DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NYC laws

ihavequestions

Reactions
It seems like there's a grey area of what is allowed with the mini. Or maybe it's just me that is fuzzy. But some things are hard facts like you don't need to register it. But there are others that I'm wondering about. I understand the difference between state and local city laws. But if I fly in a place that has cops, will the mini be considered a toy or be considered a drone? I wonder if cities make a distinction at all.

Here's what NYC law is: 2006 New York Code - :: Avigation In And Over The City.

It seems like there's a grey area of what is allowed with the mini. Or maybe it's just me that is fuzzy. But some things are hard facts like you don't need to register it. But there are others that I'm wondering about. I understand the difference between state and local city laws. But if I fly in a place that has cops, will the mini be considered a toy or be considered a drone? I wonder if cities make a distinction at all.

Here's what NYC law is: 2006 New York Code - :: Avigation In And Over The City.
I don't know if the FAA makes that distinction between a toy and a sUAV like Canada does. I will be interested to hear what people say.

I am guessing that if you get what most would consider a "toy" drone into controlled airspace or use it to photo your sunbathing neighbor, I would guess someone is gonna be pissed, lol. On the other hand flying a crappy foam toystory 2 themed quad at the public ball diamond at 10' with your kids probably won't raise may eyebrows.

In terms of local laws and cops it will mostly come down to they can charge you with stuff and issue tickets but it will be you that will need to know how your stuff applies to the laws they are trying to enforce. Ignorance is not an excuse on either side, yours or the police. Know you stuff and be respectful and nonconfrontational and things will go a lot more smoothly.

On a side note I believe law enforcement in NYC have access to a DJI tool that grab info directly from your equipment as you fly and they can use it to enforce their stuff. Or this is just bits of an urban legend that has gotten stuck in my brain.

Last edited:
In the U.S. the only difference is that you do not need to register the mini with FAA, provided no weight is added and you are not flying with prop guards). All else applies.
Legally FAA controls all air above terra firma... but you’d probably have to go to court to get the state or city of New York to acknowledge this.

Strongly recommend getting faa b4ufly , and / or airmap or a similar application so that you are aware of the airspace you are in. Note that above the river is restricted air space (but not on the shore line), as well as some other locations near parks and bridges etc. Airmap is nice where you need to request lanac permission from the faa to fly and / or other various notams that you need to obey, however b4ufly is the faa official resource.

Strongly recommend getting faa b4ufly , and / or airmap or a similar application so that you are aware of the airspace you are in. Note that above the river is restricted air space (but not on the shore line), as well as some other locations near parks and bridges etc. Airmap is nice where you need to request lanac permission from the faa to fly and / or other various notams that you need to obey, however b4ufly is the faa official resource.
What he is talking about has nothing to to with the FAA. In NYC you can not take off or land within city limits.

c. Take offs and landings. It shall be unlawful for any person
avigating an aircraft to take off or land, except in an emergency, at
any place within the limits of the city other than places of landing
designated by the department of transportation or the port of New York
authority.
1. "Aircraft." Any contrivance, now or hereafter invented for
avigation or flight in the air, including a captive balloon, except a
parachute or other contrivance designed for use, and carried primarily
as safety equipment.

What he is talking about has nothing to to with the FAA. In NYC you can not take off or land within city limits.

c. Take offs and landings. It shall be unlawful for any person
avigating an aircraft to take off or land, except in an emergency, at
any place within the limits of the city other than places of landing
designated by the department of transportation or the port of New York
authority.
1. "Aircraft." Any contrivance, now or hereafter invented for
avigation or flight in the air, including a captive balloon, except a
parachute or other contrivance designed for use, and carried primarily
as safety equipment.
Yep, you're right. I'm talking about the city laws, although I'm curious of FAA as well on this topic. So basically, the city won't even allow you to fly a toy drone.

Yep, you're right. I'm talking about the city laws, although I'm curious of FAA as well on this topic. So basically, the city won't even allow you to fly a toy drone.
Oh you can fly it he just can’t land or takeoff within city limits.?

• Haha
Reactions: Gindra
Just as in the National Park system. You can take off 6 inches outside of the boundary, and then head on into the park. But remember, you have to also fly out of the park to land.
No touchy the ground inside said park.
Same as in NYC...
Just ask Casey N.... ? ?

Just as in the National Park system. You can take off 6 inches outside of the boundary, and then head on into the park. But remember, you have to also fly out of the park to land.
No touchy the ground inside said park.
Same as in NYC...
Just ask Casey N.... ? ?
Is that really true? So that applies to places like Liberty State park and statue of liberty?

I may be wrong, but I think a location like that may have "Enhanced Security Enforcement", as in a NFZ, nothing near or over it. Kind of like if you try to fly around/over the USS Constitution in Boston, or a football stadium during a game...
Now, if your out by the Devils Postpile NP, or Grand Canyon NP, unless there are no temp. flight restrictions, take off outside, fly inside, land outside.
The only sucky thing is, that all the neat stuff in the NP's, are well outside our flight range

Reactions: Chip D
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa