DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Odd warning on setting max height

Just yesterday, I got the "aircraft nearby" warning message long before I ever heard or saw the aircraft. While flying FPV, I'm just aware and didn't have to do anything until the alert starts beeping and then I pause....and I could barely see the helicopter coming in my direction but not even directly towards me. When it's on and working, at least in my AO it really works well. Sometimes too well because the small airport few miles away when someone is practicing, I can expect to see aircraft nearby for my entire outing.
Same here. I was impressed. And for me it was very small and low. And then it was gone and it came back again and the warning came first both times.

Reactions: mavic3usa
Just yesterday, I got the "aircraft nearby" warning message long before I ever heard or saw the aircraft. While flying FPV, I'm just aware and didn't have to do anything until the alert starts beeping and then I pause....and I could barely see the helicopter coming in my direction but not even directly towards me. When it's on and working, at least in my AO it really works well. Sometimes too well because the small airport few miles away when someone is practicing, I can expect to see aircraft nearby for my entire outing.
Indeed. When it detects something, it really is there. However, when it doesn't detect anything, it doesn't mean no aircraft are in the area. It can't be relied upon in that respect to prevent midair collisions with low flying aircraft that are not broadcasting ADS-B. Personally, I'd rather use my eyes and ears, and keep it turned off, as the warnings are far too invasive and for aircraft that are too far away, or way higher than I am flying. Fly as low as you can, which is where the best views are anyway, and it becomes irrelevant. IMHO, it's more of a marketing gimmick than a useful feature. No drones are broadcasting ADS-B. It's of no use in avoiding other drones, and that is the biggest risk when flying in popular areas.

Indeed. When it detects something, it really is there. However, when it doesn't detect anything, it doesn't mean no aircraft are in the area. It can't be relied upon in that respect to prevent midair collisions with low flying aircraft that are not broadcasting ADS-B. Personally, I'd rather use my eyes and ears, and keep it turned off, as the warnings are far too invasive and for aircraft that are too far away, or way higher than I am flying. Fly as low as you can, which is where the best views are anyway, and it becomes irrelevant. IMHO, it's more of a marketing gimmick than a useful feature. No drones are broadcasting ADS-B. It's of no use in avoiding other drones, and that is the biggest risk when flying in popular areas.
I think we all know that.

Do I rely on blind spot monitor on my car and turn without looking?

I have to be extra careful because there are lots of hobby aircraft around where I fly in the summer. Ultralights etc.

I wanted to set max height to exactly 400ft.

1) I find it odd that I can’t. I hate when a slider is the only option with a large value range. It’s impossible to set it to 400ft.

2) That said, I had to settle for 393ft. But it kept warming me I was setting it over the 400ft limit.

Am I missing something or are these bugs?
Change the setting under Control tab from imperial to metric and you will be able to set the max altitude to exactly 120m.

Reactions: mswlogo
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne