DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Obstacle avoidance in sport mode

Franzinator

Reactions
On a recent trip to Sedona Arizona I flew behind a large rocky hill and my signal was cutoff. Video feed and control were fully cutoff. Drone kept recording video however and initiated RTH. Problem 1: rocky hill was in the way. Problem 2: I was in sport mode. Mavic eventually emerged from blackout and I regained control and video feed. Watching the recorded video revealed the Mavic sensed the hill and climbed 5 separate times on its own to clear it (narrowly avoiding it by inches at one moment). I doubled checked the flight log - I was indeed in sport mode. How did obstacle avoidance function? Thank god it did! Very impressed- Mavic literally took care of itself and found its way home-

From my limited understanding, the mavic goes in n out of sport mode based on certain criteria. Lost signal is one criteria that forces sport mode off even though the flight log doesn't reflect this. Flying very hide with great wind sometimes forces sport mode off.

From my limited understanding, the mavic goes in n out of sport mode based on certain criteria. Lost signal is one criteria that forces sport mode off even though the flight log doesn't reflect this. Flying very hide with great wind sometimes forces sport mode off.

Didn’t know that interesting -

Makes sense it would kick on sensors in RTH, fail-safe or otherwise. RTH has a fixed speed, which I'm sure is slower than sport mode speed. In fail-safe, you're completely out of control so mavic needs to keep safe from obstacles on its own.

Reactions: conchman
Makes sense it would kick on sensors in RTH, fail-safe or otherwise. RTH has a fixed speed, which I'm sure is slower than sport mode speed. In fail-safe, you're completely out of control so mavic needs to keep safe from obstacles on its own.

Certainly makes sense, I had just always read that it was disabled in sport mode period. Also, it was in sport mode as soon as it emerged from blackout. Regardless, happy it did-

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929