DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Nowhere to fly?? NOWHERE!!!

Reactions
A little help PLEASE!!
I've got my mavic like a week ago and the only place I was able to fly it was....guess where!
In my living room!!!
I live 4-5 miles away from the O'Hare airport and from what I know, I can fly my drone but I need to let them know about it.
I called the airport and what they told me is to use the B4U Fly app.
So while I was like 4 miles away, this app was saying with red capital letters "Do Not Fly Your Aircraft".
Then I was downtown Chicago, I had the same problem cause its always some hospital around, or heliport or school or all together!
I really don't know what to do cause I don't have registered my drone (based to the new law), I'm new, I don't want any problems with anybody but at the same time seems really frustrating!
This B4U Fly app, seems that it will never let me fly!!!

Reactions: cargoBob
Well, the car and the pushy are not very helpful at the moment. Not even you bro with your advices, except the fact that I didn't know that there is an pause button. Thanks for the info thought.
I'm new "pilot" and I would appreciate a bit of help and how you start in general by choosing a place to fly and what you need to know, cause as I mention, I'vre read that you CAN fly withing 5 miles away from the airport but if you gonna use this B4U Fly app, I don't think this is possible

A little help PLEASE!!
I've got my mavic like a week ago and the only place I was able to fly it was....guess where!
In my living room!!!
I live 4-5 miles away from the O'Hare airport and from what I know, I can fly my drone but I need to let them know about it.
So while I was like 4 miles away, this app was saying with red capital letters "Do Not Fly Your Aircraft".
Then I was downtown Chicago, I had the same problem cause its always some hospital around, or heliport or school or all together!
I really don't know what to do cause I don't have registered my drone (based to the new law), I'm new, I don't want any problems with anybody but at the same time seems really frustrating!

I have flown in Chicago. All over Lake Michigan!

Reactions: Dimitri d'Athènes
You are probably near one of the busiest airports, very nice area I have been out there for work many times. You might want to try and find a local hobby store that sells RC planes and ask were they fly or look for your local AMA club and ask them.

B4UFly is not a very good App. Air map is much better. It will provide more accurate locations of airspace and will also give rules and recommended practices for flying under recreational rules vs commercial rules. As others have said however, you should look for safe, open space to learn to fly.

Best

Steve

A little help PLEASE!!
In my living room!!!

If you are within 5 NM (5.75 miles) of O'Hare then you are in surface Class B airspace, and that means that you cannot fly recreationally just by notifying them - Class B airports are excluded from that rule and you need specific ATC permission and coordination. Beyond that distance the regular rules regarding notifying other airports, heliports etc. apply.

Airspace Restrictions

Airports
Recreational operators are required to give notice for flights within five miles of an airport to both the airport operator and air traffic control tower, if the airport has a tower. However, recreational operations are not permitted in Class B airspace around most major airports without specific air traffic permission and coordination.​

You are probably near one of the busiest airports, very nice area I have been out there for work many times. You might want to try and find a local hobby store that sells RC planes and ask were they fly or look for your local AMA club and ask them.

That's a good idea actually, to ask a hobby store and ask them about it.
Thank you

If you are within 5 NM (5.75 miles) of O'Hare then you are in surface Class B airspace, and that means that you cannot fly recreationally just by notifying them - Class B airports are excluded from that rule and you need specific ATC permission and coordination. Beyond that distance the regular rules regarding notifying other airports, heliports etc. apply.

Airspace Restrictions

Airports
Recreational operators are required to give notice for flights within five miles of an airport to both the airport operator and air traffic control tower, if the airport has a tower. However, recreational operations are not permitted in Class B airspace around most major airports without specific air traffic permission and coordination.​

Ok, now makes sense!!
Thank you sar

I feel you brother this is western PA that big glob of green top right is about 2 hours away and nothing really worth shooting I made a mistake need a new hobby IMG_2167.PNG

Tell me about it bro!!!!
I have a question by the way: If I fly my mavic for maybe 10-20 meters high, is it still illegal???
I wish I knew. This crap is so confusing. I love 4 miles from Pittsburgh airport. I've lifted off without an issue but then it started to drift on its own. Quite obvious the geofencing was giving me butthurt.

If flying recreational, call Ohare ATCT and give them your coordinates. They will determine if you're in their Bravo airspace or not. Or you could look it up on a sectional or on SkyVector. Just because you're within 5 NM does not mean you're automatically in Bravo. A number of folks assumed my location was in Bravo airspace because my preferred flying location is 4 NM from the airport but when I emailed the FAA rep who handles their part 101/107 requests, she along with ATCT confirmed the location was good to go.

I encourage you to be proactive and call. The folks are friendly and helpful, at least in my experience.

Reactions: Montoyee
There is a lot of bad information in this thread.
The only accurate way to determine if you are in class B airspace is by looking at a chart that depicts it. It is quite easy to find a link to the O'Hare chart.
The 5 miles is statute, not nautical.
That airspace starts at the surface and you need approval to fly in it.
As you get further from the geographic center of the airport, the vertical dimensions change, but within 5 stature miles its surface to 10,000' MSL.
Be very careful of "advice" given in these threads.

If flying recreational, call Ohare ATCT and give them your coordinates. They will determine if you're in their Bravo airspace or not. Or you could look it up on a sectional or on SkyVector. Just because you're within 5 NM does not mean you're automatically in Bravo. A number of folks assumed my location was in Bravo airspace because my preferred flying location is 4 NM from the airport but when I emailed the FAA rep who handles their part 101/107 requests, she along with ATCT confirmed the location was good to go.

I encourage you to be proactive and call. The folks are friendly and helpful, at least in my experience.

Friendly my ***....I called them already the very first day and guess what the told me: to use the B4UFly app which is crap and it’s full of no fly zones

Friendly my ***....I called them already the very first day and guess what the told me: to use the B4UFly app which is crap and it’s full of no fly zones

Keep calling and perhaps change the approach. Eventually you'll get someone who is more helpful. The first contact I had wasn't great either and the guy was rather dismissive. Next two were friendly and helpful.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998