DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Now the councils are starting to ban drones!

viking1

Reactions
Recently on a trip here in Australia, saw this sign at a lookout towards a mountain range. Just wondering if we are heading in the same direction as what occurred when mobiles began having cameras. Many swimming pools and some schools started banning mobile phones. When will people learn that it's easier to provide an area for drone flying under certain rules, that an outright ban which no-one enforces anyway.
councilLawondrones.jpg
Has anyone else started to see this?

Looks fake, anyone could have made that sign. A real council sign would state which by-law you would be contravening and would likely give contact details for you to obtain the required permit.

Reactions: dekip
This was in Queensland, i.e. the Glass House mountains..

I’m in SEQ now for a few weeks, and some of the best drone tolerance I’ve seen Aust wide.
Will be a shame if councils start doing this, similar to all (but qld) national parks etc, just blanket banning drones before there are even any issues.
Mostly Nat Parks and state forest areas around Glasshouse, councils have no say on their or CASA rules I imagine, even major events, with crowds etc, all covered / controlled by CASA rules on flying (30m) rules etc.

I fly some parts of the coastline mentioned in the article, have never seen any signs.
But then I don’t go to Moseley Square at Glenelg or similarly busy places.
If I wanted to film any of the many jetties from a distance I’d probably do it early morning with no crowds.
I’m in Onkaparinga council area and fly parks around the region with no problems or such signs (as yet).

The legal issue is interesting. CASA controls the airspace, not the councils. However, they could, maybe, stop you from operating the drone based upon where you were standing with your RC.
You are not allowed to operate a drone in a conservation park. But what if you stood outside a CP and flew your drone into it?
Or what if you stood inside a CP and flew your drone entirely outside of it? The law isn't clear. Down in the Fleurieu the council has given itself the power to designate council owned property to be drone free.
However, I'm not sure that they have so far enacted that rule regarding any specific property.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000