DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Oahu, Hawaii?

What doesn't make sense is... I've flown in the same spot at 2 am and had 0 issues. lol I've literally had 2 good flights out of like 20.... all other flights immediately had gps issues
That's really weird man. Where at in Kapolei is this anomaly? Metal shouldn't mess with GPS too much unless it's above you, you'd have more of a compass problem. How big of an area is it?

I'm in Ko Olina and I flew yesterday testing out the taco-rc filters, what a difference! Another mavic was out there too. I didn't see who was flying it though.

If you want to see if it's a common problem for your area with the GPS thing I can come try it out, otherwise we might find its your drone and it needs RMA. Better to find out now rather than out of warranty.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Gordon
That'd be great actually. I'm only about a mile from the new theaters. I live in kapolei lofts. I've tried the field right behind my house and then I've tried the kapolei park as well. The field behind my house is where I was able to fly at 2 am. Where in Ko'olina are you flying?

Across from the library? That park? Hmm I wonder why you'd lose GPS there, super weird.

Ko Olina I was just chilling on the grass between lagoon 1 and lagoon 2. Behind d the bushes and trees I was able to fly shoreline from lagoon 4 and paradise cove. I was super surprised I was able to fly with trees in the way. Things have advanced so much since the Phantom 2 piece of junk that's in my closet haha.

I want to do an 10-11am downward facing video of electric beach while the boats are there for snorkeling. And follow them to the northwest to spot whales and dolphin one day. Met a guy on the big island that got some super awesome footage of a whale resting on top of water with his phantom.

yep across from library lol. ive never had a good experience flying there. ive had one good experience in my area and thats at 2 am across from the park basically in the empty field.

Also guys drone services Hawaii has a bunch of mavic stuff in stock. Cheaper then ordering online and having it shipped lol they have batteries, props, the rc cables, car charger, battery 4 way charger as well all in stock.

Reactions: Gordon
Really?! I didn't think many people had much stuff. I could use a 4th battery, but I usually only fly 2 each time I go out. It's different when you can fly so much longer now! Thinking about cutting my pelican 1400 case for the mavic and stuff. Have to see if I can fit 4 batteries, but I'd rather get a dedicated tablet for flying, I want the go app off my phone asap, it runs at time even after closing it. Yesterday I felt my phone get hot in my pocket and dji go app used 20 percent of my battery in an hour. Hadn't opened the app in 2 days....

I actually ordered a case online that's super small and holds everything I have to include the 4 batteries lol

Really?! I didn't think many people had much stuff. I could use a 4th battery, but I usually only fly 2 each time I go out. It's different when you can fly so much longer now! Thinking about cutting my pelican 1400 case for the mavic and stuff. Have to see if I can fit 4 batteries, but I'd rather get a dedicated tablet for flying, I want the go app off my phone asap, it runs at time even after closing it. Yesterday I felt my phone get hot in my pocket and dji go app used 20 percent of my battery in an hour. Hadn't opened the app in 2 days....

I recently modified my B&W type 3000 case to fit all my Mavi stuff, including 4 batteries. I think this case is similar to pelican 1400, or maybe 1450: Show me your bag/case!

I was actually on Oahu about a week or two ago and saw someone flying their Mavic at Kapiolani park. I live in Texas now, but was born and raised in Honolulu (Kalihi to be more specific).

I bought the Pelican 1400. It's tight with 2 extra batteries.
f9e2c87efb3db3709f4aea74c2068db3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Hey... so I did a mini shoot at Waimea bay this morning and it looks like I'm getting a glare from the sun... is there like a filter I can use for that?

Not sure what the best filter is for what purposes, but I imagine you'd be better filming Waimea on sunset. I think the fam and I are gunna go do some outdoors stuff tomorrow, if so I'll try to get the bird in the air. Thinking something west side.

Did you find what filters would work best? Finally got time yesterday to fly! It was amazing and no crashes. Went through 3 batteries and I wish I had more. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Hey Ed! I just received my Mavic this past Friday! Yeah but haven't flown it due to the President on the island. While waiting for my Mavic, I went ahead and bought the P3S since it was half off! I wanted practice on it before the Mavic. Let's meet up one day with Acrolog2! I live in Hawaii Kai.
lucky you, still waiting, and waiting , and waiting. My pineapple is growing faster that the shipment.
Will be heading over to big island on the 16th, work but I will be with ol' P3 in hand. Work first then play, wahoo!!!

Found this bag in the closet and just about perfect fit for the mavic. Debating whether getting a divider for the remote. The case itself with the mavic and accesories inside fits in my hiking backpack too. Sweet.

Last edited:
Nice juroda. Get battery terminal covers if they are going to be exposed. Dirt in other stuff is a pain to get out. Or use tape.

Hi guys, not from hawaii but I try to get out there a couple times a year. I'll be out in february and was wondering how your mavics are doing in the wind? I haven't had any issues with my p3 previously but everyone says the mavic struggles more in the wind than the phantoms. Also what level ND's are you using? Is 32 enough on a sunny day or do you find that you need 64?

I use the 16 and 8 filters in the late afternoon. Hadn't put the 32 on yet. VOG is in full force right now and it's haziness sucks....
As far as wind, I haven't been having much trouble, it's stable, just alot slower flying into the wind lol

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair