DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Now... I hate my Mavic

Random155

Reactions
When I first got my mavic back months ago, I absolutely loved this thing. But now with the new updates and with Android Nougat, this bird is now a huge liability and a bigger waste of money. Every time I fly, since the DJI update and the Nougat update, I am constantly getting "signal interference" in my front yard, where I never had this issue before. I get constant disconnects from the DJI app which leaves me scrambling to find my Mavic at its last location. I dont fly far at all, its just that there a lot of trees in my neighborhood, so if I go past the first few homes, I cant see it. None of this was an issue when I first got my Mavic. I have zero joy of flying it now, and just think about when its not going to come home. Sorry, for the rant. I just wasted a thousand dollars on this thing and im too scared to fly it now.

When I first got my mavic back months ago, I absolutely loved this thing. But now with the new updates and with Android Nougat, this bird is now a huge liability and a bigger waste of money. Every time I fly, since the DJI update and the Nougat update, I am constantly getting "signal interference" in my front yard, where I never had this issue before. I get constant disconnects from the DJI app which leaves me scrambling to find my Mavic at its last location. I dont fly far at all, its just that there a lot of trees in my neighborhood, so if I go past the first few homes, I cant see it. None of this was an issue when I first got my Mavic. I have zero joy of flying it now, and just think about when its not going to come home. Sorry, for the rant. I just wasted a thousand dollars on this thing and im too scared to fly it now.
I'm sure there's a rational explanation. The newer firmware is indeed more sensitive to picking up interference, but I really don't think the reception is worse. If anything the range on my drone on the newest firmware is better. From my house, I can fly over to the nearby hotel and fly around it that it 3 km out, and still get good signal. I also get the signal interference warning, and it's probably just picking up the wifi in between me and my drone. I'm not familiar with Android, even less with Nougat, but the disconnects seem to only be happening on the app level? It sounds like your drone is still connected to the RC. This means the cable from the RC to the phone may be loose or bad. Try observing that and see if it is indeed the cable. If you disconnect on the app, but the RC doesn't say connecting, then try unplugging the cable from the RC/Device and plugging it back in.

Ill have to give that a try. Next flight Im going to give Litchi a shot and see how that turns out. The remote stays connected to the bird the whole time. Thanks for the reply.

Ill have to give that a try. Next flight Im going to give Litchi a shot and see how that turns out. The remote stays connected to the bird the whole time. Thanks for the reply.
You may be looking at a bad connection from the RC to the phone then. It could be the cable, or the software is glitchy. I'm betting it's the cable though. As long as the RC is still connected to the drone, you still have full control over it, even if you are flying blind. If you have RTH configured correctly, and don't want to fly blind, you can always push and hold the RTH button on the RC and the drone will come back to you.

Reactions: Former Member
Have you tried it out with iOS instead of Android? I don't disagree with you that everything should function better, on either platform, with a recent firmware update. And, I do wish that were the case across the board, but it's not....

Reactions: skychatham
You may be looking at a bad connection from the RC to the phone then. It could be the cable, or the software is glitchy. I'm betting it's the cable though.

Ill try a new cable. Just hard to believe that once both systems were updated everything goes crazy. I uninstalled and reinstalled DJI4 and that didnt help.

Have you tried it out with iOS instead of Android? I don't disagree with you that everything should function better, on either platform, with a recent firmware update. And, I do wish that were the case across the board, but it's not....

Yeah I know Im not the only one with problems on Android Nougat.... but cmon DJI fix this please.

Ill try a new cable. Just hard to believe that once both systems were updated everything goes crazy. I uninstalled and reinstalled DJI4 and that didnt help.
It could be a coincidence. Don't you just love them?
Yeah I know Im not the only one with problems on Android Nougat.... but cmon DJI fix this please.
Android has known problems, but it usually results with the app crashing than anything else.

It could be a coincidence. Don't you just love them?

