DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NYC drone "ban" under the guise of a permitting process.

Vic Moss

Premium Pilot
Reactions
As promised earlier, I was finally able to finish the article about the new NYC drone permitting process.

This is basically a ban under being introduced under the guise of an actual permit process. But the onerous nature of the permit process still basically acts as an actual drone ban.

Please take a moment and read the article, then comment. And yes, this can and will affect other cities if NYC passes this. As NYC goes, so do may other municipalities.

Please read and comment on the supplied links in the article.

As promised earlier, I was finally able to finish the article about the new NYC drone permitting process.

This is basically a ban under being introduced under the guise of an actual permit process. But the onerous nature of the permit process still basically acts as an actual drone ban.

Please take a moment and read the article, then comment. And yes, this can and will affect other cities if NYC passes this. As NYC goes, so do may other municipalities.

Please read and comment on the supplied links in the article.

Interesting read. Surprisingly similar to the local government policies enforced by the police in Rome (Italy). Which basically mean: if you want to film/photograph anything with a drone: pay up. Even Brits know NYC loves hiring out it's streets to the movie industry. Isn't it funny that these regulators and enforcers don't get pissy and parsimonious about "security, privacy and data protection" when there's a chance to squeeze a couple of hundred bucks out of every flight.

Reactions: Vic Moss

And exactly how 'bans' are effected in a lot of countries.
Some of our state controlled National Parks / local councils (city of *) say drone flight is ok with permissions, permits, etc, but the task to get the permit issued is difficult for professionals (doco makers, movies etc) and nigh on impossible for rec pilots . . . there is usually a hefty fee for them to process / assess permits.

Thanks for sharing, Vic Moss. This is an important topic as piloting drones in urban areas moves forward.

Lots of red tape in this proposal. I received an email from the AMA on this with some contact links. I will provide it here. Please state your concerns to our lawmakers.

Dear New York City AMA member:
The New York City Police Department (NYPD) has proposed regulations that would affect the flying of unmanned aircraft within New York City (NYC). This proposal would affect all model aircraft and drones, and require a detailed, lengthy, and costly permitting process. The good news is that the proposal provides an exemption for model aircraft flown at areas designated by the Department of Parks and Recreation. Fortunately, all of our chartered AMA clubs within the five burroughs are located at designated parks; however, all is not assured for our continued model aircraft operations and your help is needed.
Although our AMA clubs in city parks have an exemption in the NYPD’s draft proposal, there are no guarantees the exemption will remain in the final regulation. This is why your participation is critical! To help ensure that the exemption for NYPD Model Aircraft and Drone Permits remains for our chartered club flying fields, AMA is asking for your voice. As residents, taxpayers, city employees, retirees, or otherwise involved and responsible community members, your timely input and comments are critical. We need to tell the NYPD why the exemption is of vital importance for our community-based, family-oriented activity.
There are several ways that you can provide your comments to the NYPD. The first method listed below is provided by AMA as a convenient way to respond. Feel free to use any of the methods that work best for you. I would encourage you to have your significant others and family members to respond as well. Please note the important deadlines.
Utilize AMA’s government advocacy tool before July 7, 2023:
o https://oneclickpolitics.global.ssl.fastly.net/promo/5Pi
Visiting NYC rules website before July 7, 2023:
o https://rules.cityofnewyork.us/rule/applications-to-launch-or-land-an-unmanned-aircraft-including-a-drone/
Email the NYPD before July 7, 2023:
o [email protected].
Mail your written comments before July 7, 2023:
o NYPD Legal Bureau at One Police Plaza, Room 1406, New York, NY 10038 c/o Agency Attorney Melanie Braverman
Fax your written comments to the NYPD before July 7, 2023:
o (646) 610-8428
Speaking at the public hearing (register by June 30, 2023)
o 10 a.m. on July 7, 2023, in the auditorium on the first floor of 1 Police Plaza, New York, NY 10038. You must sign up to speak by calling (646) 610-5400 and asking for Melanie Braverman or by emailing your name and affiliation to [email protected] by June 30, 2023!
You can read the full text of the NYPD proposal here: https://rules.cityofnewyork.us/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/NYPD-Proposed-Rule-Take-Off-and-Landing-of-Unmanned-Aircraft.pdf.
On behalf of AMA and all of our NYC clubs and members, I thank you for being safe and responsible modelers. Should you have questions please feel free to reach out to me at (518) 356-2057 or [email protected].
My best,
EricWilliams-150_2400604.png

Eric Williams
AMA Vice President, District II

Reactions: Torque
Lots of red tape in this proposal. I received an email from the AMA on this with some contact links. I will provide it here. Please state your concerns to our lawmakers.

Dear New York City AMA member:
The New York City Police Department (NYPD) has proposed regulations that would affect the flying of unmanned aircraft within New York City (NYC). This proposal would affect all model aircraft and drones, and require a detailed, lengthy, and costly permitting process. The good news is that the proposal provides an exemption for model aircraft flown at areas designated by the Department of Parks and Recreation. Fortunately, all of our chartered AMA clubs within the five burroughs are located at designated parks; however, all is not assured for our continued model aircraft operations and your help is needed.
Although our AMA clubs in city parks have an exemption in the NYPD’s draft proposal, there are no guarantees the exemption will remain in the final regulation. This is why your participation is critical! To help ensure that the exemption for NYPD Model Aircraft and Drone Permits remains for our chartered club flying fields, AMA is asking for your voice. As residents, taxpayers, city employees, retirees, or otherwise involved and responsible community members, your timely input and comments are critical. We need to tell the NYPD why the exemption is of vital importance for our community-based, family-oriented activity.
There are several ways that you can provide your comments to the NYPD. The first method listed below is provided by AMA as a convenient way to respond. Feel free to use any of the methods that work best for you. I would encourage you to have your significant others and family members to respond as well. Please note the important deadlines.
Utilize AMA’s government advocacy tool before July 7, 2023:
o https://oneclickpolitics.global.ssl.fastly.net/promo/5Pi
Visiting NYC rules website before July 7, 2023:
o https://rules.cityofnewyork.us/rule/applications-to-launch-or-land-an-unmanned-aircraft-including-a-drone/
Email the NYPD before July 7, 2023:
o [email protected].
Mail your written comments before July 7, 2023:
o NYPD Legal Bureau at One Police Plaza, Room 1406, New York, NY 10038 c/o Agency Attorney Melanie Braverman
Fax your written comments to the NYPD before July 7, 2023:
o (646) 610-8428
Speaking at the public hearing (register by June 30, 2023)
o 10 a.m. on July 7, 2023, in the auditorium on the first floor of 1 Police Plaza, New York, NY 10038. You must sign up to speak by calling (646) 610-5400 and asking for Melanie Braverman or by emailing your name and affiliation to [email protected] by June 30, 2023!
You can read the full text of the NYPD proposal here: https://rules.cityofnewyork.us/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/NYPD-Proposed-Rule-Take-Off-and-Landing-of-Unmanned-Aircraft.pdf.
On behalf of AMA and all of our NYC clubs and members, I thank you for being safe and responsible modelers. Should you have questions please feel free to reach out to me at (518) 356-2057 or [email protected].
My best,
EricWilliams-150_2400604.png

Eric Williams
AMA Vice President, District II
It goes way beyond AMA fields in NYC. And it's another reason I have major disagreements with AMA leadership (they know, we've had those discussions).

This email is only geared towards the AMA fields. Yet the VAST majority of their local (& national) members will also be affected. And not just NYC r/c folks.

AMA is not a fan of drones, no matter what they say. All you have to do is look at their monthly magazine to prove that. Or go to a local field and see what kind of reception you get from the longtime club members. And yes, I am an AMA member, and have been for a while.

I just vehemently disagree with the way they use their strong voice for regulatory issues. Between this and their usual "copy and paste" instructions, they just don't get it. I wish Tyler Hobbs was more proactive.

It goes way beyond AMA fields in NYC. And it's another reason I have major disagreements with AMA leadership (they know, we've had those discussions).

This email is only geared towards the AMA fields. Yet the VAST majority of their local (& national) members will also be affected. And not just NYC r/c folks.

AMA is not a fan of drones, no matter what they say. All you have to do is look at their monthly magazine to prove that. Or go to a local field and see what kind of reception you get from the longtime club members. And yes, I am an AMA member, and have been for a while.

I just vehemently disagree with the way they use their strong voice for regulatory issues. Between this and their usual "copy and paste" instructions, they just don't get it. I wish Tyler Hobbs was more proactive.
The links are what is important. They are fighting their own cause to stay relevant. We need to band together in any way we can to make our voices heard. We are the minority on this. The money is behind automated drones for delivery by the behemoths. They want to clear the skys of hobby and small business drones. They have the ears of the politicians. If you follow the money it always leads you to the cause.

The links are what is important. They are fighting their own cause to stay relevant. We need to band together in any way we can to make our voices heard. We are the minority on this. The money is behind automated drones for delivery by the behemoths. They want to clear the skys of hobby and small business drones. They have the ears of the politicians. If you follow the money it always leads you to the cause.
The NYC proposal has nothing to do with delivery drones. And the big players do not want the skies to themselves. That's a falsehood spread by folks who don't know any better. I work with them, they don't want that.

The FAA has the intention of designating very limited airspace for drones, with exceptions, and allowing towns and cities to designate their own airspace for drone flying..which will never happen, That was the information I studied when re-validating my flight instructor rating last year. I haven't read anything about it elsewhere, but it was very upsetting to me, and I fear the worst. With the advent of drone delivery( a farce IMHO )the airspace has to be controlled and for sport drones that's a real bad thing.

The FAA has the intention of designating very limited airspace for drones, with exceptions, and allowing towns and cities to designate their own airspace for drone flying..which will never happen, That was the information I studied when re-validating my flight instructor rating last year. I haven't read anything about it elsewhere, but it was very upsetting to me, and I fear the worst. With the advent of drone delivery( a farce IMHO )the airspace has to be controlled and for sport drones that's a real bad thing.
That was in the 2018 FAA Reauthorization Act language, but there has been virtually zero movement on it.

Reactions: hiflyer201
The NYC proposal has nothing to do with delivery drones. And the big players do not want the skies to themselves. That's a falsehood spread by folks who don't know any better. I work with them, they don't want that.
The newest faa reauthorization of 2023 is going towards commercial delivery drones, and related bvlos leaving other regulations in place.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman