DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Note to self - not on a windy day

Brojon

Reactions
I don't think the MPP handles wind anywhere near as well as the standard MP, or maybe it's the props.
We had a gusty morning and my MPP was being tossed like a rag.- literally moving about a foot in every direction.
I sent it up about 60 feet and the wind was taking it away - had to put it in sport mode to bring it back.
Anyone else flown theirs in breezy conditions?

Reactions: wsteele and ZUCSTA
Same. Practically impossible for the aircraft to hold a position in windy conditions. 10mph winds or so. Sport mode is a must to get the craft back. Wouldn’t rely on RTH in windy conditions depending on distance from home.

I don’t fly if the wind is above 10-12 mph. Not that I don’t think the Mavic can cope with it, it’s just that I don’t feel relaxed in higher winds. So I’m surprised the previous poster cites 10 mph winds as problematic for the Platinum.

My MP I flew in gusts as high as 15 mph. Caused a few problems in flying but I could handle it.
This MPP just doesn't like breezes at all.

Reactions: lweekspors
My MP I flew in gusts as high as 15 mph. Caused a few problems in flying but I could handle it.
This MPP just doesn't like breezes at all.

Could you put on original MP blades to resolve the wind issue then on non breezy days fly with the MPP blades?

If you knew this ahead of time would you have not made the MPP purchase?

Reactions: Brojon
Up to 22 gusts today in S. Texas and I took up the MPP here in the front pasture in front of the house. I did not go high, only up to about 80 ft. However, it held its own well. I took it over a wooded area and it stayed smooth and made the trip but on the way back it could not overcome the headwind and could not move until, as a previous comment stated, I put it in Sport mode. Then it did move on at a decent speed to get back over to the house. There was no static, movement in the video monitor. It was still smooth. I was actually impressed

Reactions: GENESIS671
Well ive flown mine with the red warning of.high wind velocity and it sat perfectly still with moving a few inch here and there at 380 ft up didnt have a problem and never put into sport mode.

The mavic goes like 22 or 25 miles an hr in gps mode so if the winds going faster than that then you deff need sport mode but if the wind is less than that then you should be able to make progress

Just be glad you guys know what your doing and not one of the people that panic and then make mistakes and wreck there drone lol

Up to 22 gusts today in S. Texas and I took up the MPP here in the front pasture in front of the house. I did not go high, only up to about 80 ft. However, it held its own well. I took it over a wooded area and it stayed smooth and made the trip but on the way back it could not overcome the headwind and could not move until, as a previous comment stated, I put it in Sport mode. Then it did move on at a decent speed to get back over to the house. There was no static, movement in the video monitor. It was still smooth. I was actually impressed
I'm Hill Country so we got a lot of the same.
Wondering if there's an issue - seems awful unsteady compared to my MP.
I think I'll try try the suggestion on stock props.

I'm Hill Country so we got a lot of the same.
Wondering if there's an issue - seems awful unsteady compared to my MP.
I think I'll try try the suggestion on stock props.
I dp hear alot abput carbon fiber props for high wind cause there not as flexible so they push air harder and better im sure there is more science to it. But ive seen videos people talk about having carbon fiber for high winds and reg props for low to no wind

Its the props I think. I noticed with the regular MP on new props, slight instability in high winds, something that I never had with the standard noisy props. I think there's got to be a tradeoff somewhere for the noise reduction.

Reactions: emthood
Well ive flown mine with the red warning of.high wind velocity and it sat perfectly still with moving a few inch here and there at 380 ft up didnt have a problem and never put into sport mode.

The mavic goes like 22 or 25 miles an hr in gps mode so if the winds going faster than that then you deff need sport mode but if the wind is less than that then you should be able to make progress

Just be glad you guys know what your doing and not one of the people that panic and then make mistakes and wreck there drone lol

I had mine out today. Flying into (reported) 14mph headwind. Cruising speed (set by Litchi) was 17.5 mph but progress into the wind slowed down to about 4mph. After letting it fly for about 5 mins into the wind and managing only 25% of what should have been a 10 minute mission (in still air) I decided to call it home. On the way back it got up to 23.25mph.

I was very pleased I'd started off into wind. Had the wind been blowing in the opposite direction I fancy I could be drone hunting about now.

PS. Actually this offers an interesting insight into Litchi or the Mavic. It seems that my desired cruising speed was reduced to a 4MPH by the headwind (which was likely higher than reported). And increased on the return leg by the tailwind.

I'd have expected that the control system to compensate for lower/higher than planned speed by increasing/decreasing power body angle etc. It seems to have taken the desired cruising speed as airspeed not groundspeed. I'd kind of expected that errors in speed would have been corrected against groundspeed(as calculated from GPS position), up to the limits of max power.

