DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Odd restriction zones UK

rod goslin

Reactions
Opening my DJI Go 4 app, recently, I noticed that in North Wales, I'm just outside a huge restricted (amber) zone. This zone is so large that if it were placed over North Wales, generally, it would stretch from the England/Wales border to the West Wales coast. Does anyone know the reason for such a large zone, very little short of 100 miles in diameter? Guesses where the centre of such an area is a bit difficult, but would seem to be close to the Para tilstockprohibited area. But that is only a mile or so in diameter. Added to that I note a rather odd absence of any restriction whatever over Hawarden Aerodrome, from which the Airbus Beluga transport aircraft often flies. Watching it fly over my house makes me wonder how anything manmade can apparently fly so slowly. I did note that my old employer, British Nuclear Fuels has a restriction zone of it's own over the Capenhurst factory.
Looking at the web site of Noflyzones.co.uk, from where the Para Tilstock info came, there, they do have the usual multi zone area over Hawarden Airfield, but nothing of the enormous amber area as delineated in the Go 4 app

Puzzled of North Wales

The RAF use north wales for training, mainly low level exercises. For example check youtube for the "mach loop"

Reactions: IgorD2
The RAF do use North Wales for flying, but not around this area, which extends only slightly West of Mold. They prefer frightening the sheep further West. A former neighbour moved here to get away from the sound of jets around the Snowdonia area. We do occasionally get the Spitfire flying over, though.

Opening my DJI Go 4 app, recently, I noticed that in North Wales, I'm just outside a huge restricted (amber) zone. This zone is so large that if it were placed over North Wales, generally, it would stretch from the England/Wales border to the West Wales coast. Does anyone know the reason for such a large zone, very little short of 100 miles in diameter? Guesses where the centre of such an area is a bit difficult, but would seem to be close to the Para tilstockprohibited area. But that is only a mile or so in diameter. Added to that I note a rather odd absence of any restriction whatever over Hawarden Aerodrome, from which the Airbus Beluga transport aircraft often flies. Watching it fly over my house makes me wonder how anything manmade can apparently fly so slowly. I did note that my old employer, British Nuclear Fuels has a restriction zone of it's own over the Capenhurst factory.
Looking at the web site of Noflyzones.co.uk, from where the Para Tilstock info came, there, they do have the usual multi zone area over Hawarden Airfield, but nothing of the enormous amber area as delineated in the Go 4 app

Puzzled of North Wales
yes it is the Mach loop. RAF low flying, Google it.

I checked, as you suggested in Googe. There was this comment:-

"The Mach Loop is a set of valleys, situated between Dolgellau in the north, and Machynlleth in the ..."

The area I was querying is mostly in England with only a Westerly extension into NORTH EASTERN Wales. many, many miles North of the Northernmost extremity of the Mach loop. We do, occasionally, get overflown by low flying jets, maybe once or twice a year. Think again.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman