DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Obtaining authorization in a controlled airspace

You will need to apply on the DJI Unlock Website for an authorization to fly. Use the FAA authorization (that you get from DroneZone) as the documentation that DJI requests.
Thanks. I'm running a "test case" to make sure I've got the process down for applying for authorization through FAADroneZone and then unlocking the geofencing.

I only have experience getting authorization to take off in Blue areas and everyone but me probably already knows this but..if you're looking for authorization on the app and you have an account with DJI, you can't be in airplane mode..you're thinking duh..I know I know ..:rolleyes: .... but also you have to attempt to START the drone with the levers or the Takeoff symbol..to have the authorization page come up on the screen. That part confused the heck out me because sometimes it would show up and other times it didn't even though the requirement notice was on screen...but once you hit the starter .. it pops up and it is very very simple. Just click three boxes and agree..in a few seconds you'll get the clearance and off you go. Don't continue into a restricted area however.

Not sure what you mean by scripts? python, bash?
You really don't need a script for an auth - you just submit the form. If there is a problem with your DroneZone submission, my experience has been that the FAA sent me email and we worked it out.
You also do not need the net if you run it by DJI then download the unlock to the app. Then you just send it over it over to the drone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Carb63
Hi Vic,
I recently saw the episode on DU where you explain how to get an authorization to fly in control air space. Is there a site that provides some sort of script to be able to get a six month authorization in certain control their spaces? I have been doing jobs for Dronebase that at this time did not require permissions, I live in New York city, and want to be able to have the authorization in place when the next job comes through and requires it. I also do jobs in Florida and New Jersey . Thank you in advance for your help and that episode was very informative. Love drone U

In all of my 107.41 Authorizations I just ask for the max. My newest ones are good until 12.31.21. Just use the drop down menu and ask for the max.

Makes me regret buying DJI now. I can get authorizations to fly since I know everyone and can talk to towers. But my airframe shuts me down. Their has to be a fix
Thought the FAA didn’t want drone pilots going through the ‘tower’ for permissions anymore?!? Has this been changed recently? I know some of the folks who work tower here as well, and they’ve informed me that gaining permission to fly drone via tower is not accepted anymore. When was it changed? I would like to cite the reversal if you could supply please. Thanks in advance.

I'm glad you brought that up
Thought the FAA didn’t want drone pilots going through the ‘tower’ for permissions anymore?!? Has this been changed recently? I know some of the folks who work tower here as well, and they’ve informed me that gaining permission to fly drone via tower is not accepted anymore. When was it changed? I would like to cite the reversal if you could supply please. Thanks in advance.
Here's what the FAR/AIM says. "Prior authorization from ATC"

Attachments

• 20200926_062815.jpg
    20200926_062815.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
Doesn't say anything about the FAA. I called the guys and said hey, I'm at the house flying below 200.. Roger CPT Warfield, no worries

I'm glad you brought that up

Here's what the FAR/AIM says. "Prior authorization from ATC"
Yes prior authorization from ATC, however it does not specify how. Current official FAA proper procedures are through LAANC (where available) and DroneZone.

Doesn't say anything about the FAA. I called the guys and said hey, I'm at the house flying below 200.. Roger CPT Warfield, no worries
Which is not the proper nor legal way to do it.

If something were to happen, the FAA would hold both you and the controllers responsible for not following proper procedures.

This is why I purchased an Evo2 P 6k. I will always love my mavic pro. That’s my baby , I learned from flying DJI mavic however , I can not justify a company from China grounding me on my home turf. I also learned from all my fellow pilots here on the forum on how to do things the right way( not that I was gonna do things wrong ) but to follow procedures, to be safe and to have the people and communities safe. Authorizations will always be requested on my part so I can fly with restrictions if that’s how it has to be , but to fly. I love this hobby which has turned into a profit business for me as I acquire new jobs. But I will never let a company dictate my paycheck or my fun for doing so. I love you DJI for putting out a outstanding product but enough is enough.

He's talking about statements that people have written and got approved already and copy them
Yes. A general format is what I meant. It’s my first time requesting authorizations. Since I live in NYC & FL Orlando area bravo airspace is all around me I just want to be compliant. Complaint for an extended period of time, as I am getting work closer and closer to class B.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3