DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Occusync communication

Alan H

Reactions
I’m curious - can I stand on one side of my house and communicate with the drone if it is on the other side of the house? I am a little nervous to try and land it without being in sight of the drone. Has anybody had experience with flying at low altitudes without being in a direct line of sight of the drone?

I’m curious - can I stand on one side of my house and communicate with the drone if it is on the other side of the house? I am a little nervous to try and land it without being in sight of the drone. Has anybody had experience with flying at low altitudes without being in a direct line of sight of the drone?

One of the things you can do to test the signal between two places is to Remote Start. Just place your drone on the ground and Turn the battery on. Than go back and attempt to start the motors and hover the drone up.

If you cannot do that than your likely to to loose connection to the drone when flying low.

If you can Remote Start you are likely to be ok and the Drone will find signal.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain :cool:

Keep in mind that radio signals are line of sight. Although you can get building penetration to some degree.

To see if you get a signal, put the drone in the backyard and walk around to the front and check your signal.

Keep in mind that radio signals are line of sight. Although you can get building penetration to some degree.

To see if you get a signal, put the drone in the backyard and walk around to the front and check your signal.
Thats not necessarily true about radio signals being only line of sight, Im an amateur radio operator and have sent my radio signal all over the world with very little power

Thats not necessarily true about radio signals being only line of sight, Im an amateur radio operator and have sent my radio signal all over the world with very little power
I doubt very seriously the bands used in DJI equipment will allow a "Skip". And that is what we are discussing here honestly. :p

Skip (or DX) is a name we use to describe atmospheric conditions that allow for radio transmissions to travel long distances. These conditions can bounce signals from state to state or even from country to country.

Well all advise is given above. SO let's look at what scenarios would happen.

1. It will work fine
2. It will lose communication and if within 60 Ft of of take off RTH location it will land in place.
3. It will lose communication and if over 60Ft from take off RTH location..it will rise to your set altitude and RTH.

So what are you nervous about again? :p
Edit: the above is if you have your RTH set to RTH, but you could change all that with a RTH=Hover in place;)

Reactions: GadgetGuy
The radio horizon is a bit further than the line of sight visual horizon, but the signal will eventually get blocked and you’ll need repeaters along the way to reach long distances.

You’re also broadcasting in the MHz band which goes much farther than GHz signals.

I was selling cellular switching systems In Canada and Alaska in their infancy and the 450/800 MHz systems on tall towers could blast a signal it seemed forever.

Could you achieve comms “all over the world” with 2.4 or 5.8 GHz without employing satellites as repeaters? In the context of the discussion here the “line of sight” analogy is applicable.

Reactions: dawgpilot
I’ve have done this at my house. I took off in my front yard, flew over the house, faced the drone so that it was looking through my patio door, and flew back and landed. I live in a two story, there literally no problems, other than my own reluctance to try it.

It was one of my first experiments with the MA2.

Reactions: cochitiman
I doubt very seriously the bands used in DJI equipment will allow a "Skip". And that is what we are discussing here honestly. :p

Skip (or DX) is a name we use to describe atmospheric conditions that allow for radio transmissions to travel long distances. These conditions can bounce signals from state to state or even from country to country.
True, but I talk to people within 100 miles on 2.5 watts and on a few feet of #16 copper wire everyday..My point is the same, radio signals are not limited to only line of sight..Do you what the specs are of the transmitter in the RC?

Probably will work, just make sure you put RTH in "Hover" mode. MA2 Occusync has pretty good penetration range. I have taken off in front of the house and guided the MA2 down the gravel road through woods and around a small ridge and down to the gate before the signal fades in and out. It's probably a 1000 feet straight line with nothing but trees and 200 feet of dirt for the signal go through and around.

True, but I talk to people within 100 miles on 2.5 watts and on a few feet of #16 copper wire everyday..My point is the same, radio signals are not limited to only line of sight..Do you what the specs are of the transmitter in the RC?
It might be you don’t understand what is ordinarily meant by “line of sight” in discussions concerning RF propagation. It simply means there is a direct path between TX and RX.

Could you achieve comms “all over the world” with 2.4 or 5.8 GHz without employing satellites as repeaters? In the context of the discussion here the “line of sight” analogy is applicable.
At 2.4 ghz you can send about 450 mbps up to 600' without line of sight with an omni directional antenna...I have some Ubiquiti antennas that will transfer 450 mbps @ 2.4 ghz PTP up to 16 miles.. I use them at about 10 miles and have seen 600 mbps..those antennas are about the size of 2 packs of cigarettes

Despite the esoteric (and irrelevant) discussion about amateur radio stuff, what you are asking about isn't a good idea.
Your house might or might not block signal, depending on what it's made of and how large it is.
It's a good assumption that if there's an obstacle like a building, mountain or forest, between you and the drone, that signal will be blocked.

Just observe the signal strength icon on the top right of the screen, 4 white bars is good, if they turn red and drop too low you will also get a warning message for weak signal strength and to adjust your antenna.

Not mentioned in previous posts, but reflected signals can play a role for sure. While the high frequencies used tend to have low penetration, so don't get through solid objects well, they will reflect of surfaces. This can allow communications when line of sight is not maintained, especially at short range where signal strength is relatively strong.

Reactions: lee82gx
Only if they're low band AM signals, not at the frequencies these operate at. There will be some penitration through wood/vinyl walls, but metal or dirt will pretty much totally block the signal.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Frequency and signal strength drive this discussion. At the frequencies and permitted signal strengths, DJI specs maxes of 12 km. As a marketing tool this is likely to be the max in ideal conditions that they have fairly extensively tested.

path interference and signal interference will reduce this a lot, in unpredictable ways. This is a pure physics problem that is well understood And documented.

Probably will work, just make sure you put RTH in "Hover" mode. MA2 Occusync has pretty good penetration range. I have taken off in front of the house and guided the MA2 down the gravel road through woods and around a small ridge and down to the gate before the signal fades in and out. It's probably a 1000 feet straight line with nothing but trees and 200 feet of dirt for the signal go through and around.
Does M2P has Hover mode for RTH
TQ

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair