DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ocean City, Maryland

toonz

Reactions
Hey guys,

I'm traveling there with my family this summer and I would like to bring my MM. So far what I've read online, says while drones are not banned in OC, since it's close to the airports they don't suggest it. Has anyone flown down there, because it seems like on YouTube there's a ton of people who have.
Sorry if this is posted in the wrong thread/forum

-Toonz

Reactions: toonz
It was my belief you could not fly in OC (but I don't know this for certain). There is a smaller (but very active) airport on the southern side of OC (as indicated on the map above). Additionally, OC had planes that pull advertising banners along the beach..then circle back over the bay on the return flight. There is a lot of air traffic all along OC. If you are able to fly, I think you'd be better off up towards the north at the DE line (or even up by Bethany or Dewey) because of the air traffic along OC. I wouldn't want to risk flying there, even if allowed.

I've been looking into what it takes to get a part 107 license, and one requirement is being able to read the FAA sectional charts. Here's Ocean City, and it shows that the OC airport, OXB, is Class E airspace, which begins at 700 feet AGL. You're limited to 400 feet anyway, so you should be okay.
OCsectionalChart.jpg

The closest I have flown to OC is Ocean Pines where my in laws have a vacation home. It's about 5 miles from the boardwalk. The last time I checked the sectional chart you should be ok. The only issue you may run into is the "flying over people" rule. That place gets super crowded in the summer, so finding a place away from people may be difficult. Good luck and enjoy your visit to OC.
Hey guys,

I'm traveling there with my family this summer and I would like to bring my MM. So far what I've read online, says while drones are not banned in OC, since it's close to the airports they don't suggest it. Has anyone flown down there, because it seems like on YouTube there's a ton of people who have.

-Toonz

Reactions: toonz
Hey guys,

-Toonz
One other thing to remember is to stay clear of the Assateague Island National Seashore to the South of OC.

Old thread, but i've heard recently there may not be any issues if you do it early or late in day when few people on the beach (even at 20th street, seems a bit too crowded even in the am?) , though personally im thinking of going to 100th street or higher to be sure? Dont need much altitude to get good shots either. (my case its a mavic pro)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000