DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Proposed NYC Rule changes are horrid.

Vic Moss

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Call again for comments on the proposed NYC drone rules change.

As of today, there are only 13 comments, including one who is for the changes (it sounds like she hates drones, so there's that...). Mine will be approved within a day or so.

We need to comment on this, even if you don't ever plan on flying in NYC. If this passes, other cities may look at this as a great example of what they should do. And that would cripple the drone industry, both commercially and recreationally, just as it will in NYC if passed as written.

A few points:

First, these rules would not interfere with the FAA's sole authority to control the NAS. These are ground use rules, and cities and states are allowed to impose those. So please don't use that as an example of why NYC shouldn't do this. That's is incorrect, and your comments will lose credibility.

Make sure you let them know the notification requirements are onerous and would basically create the same "drone ban" they have now, except put it in actual ordinance instead of relying on an interpretation of a law from the 1940s.

Strongly suggest that the committee shelve this attempt at rule change, and instead start the process again, but this time work with all stakeholders in order to come up with a workable solution.

If NYC would do that, we can have a much larger voice. Because it's obvious to anyone who reads this proposal that the committee never bothered talking to those this would affect.

Also, mention that RID will be required on 9.16.23, and it will have much of what they want to know anyway.
So put together a reasonable and professional response, then go to their comment page (https://rules.cityofnewyork.us/.../applications-to.../), and comment.

This is imperative. Whether you fly under 107, or 44809, you need to comment.

Be professional.

I really want the Police to recruit drone pilots for more eyes in the sky so I took that approach.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water .

Last edited:
My two cents installed.
Thanks for your watchful eyes. This could very well be ugly at some point in other areas of the US.

Reactions: Hauptmann
Someone do an AI on this so we can all post a good response .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water .
Copy and paste responses are counter productive. Each needs to be unique and personal.

I’ll have an article with talking points tomorrow. I’ll post a link.

I ran this through ChatGPT with your talking points and here's what I got, Change it up to make it your own.

Subject: Request to Reconsider Proposed Drone Regulation

Dear [Recipient's Name],

I hope this letter finds you well. I am writing to express my concerns regarding the recently proposed drone regulation in New York City (NYC). As a concerned citizen and an advocate for responsible drone use, I believe it is crucial to address the potential negative impact of the current proposal. I would like to draw your attention to a few key points that merit reconsideration.

Firstly, I would like to clarify that the suggested rules would not encroach upon the Federal Aviation Administration's (FAA) exclusive authority to regulate the National Airspace System (NAS). These regulations primarily pertain to ground use and fall well within the jurisdiction of cities and states. Therefore, it is inaccurate and misleading to cite the FAA's authority as a reason to dismiss the proposal. Such statements undermine the credibility of the argument and hinder productive discourse.

Additionally, the notification requirements outlined in the proposed regulation are unduly burdensome and could essentially create a de facto "drone ban" akin to the existing interpretation of a law dating back to the 1940s. Rather than relying on outdated statutes, it would be prudent to revise the ordinance to establish a more balanced and practical framework. This can be achieved through an inclusive process that involves engagement with all stakeholders, including drone operators, hobbyists, businesses, and recreational users. By working collaboratively, a solution can be devised that addresses concerns while allowing for responsible drone usage.

I strongly urge the committee to shelve the current attempt at a rule change and initiate a fresh process, one that genuinely incorporates the perspectives and expertise of all stakeholders involved. It is evident upon reviewing the proposal that the committee did not consult with those who would be most affected by these regulations. Engaging with the drone community, industry representatives, and relevant organizations will not only enhance the legitimacy of the regulation but also ensure its effectiveness and feasibility.

Furthermore, it is important to note that Remote Identification (RID) will be mandatory starting on September 16, 2023. RID technology will provide much of the information that the proposed regulation seeks to obtain. Given the upcoming implementation of RID, it would be prudent to align the NYC regulation with this federal requirement. This will help avoid duplication of efforts and streamline the process for all stakeholders involved.

In conclusion, I kindly request that you consider the points raised in this letter and reevaluate the current proposed drone regulation in NYC. By fostering collaboration and engaging with the affected parties, a comprehensive and workable solution can be achieved. It is essential to strike a balance between public safety concerns and the need to support innovation and responsible drone use.

Thank you for your attention to this matter. I trust that you will give due consideration to my concerns and take the appropriate steps to ensure a fair and effective drone regulation in NYC. I remain available for any further discussion or clarification on this subject.

Yours sincerely,

Last edited:
I ran this through ChatGPT with your talking points and here's what I got, Change it up to make it your own.

Subject: Request to Reconsider Proposed Drone Regulation

Dear [Recipient's Name],

I hope this letter finds you well. I am writing to express my concerns regarding the recently proposed drone regulation in New York City (NYC). As a concerned citizen and an advocate for responsible drone use, I believe it is crucial to address the potential negative impact of the current proposal. I would like to draw your attention to a few key points that merit reconsideration.

Firstly, I would like to clarify that the suggested rules would not encroach upon the Federal Aviation Administration's (FAA) exclusive authority to regulate the National Airspace System (NAS). These regulations primarily pertain to ground use and fall well within the jurisdiction of cities and states. Therefore, it is inaccurate and misleading to cite the FAA's authority as a reason to dismiss the proposal. Such statements undermine the credibility of the argument and hinder productive discourse.

Additionally, the notification requirements outlined in the proposed regulation are unduly burdensome and could essentially create a de facto "drone ban" akin to the existing interpretation of a law dating back to the 1940s. Rather than relying on outdated statutes, it would be prudent to revise the ordinance to establish a more balanced and practical framework. This can be achieved through an inclusive process that involves engagement with all stakeholders, including drone operators, hobbyists, businesses, and recreational users. By working collaboratively, a solution can be devised that addresses concerns while allowing for responsible drone usage.

I strongly urge the committee to shelve the current attempt at a rule change and initiate a fresh process, one that genuinely incorporates the perspectives and expertise of all stakeholders involved. It is evident upon reviewing the proposal that the committee did not consult with those who would be most affected by these regulations. Engaging with the drone community, industry representatives, and relevant organizations will not only enhance the legitimacy of the regulation but also ensure its effectiveness and feasibility.

Furthermore, it is important to note that Remote Identification (RID) will be mandatory starting on September 16, 2023. RID technology will provide much of the information that the proposed regulation seeks to obtain. Given the upcoming implementation of RID, it would be prudent to align the NYC regulation with this federal requirement. This will help avoid duplication of efforts and streamline the process for all stakeholders involved.

In conclusion, I kindly request that you consider the points raised in this letter and reevaluate the current proposed drone regulation in NYC. By fostering collaboration and engaging with the affected parties, a comprehensive and workable solution can be achieved. It is essential to strike a balance between public safety concerns and the need to support innovation and responsible drone use.

Thank you for your attention to this matter. I trust that you will give due consideration to my concerns and take the appropriate steps to ensure a fair and effective drone regulation in NYC. I remain available for any further discussion or clarification on this subject.

Yours sincerely,
This is good, but I implore everyone to write their own.

Copy and paste is pointless.

Edited OT comment, sorry...

Vic, thanks for the heads up and for staying on top of these kinds of things on behalf of us all. I wrote down some notes from your OP and look forward to your article to glean more suggestions and ideas from your 'talking points'. Believe me, my comments will be much more succinct and to the point than chat GPT. Thanks again for everything you do.

Last edited:
Yeah, but can you do it in 12 seconds? I think not! Someone in this thread mentioned using AI to create a comment, I thought it was an interesting idea and was curious what it would come up with, so I posted. I wasn't trying to make you sad by hitting you with a taste of reality! You should be aware that humans and their intellect are soon to be obsolete and it's coming very fast, whether you like it or not. It's not something we have control over, the genie is out of the bottle and there's no way to stop it at this point! Keep in mind the technology used to create that ChatGPT letter is two years old, imagine where AI actually is today!

As far as the original post, I hate to break everyone's bubble, but the powers that be don't give care what you think, or how you phrase it! It's only how much power or money you have behind you! Unfortunately, as drone pilots we don't have much of either working for us, so be prepared to take whatever they dish out. I think Vic said there have only been 13 comments submitted so far, only goes to show how weak of a group we are!
Yeah. I can hardly wait till the politicians start pointing finge

Yeah. I can hardly wait till the politicians start pointing finge
Sorry. Hit that before I wanted to.
I can hardly wait till the politicians start pointing the finger as to which side is responsible for the machine take over. It’s gonna happen. Stop denying. Both sides will be screwed. Maybe that’ll finally wake us up. Just sayin.

I can not find in this post what the new rules are. Do they only apply to flying from public property? Can you still launch and land from private property in NYC?

Reactions: umanbean

As of today, there are only 13 comments, including one who is for the changes (it sounds like she hates drones, so there's that...). Mine will be approved within a day or so.

We need to comment on this, even if you don't ever plan on flying in NYC. If this passes, other cities may look at this as a great example of what they should do. And that would cripple the drone industry, both commercially and recreationally, just as it will in NYC if passed as written.

A few points:

First, these rules would not interfere with the FAA's sole authority to control the NAS. These are ground use rules, and cities and states are allowed to impose those. So please don't use that as an example of why NYC shouldn't do this. That's is incorrect, and your comments will lose credibility.

Make sure you let them know the notification requirements are onerous and would basically create the same "drone ban" they have now, except put it in actual ordinance instead of relying on an interpretation of a law from the 1940s.

Strongly suggest that the committee shelve this attempt at rule change, and instead start the process again, but this time work with all stakeholders in order to come up with a workable solution.

If NYC would do that, we can have a much larger voice. Because it's obvious to anyone who reads this proposal that the committee never bothered talking to those this would affect.

Also, mention that RID will be required on 9.16.23, and it will have much of what they want to know anyway.
So put together a reasonable and professional response, then go to their comment page (https://rules.cityofnewyork.us/.../applications-to.../), and comment.

Be professional.
Vic:

You need to write something that we can all paraphrase and send it in ASAP. Please also include the correct e-mail for us to send our letter to.

Dale G. Davis, M.D.
Miami

Reactions: jmaganaski
Vic:

You need to write something that we can all paraphrase and send it in ASAP. Please also include the correct e-mail for us to send our letter to.

Dale G. Davis, M.D.
Miami
The link that you need to provide your comment is in post number one.
Very simple system.

Vic:

Dale G. Davis, M.D.
Miami
Yes, the link in Vic's original post goes to a webpage where you can add your comments on the proposal. you can also read all the comments that have already been submitted. Reading them will give you a good idea of what to paraphrase.

Yes, the link in Vic's original post goes to a webpage where you can add your comments on the proposal. you can also read all the comments that have already been submitted. Reading them will give you a good idea of what to paraphrase.
I submitted this to the correct place
"
Attention: NYPD

I am an amateur drone enthusiast, and I enjoy flying my drone for photography, and as a hobby. I do not do commercial photography. I am simply a hobbyist. I follow all of the standardized rules for recreational flying, such as not flying over traffic, people, emergencies, over 400 feet, near airports of no fly zones. I have my FAA Trust certificate. The proposal of the New York Police Department would set an unacceptable rule by creating a procedure by which members of the public need to submit an application to launch or land a drone within New York City.

Many, more than adequate rules by the FAA already exist. This proposal would severely create an almost insurmountable barrier to recreational flying. We already have appropriate smart phone apps which allow us to safe permission to fly in zones at safe altitudes and gain LAANC approvals. This proposal would require an undue hardship on recreational drone flying. The proposal for notifications is an onerous hardship on this drone community. It would create the same ban as already exisits by the FAA.

I would suggest that the committee set aside these rule changes and re-start the process in order to include stakeholders, in order to achieve a workable solution for all.

It should also be noted that radio identification of all drones will soon be coming to us on September 16, 2023, and this proposal would merely be a duplication."

I received this electronic notification of receipt

Thank you for your submission! Your comment will be reviewed and you will receive a separate email when it is approved and posted on the "Applications to Launch or Land an Unmanned Aircraft, Including a “Drone”". Please see our Comment & Posting Policy for additional information.

My good deed for the day has been done.

Dale

Dale G. Davis,M.D.

A few points:

Be professional.
I wrote one of the policians that proposed the bill and I didn't get a response back. As usual this bill paves the way for large organizations to fly and small business and hobbyists to be restricted. NYC officials don't want drone flight in NYC and this proposal proves it. We need some digital collecrive voice that gets the word to these people. We are not enoughin number to concern them. There are far more people worried about their privacy than the few of us worrying about our rights. Some of the droneorganizations should set up one of those petition type websites to collect our rebuttals and serve them up to the powers that beon this proposal. If we aren't heard this ridiculous proposal may go through.

I wrote one of the policians that proposed the bill and I didn't get a response back. As usual this bill paves the way for large organizations to fly and small business and hobbyists to be restricted. NYC officials don't want drone flight in NYC and this proposal proves it. We need some digital collecrive voice that gets the word to these people. We are not enoughin number to concern them. There are far more people worried about their privacy than the few of us worrying about our rights. Some of the droneorganizations should set up one of those petition type websites to collect our rebuttals and serve them up to the powers that beon this proposal. If we aren't heard this ridiculous proposal may go through.
Vic:
I wrote my letter yesterday and got an acknowledgment this morning already. Of course I do not live in NYC but understand that this sets a precedent for the entire country.

Dale
Miami

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne