DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 - Waypoint Obstacle Course

photoinflight

Reactions
Has anyone tested how well Obstacle Avoidance works while using Waypoints?
I have been searching everywhere for information or test videos but I can’t find anything. The Obstacle Avoidance tests I find are always using Active Track, but what I want is to see how well the drone Avoids Obstacles and navigates during a Way Point flight.
For example, how well would it navigate through and avoid obstacles while flying through a tree covered bike trail with curves and hills?

Has anyone done tests similar to this?

Keep in mind that this all comes down to how fast your going , the sensors can only work as well as fast as the signals can be processed cy the chip., since there not super chips , they tend to fail very quickly at faster speeds. Best used for Cinematic Slow footage .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. land on the Water , and Cinematic Pod Controls.

Last edited:
Reactions: photoinflight
I have been searching everywhere for information or test videos but I can’t find anything. The Obstacle Avoidance tests I find are always using Active Track, but what I want is to see how well the drone Avoids Obstacles and navigates during a Way Point flight.
For example, how well would it navigate through and avoid obstacles while flying through a tree covered bike trail with curves and hills?

I've done many waypoint flights. I've run into obstacles many times, and it only does RTH. it never try's to go around an obstacle and continue the waypoint mission.

Keep in mind that this all comes down to how fast your going , the sensors can only work as well as fast as the signals can be processed cy the chip., since there not super chips , they tend to fail very quickly at faster speeds. Best used for Cinematic Slow footage .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. land on the Water , and Cinematic Pod Controls.
Yeah, I wouldn’t be having it fly fast at all. Most likely between 1-4 mph. I’m just wondering how obstacle avoidance would work during the flight and whether it would know to curve around turns and such

I've done many waypoint flights. I've run into obstacles many times, and it only does RTH. it never try's to go around an obstacle and continue the waypoint mission.
Can you elaborate? Are you saying it doesn’t even attempt going around an obstacle prior to having an accident?
Or that it will do “ok” at avoiding obstacles but once it runs into something it will RTH?

I experimented a little bit yesterday by having it fly from above the tree line into a power line clearing between the trees, and it seemed to do fine with knowing to curve into it at an angle. Not sure if that was the obstacle avoidance at work or just the drones natural instinct of going towards the next point.

Last edited:
Can you elaborate? Are you saying it doesn’t even attempt going around an obstacle prior to having an accident?
Or that it will do “ok” at avoiding obstacles but once it runs into something it will RTH?

I experimented a little bit yesterday by having it fly from above the tree line into a power line clearing between the trees, and it seemed to do fine with knowing to curve into it at an angle. Not sure if that was the obstacle avoidance at work or just the drones natural instinct of going towards the next point.
My missions are out of signal range, so I don't get any messages.
I don't think it matters at all how fast you are going. DJI just made the decision to make it that way. If I had a mission that was running into something, I would edit it anyway so it doesn't do that anymore. I had one mission aborted when a bird flew at me. But the obstacle avoidance works really well on most obstacles.

I don't think it matters at all how fast you are going. DJI just made the decision to make it that way. If I had a mission that was running into something, I would edit it anyway so it doesn't do that anymore. I had one mission aborted when a bird flew at me. But the obstacle avoidance works really well on most obstacles.
Interesting. I’ve never done missions out of signal range. I’m actually new to using the waypoint feature and am mainly interested in the possibility of using it for capturing slow, smooth scenery footage.

So then, would you say that the obstacle avoidance whilst using waypoints works well enough to fly through a tree covered trail with curves and hills? Or uphill over a moving body of water such as a creek/river? It would know to fly around the trees when the trails bend or fly upward as the elevation of the ground or stream rises?

I’ll be doing some tests myself, just trying to gather info until then.

Interesting. I’ve never done missions out of signal range. I’m actually new to using the waypoint feature and am mainly interested in the possibility of using it for capturing slow, smooth scenery footage.

So then, would you say that the obstacle avoidance whilst using waypoints works well enough to fly through a tree covered trail with curves and hills? Or uphill over a moving body of water such as a creek/river? It would know to fly around the trees when the trails bend or fly upward as the elevation of the ground or stream rises?

I’ll be doing some tests myself, just trying to gather info until then.
Again, it's not going to avoid anything, it will just do a RTH when it detects an object. GPS supposedly only has a 5 meter accuracy, even though I would say it's closer to five feet or less. Also the altitude seems to change up to 5 feet or more. So you have to be above all obstacles that are within 5 feet of your path. I've had waypoint missions that flew perfectly once, and the next time, ran into an obstacle and did a RTH.

Why is everyone obsessed with crashing their drones into trees? 😂 There are several YOUTUBE videos that will show you how to do this. Have you considered an AVATA ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000