Get it tomorrow. Hope i get a drone from a better batch :)

It´s really unclear how you should do the first flight and setup. It´s says nothing about any calibration in any manual and by the way, you dont get the manual in the box. Ypu have to get online and find it on there website. It should be a much clearer description how to set it up and prepear for the first flight.

Any one with alot of experince that got a check list how to set up the drone out of the box?

I went back to the store and got it refunded with out problem. Ordered a new one from an other store online. Get it tomorrow. Hope i get a drone from a better batch :)

It´s really unclear how you should do the first flight and setup. It´s says nothing about any calibration in any manual and by the way, you dont get the manual in the box. Ypu have to get online and find it on there website. It should be a much clearer description how to set it up and prepear for the first flight.

Any one with alot of experince that got a check list how to set up the drone out of the box?
you really must get the manual from the website it explains everything you need to know on how to understand the workings of the drone the only other thing to do is watch vids on YT on how to do the various procedures

Here’s the full DJI manual, about 60 pages:

Reactions: old man mavic
I too, had to do the calibrations. For IMU calibration, the secret is to place the Mavic Mini (MM) into the same position as shown in the pictures, then it will advance the picture, showing one the next position to place the MM. Then there is the compass dance calibration, this will seem strange to newbies. The gimbal error also is a DJI feature that occurs when one turns on the drone without taking off the gimbal protector. Then the firmware update took what I felt was a long time. I had to restart the application, after the calibrations, for the firmware to even start downloading. The batteries came really, really low, so I had to charge them before I did anything. They charge in sequence, so the one that is flashing is charging. I first used one not flashing thinking it had been charged since it had been in the charger a long time. Be very very careful inserting the cable to charge the controller. I see in the posts that someone already has broken theirs. My Mavic Air controller connector also broke the first time I used it. I also had to pay to get it fixed, as DJI will not fess up to having a part that breaks.
My maiden flight was indoors, low light, prop guards on. The 2.7K video was very grainy. After rendering it, post processing didn't help. The compression was very noticeable. Hopefully the pictures will be better, or the 1080 setting will be better. I had a 32GB 100MB xfer speed SD card installed just to be on the safe side. The MM will not fly until calibrations and firmware are done.
Overall, the drone flew better indoors than Zino, Fimi, JJRC, Potensic, Parrot Anafi, and Locke. Flew as well as the Mavic Air. Nobody has come close, as of yet, to DJI's stability. The Skydio2 has my attention. Its got a camera supposedly as good as the Mavic Pro2.

Reactions: delazon
I too, had to do the calibrations. For IMU calibration, the secret is to place the Mavic Mini (MM) into the same position as shown in the pictures, then it will advance the picture, showing one the next position to place the MM.

Great you got yours to work. I was stuck att the firt step of the IMU. I could not tap the start button. Nothing happend. I could not move forward to do all these calibration due to the IMU wasnt able to start. It´s returned now and im getting a new one today. Fingers crossed it´s in good shape and i can be flying tonight :)

I too, had to do the calibrations. For IMU calibration, the secret is to place the Mavic Mini (MM) into the same position as shown in the pictures, then it will advance the picture, showing one the next position to place the MM. Then there is the compass dance calibration, this will seem strange to newbies. The gimbal error also is a DJI feature that occurs when one turns on the drone without taking off the gimbal protector. Then the firmware update took what I felt was a long time. I had to restart the application, after the calibrations, for the firmware to even start downloading. The batteries came really, really low, so I had to charge them before I did anything. They charge in sequence, so the one that is flashing is charging. I first used one not flashing thinking it had been charged since it had been in the charger a long time. Be very very careful inserting the cable to charge the controller. I see in the posts that someone already has broken theirs. My Mavic Air controller connector also broke the first time I used it. I also had to pay to get it fixed, as DJI will not fess up to having a part that breaks.
My maiden flight was indoors, low light, prop guards on. The 2.7K video was very grainy. After rendering it, post processing didn't help. The compression was very noticeable. Hopefully the pictures will be better, or the 1080 setting will be better. I had a 32GB 100MB xfer speed SD card installed just to be on the safe side. The MM will not fly until calibrations and firmware are done.
Overall, the drone flew better indoors than Zino, Fimi, JJRC, Potensic, Parrot Anafi, and Locke. Flew as well as the Mavic Air. Nobody has come close, as of yet, to DJI's stability. The Skydio2 has my attention. Its got a camera supposedly as good as the Mavic Pro2.
Skydio2 has a 1/2.3" sensor, M2P has 1" Skydio2 can't do better than the M2P in that regard. But it can do better than the M2Z as they both have the same size sensor.

I never buy this first generation/batch of anything.....cars, computers, drones....whatever. Give it 6 months and see what the beta testers (oops, I mean initial customers) say.

I never buy this first generation/batch of anything.....cars, computers, drones....whatever. Give it 6 months and see what the beta testers (oops, I mean initial customers) say.
Amen!
Especially true of any DJI product.
Ride the second wave, not the first!

Reactions: fr4nszzz
Hello there!

Im a first time drone owner and i got the Mavic Mini with the fly more combo yesterday on launch day. Super happy i got the one and only in stock in my town. :)

But the excitment was and the duzz was short lived. After i charged every battery, controller and read the start up guide it was time to fire it up. I realieze its a complex machine and it takes some time to get things going but i started to get worried when this messeges keepes popping up in the app over and over again after restart after restart and even after firmware upgrades and re-flashing of firmware.

I didtn get the propellers turning one second. And i couldnt do the IMU calibration as well. When i start up the calibration nothing happens when i tap the start button. See the images i attach too this post.

I contacted DJI support on facebook and they told me i needed a replacement. ****. i just want to fly! Now im not shure if i want it at all. If it is this difficult to get things running maybe i should wait for later versions. Or what have you guys to say about it?

View attachment 85367
Bad batch maybe?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13