DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Not the K word, please!

Jamesz

Reactions
Hi
Pilots on this forum are rightly enthusiastic about drones; they see the potential to save lives and build businesses, to capture amazing scenes and simply for the sheer joy of flight. However, not everyone else shares this view. To some drones are noisy, dangerous, intrusive flying spy cameras that threaten their tranquility or provoke worries of being spied on. We all know how you poorly you can identify people from higher up, that our drone is en route to a super shot of that sunset, not spying on their sunbathing children - but they most likely won't.
That's why I really don't like the stereotyping of anyone who complains about drone flights as 'a Karen'. It's got unpleasant, sexist overtones- complainers are shrieking, unbalanced women not to be taken seriously, while we must be be in the right 'cos what we do is not illegal.

You don't win an argument with insults, you have to engage rationally. Instead of throwing out labels, we should just maybe try to see things from the other side now and again and try to educate, patiently. Are drone pilots truly relaxed with an unknown drone cruising over their own house, or feel comfortable with a long lens pointed at you in the street. Object, and you might be labelled...

Hi
Pilots on this forum are rightly enthusiastic about drones; they see the potential to save lives and build businesses, to capture amazing scenes and simply for the sheer joy of flight. However, not everyone else shares this view. To some drones are noisy, dangerous, intrusive flying spy cameras that threaten their tranquility or provoke worries of being spied on. We all know how you poorly you can identify people from higher up, that our drone is en route to a super shot of that sunset, not spying on their sunbathing children - but they most likely won't.
That's why I really don't like the stereotyping of anyone who complains about drone flights as 'a Karen'. It's got unpleasant, sexist overtones- complainers are shrieking, unbalanced women not to be taken seriously, while we must be be in the right 'cos what we do is not illegal.

You don't win an argument with insults, you have to engage rationally. Instead of throwing out labels, we should just maybe try to see things from the other side now and again and try to educate, patiently. Are drone pilots truly relaxed with an unknown drone cruising over their own house, or feel comfortable with a long lens pointed at you in the street. Object, and you might be labelled...
Not only do I agree, my first ex-wife’s name was Karen. Point taken. Godspeed, Droniac

Well said! Enjoy safe and happy flying.

Reactions: dfross
You do what you think is right. Karen is a valid stereotype for a reason. The world is full of them and if they see fit to intrude into my world in a highly aggressive manner, you bet they’ve just earned “Karen” - at the very least. Life is too short to put up with bs.

Last edited by a moderator:
The name Karen will surely have slipped to last place in girls names by now.
Who would do that to their newborn girl nowadays ?
You’ve got to feel for all the real Karen’s out there with a real complaint, they’d mostly hold their tongues now for fear of having to state their name !

You can't put yourself in a Karen's shoes unless you too are a Karen. The whole point of the name is that the person is not rational and over the top. There is NO explaining fact or reality to them...that's the entire meaning of Karen.

You do what you think is right. Karen is a valid stereotype for a reason. The world is full of them and if they see fit to intrude into my world in a highly aggressive manner, you bet they’ve just earned “Karen” - at the very least. Life is too short to put up with bs.
Use of this forum assumes users respect its requirements. Seems to me, use of derogatory terms is out, no?

Use of this forum assumes users respect its requirements. Seems to me, use of derogatory terms is out, no?
No one is calling another member any names. Would you rather we just called these people "Crazy Deranged Mental Deficients"?

The best way to handle someone who is complaining about you flying, is taking the time to show them what you do and how it works. If they see, that from an altitude of 50 meters in a distance of 75 meters it is hard to identify someone (not imposible, but hard), most of them start rethinking their objections.
When approached, I normally tell them to wait for a moment so i can get the drone in safe and have time to talk to them. Until today, it always worked.

You’re way out of line. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and that is mine. Maybe Canadians are used to having their speech stifled, but definitely not so here in America.
Here are my usual self imposed "rules of drone flying when confronted by people."

Dale's Drone Flying Rules of People Confrontation
1. number one- don't even fly near people if possible (stealth technique)
2. If people are near, go somewhere secretive to fly- under a tree for example, or behind a building, I am too nervous and compulsive to fly from my car-afraid I'll lose VLOS.
3. If confronted by a person or people, ask them to allow you a moment to land.
4. Once landed, try to show them your screen. They will either be (A) receptive or (B) combative. If receptive, you have already won the battle, you clever, smooth talker! (B) if they are combative, simply remove yourself from the situation as soon as possible.

I'd say the majority of my flying is in the stealth category-e.g.: bullet point number 1. That avoids all the remaining categories. It is mandator in cities. In the wide open spaces, there is no problem.
Dale
Miami

Hi

I’m with you! I have a sister-in-law named Karen. She’s one of the nicest people you’d want to meet. I’ve never liked this sort of labeling and stereotyping.

Reactions: br14nh
I’m still very new at all this. I fly mostly in a retirement community for my business and use the footage to inspect gutters for issues. As of late I might get one or two residents thinking the drone is invading their space. After many fussing outs by them we sent out a flyer to each Villa and apartment. We explained the whats and whys, explained the safety of using a drone over laddering a building. Also explained if they saw us they were welcome to come view the screen.

Just like at the range, or on the boat…education is a key to understanding.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Britt