Android has known problems, but it usually results with the app crashing than anything else.

I absolutely think its just the app. But I really need the app to make this a thing that I enjoy. Its fun flying close by in line of sight. But when Im out on my boat on the sandbars I have no confidence in this thing returning to me if I go out of line of sight.

I would hardly call that "disabling" a "feature" which you posted and then deleted. That doesnt help me much. My complaint is that things should get better with updates, not 10x worse.

You are sadly mistaken on how things work. Your aircraft will perform less as time goes on due to how dji does each of their models. I have been a part of the main sister website to this one since 2013, and I have witnessed them jack up EVERY ONE starting with the 1st phantom.

On my P3P I stopped updating all firmware after 5 months. Several others stopped as well. If you do continue to update, you should at least wait 10-14 days after any updates comes out before installing it into our aircraft. Let others find out what does and doesn't work. Don't just wait for one person to post and say they installed and have had no trouble. They likely have a different device or something else then what you do and then you end up into an issue.

I do know exactly how you feel though. One of the worse things is to find out you can no longer fly as far, or battery doesn't last as long, or any performance loss just sux.

And before we go any further, I mean no disrespect to those who love their mavic. At one time it was an awesome drone for me too

Reactions: CopperClub
You are sadly mistaken on how things work. Your aircraft will perform less as time goes on due to how dji does each of their models. I have been a part of the main sister website to this one since 2013, and I have witnessed them jack up EVERY ONE starting with the 1st phantom.

On my P3P I stopped updating all firmware after 5 months. Several others stopped as well. If you do continue to update, you should at least wait 10-14 days after any updates comes out before installing it into our aircraft. Let others find out what does and doesn't work. Don't just wait for one person to post and say they installed and have had no trouble. They likely have a different device or something else then what you do and then you end up into an issue.

I do know exactly how you feel though. One of the worse things is to find out you can no longer fly as far, or battery doesn't last as long, or any performance loss just sux.

Roger that... the truth.

Reactions: mavic6611
I had similar experience after updating to the latest firmware and using the Epson BT 300 with the Mavic Pro. Take off and within 10 or so meters getting disconnect messages in DJI Go, Camera freezing etc...I changed my USB cable to Big Blue, which is a short 15cm. (also make a 25cm version). A thick rubberised cable, which is supposed to withstand the rigours of constant twisting, plugging and un-plugging of usb connections. So far no disconnections or freezing of the app. Ask me again after 5000 flights....

BigBlue 2 Pack 0.8ft Silicon Micro USB Cable, Flexible: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Last edited:
Reactions: skychatham
I absolutely think its just the app. But I really need the app to make this a thing that I enjoy. Its fun flying close by in line of sight. But when Im out on my boat on the sandbars I have no confidence in this thing returning to me if I go out of line of sight.
If it's the app, then rolling back your Android OS is the better solution, but testing simpler solutions first to find your problem is less complicating. FW .600 more reliable than .400 and far more reliable than .500 IMO.

Roger that... the truth.

The absolute best advice currently for you is, roll back the firmware. It's pretty much the same as installing it. They offer this option and it's one that you should take advantage of.

Btw, are you ios or android?

I had similar experience after updating to the latest firmware and using the Epson BT 300 with the Mavic Pro. Take off and within 10 or so meters getting disconnect messages in DJI Go, Camera freezing etc...I changed my USB cable to Big Blue, which is a short 15cm. (also make a 25cm version). A thick rubberised cable, which is supposed to withstand the rigours of constant twisting, plugging and un-plugging of usb connections. So far no disconnections or freezing of the app. Ask me again after 5000 flights....
When the app disconnects, it's usually is the cable. I have enough experience with that to say it's usually the cable, which is why I suggested @Random155 try a different cable. BTW, Random155, if you're going to use the bottom USB port on the RC, make sure there's nothing plugged into the side port or the bottom port won't connect to anything.

Reactions: MrsTreat
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet