DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Not very artistic, but I unexpectedly captured pouring of a hot slag in the ironworks.

I'd be hesitant to get closer. Heat rises - the temperature coming off that pile could be intense. You could cook your drone without even knowing it was feeling the heat.

Cool vid though - did the camera change it's exposure settings automatically as it was sitting there or did you adjust that manually?

Mezmerising, i couldn't stop watching
Wonder why they do that?

Not in the steel game, but that'd be the waste 'slag' left over from the process.
You can see a previous pour as the OP flies closer, they must 'bund' up around the zone and pour it in to make big blocks.
Most likely broken up later, maybe it's used in some way. ship ballast or something else productive, or maybe it's returned to the ground as landfill.

Reactions: CraigObe
I'd be hesitant to get closer. Heat rises - the temperature coming off that pile could be intense. You could cook your drone without even knowing it was feeling the heat.

Cool vid though - did the camera change it's exposure settings automatically as it was sitting there or did you adjust that manually?
I adjusted the exposure setting to try to capture some details in the hotter parts of the picture.

Nice video. So the slag is ground and used for traction or does it have a chemical composition that melts ice and snow?

Very nice! Loved how you adjusted the exposure setting so we could see the details in the molten metal. You sure timed that trip right!

My husband many years ago drove the trucks that collected and tipped the slag. That was at skinningrove works. Uk. Back in 1974. Works still there. Cool vid. He will love to see this when I get home

My husband many years ago drove the trucks that collected and tipped the slag. That was at skinningrove works. Uk. Back in 1974. Works still there. Cool vid. He will love to see this when I get home
I looked at satelite images of British Steel at Skinningrove, it looks quite simillar to our facility. I hope one day we will see a video of it from you. I have been working in London for two years. Happy and safe flying from Slovakia.

Interesting capture, I am wondering why that casting... what would be the reason.

Interesting capture, I am wondering why that casting... what would be the reason.
They collected this waste slag from the furnace and dumped it outside. The reason is to get rid of it. Later it is broken, ground and sold to municipalities to sprinkle on the winter roads for friction.

Reactions: m80116
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Weepo67