Last edited:
I’ve just put mine up on Blackpool beach. This is the first time I’ve used my Mavic for a few weeks, as there haven’t been many calm days, and it’s the first time with the new props. I only went to about 4 metres high because the gulls around here can have a somewhat regrettable attitude at times, but I did notice the drone was swaying by about half a metre for a while after it stopped moving forward. This might have been due to flying over sand, with nothing visible for the optical sensors to latch onto. It settled down after a few seconds. It was a more pleasant noise though.

I had mine out today. Flying into (reported) 14mph headwind. Cruising speed (set by Litchi) was 17.5 mph but progress into the wind slowed down to about 4mph. After letting it fly for about 5 mins into the wind and managing only 25% of what should have been a 10 minute mission (in still air) I decided to call it home. On the way back it got up to 23.25mph.

I was very pleased I'd started off into wind. Had the wind been blowing in the opposite direction I fancy I could be drone hunting about now.

PS. Actually this offers an interesting insight into Litchi or the Mavic. It seems that my desired cruising speed was reduced to a 4MPH by the headwind (which was likely higher than reported). And increased on the return leg by the tailwind.

I'd have expected that the control system to compensate for lower/higher than planned speed by increasing/decreasing power body angle etc. It seems to have taken the desired cruising speed as airspeed not groundspeed. I'd kind of expected that errors in speed would have been corrected against groundspeed(as calculated from GPS position), up to the limits of max power.

Not that this would be a good resolution, could you have set Litchi to run the mission at 30mph? I fly a P4 and that's the speed I often run. Also, could you have sped up the mission you were running by manually pushing the throttle to fly faster than 17.5 it was set to? Assuming you also flew with the forward sensors off. With the sensors on your max speed is probably reduced. It may have helped a bit get you through the mission.

Last edited:
Not that this would be a good resolution, could you have set Litchi to run the mission at 30mph? I fly a P4 and that's the speed I often run. Also, could you have sped up the mission you were running by manually pushing the throttle to fly faster than 17.5 it was set to? Assuming you also flew with the forward sensors off. With the sensors on your max speed is probably reduced. It may have helped a bit get you through the mission.
Good points! I'd set a slower speed than max for filmic purposes and in fact I was too preoccupied dithering over whether to press RTH or not to think of manipulating the throttle. And, unless Litchi turns the forward sensors off, they would have been on. Interesting points and a few things to experiment with next time.

Im glad im not the only one who brainstorming why MPP is not good at wind, I had a flight the other day and it started to drift away, pushing the stick forward and it kept drifting until I had to switch to sports mode to bring it back, Oh and P-mode on headwind it moves like a turtle, MP handle the wind well but not MPP, probably it's the new prop I would assume

I've had both the MP and now the MPP and yesterday I had several great flights in pretty gusty winds and high altitudes and had zero issues. In fact, the MPP seems to handle high winds better than the MP.

Also, as a bonus, the MPP has a MUCH better camera sensor than my previous MP. It's night and day.

I noticed this issue as well with my new MPP. In slight wind it would sway and not be very steady... and it may be in my head, but it just didn't seem as responsive as the original MP I had.
I thought something was wrong with the MPP so I calibrated and re-calibrated and tried a lot of different settings, but nothing seemed to change.

If not for having the original MP I may not have noticed. I couldn't shake the feeling something was wrong with the MPP so I sent it back to DJI before my 14 days were up.

I'm not sure yet if they are refunding or repairing. My plan was to order another one if they refunded, but now I'm not sure if this is just how they are.

The mavic pro i just bought use and after a few calibrations i flew it in about 15 mph winds yesterday and handled it well just couldn't get top speed out of it. but it flew like a champ.

Reactions: lweekspors
I noticed this issue as well with my new MPP. In slight wind it would sway and not be very steady... and it may be in my head, but it just didn't seem as responsive as the original MP I had.
I thought something was wrong with the MPP so I calibrated and re-calibrated and tried a lot of different settings, but nothing seemed to change.

If not for having the original MP I may not have noticed. I couldn't shake the feeling something was wrong with the MPP so I sent it back to DJI before my 14 days were up.

I'm not sure yet if they are refunding or repairing. My plan was to order another one if they refunded, but now I'm not sure if this is just how they are.

I almost returned mind but changed my mind and decide to keep it to monitor

The mavic pro i just bought use and after a few calibrations i flew it in about 15 mph winds yesterday and handled it well just couldn't get top speed out of it. but it flew like a champ.

You purchased a Mavic Pro or Mavic Pro Platinum?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olab