DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Odd warning on setting max height

mswlogo

Reactions
I wanted to set max height to exactly 400ft.

1) I find it odd that I can’t. I hate when a slider is the only option with a large value range. It’s impossible to set it to 400ft.

2) That said, I had to settle for 393ft. But it kept warming me I was setting it over the 400ft limit.

Am I missing something or are these bugs?

The APPALLING-slider-horlicks increments in 5m steps, I think. It's a beep beep, the 'type numbers' thing of the previous apps was far better.
Can't comment on the warning, sorry.

Last edited:
Reactions: mswlogo
@mswlogo are you really worried about the difference 7ft would make, to the images at that sort of height ,thats well within the range of what the barometric pressure sensor is capable of ,in regards to its accuracy

The APPALLING-slider-horlicks increments in 5m steps, I think. It's a beep beep, the 'type numbers' thing of the previous apps was far better.
Can't comment on the warning, sorry.
That explains the increment. Thanks.

But the reason I ask about the warning is I was wondering if I’m violating something I don’t understand when it still warns below 400ft. Sea level vs relative or something.

On the FPV, there isn't even a slider, there are hardcoded presets and none of them are even numbers (in feet). It isnt off by much so it's really no problem.

@mswlogo are you really worried about the difference 7ft would make, to the images at that sort of height ,thats well within the range of what the barometric pressure sensor is capable of ,in regards to its accuracy
I’m worried I’m violating the law. Or the software is broken. Or I’m missing something.

And even setting it to 393 is ridiculously fussy. I’m sensitive to poor UI design because that’s what I do for a living.

So only 3 bugs in this one control.

You should be able to just enter a number.
Step size is metric even when set to imperial.
The warning is bogus. I think.

Reactions: MS Coast
I was wondering if I’m violating something I don’t understand
I doubt you are. I will boot the Mavic mini and see what it does. The other do-not-enter limits applied, which may be caused by manned-aircraft flight zones ("geo zones"? ), are 'hard' boundaries, I think, and unbreachable.
Sea level vs relative or something
AMSL only comes into play when the take off point is so high that the thinness of the air becomes a problem and that generates different warnings.
All heights used by the drone are relative to the take off point .... unless the drone is low enough for the VPS to register something under the drone and limits descent speeds but even then the drone's height is still shown in the App in terms of ralative to the take off point.
393ft corresponds to 120m, 400ft is actually 121.92m and when the limit is set in metres by the law makers they tend to cite 120m rather than 122m.

Last edited:
I’m worried I’m violating the law. Or the software is broken. Or I’m missing something.

And even setting it to 393 is ridiculously fussy. I’m sensitive to poor UI design because that’s what I do for a living.

So only 3 bugs in this one control.

You should be able to just enter a number.
Step size is metric even when set to imperial.
The warning is bogus. I think.
I too get the warning when attempting to set 120m, for me the warning mentions 400ft/120m.

I doubt you are. I will but the Mavic mini and see what it does. The other do-not-enter limits applied, which may be caused by manned-aircraft flight zones ("geo zones"? ), are 'hard' boundaries, I think, and unbreachable.

AMSL only comes into play when teh take off point is so high that the thiness of the air becomes a problem and that generates different warnings. All height used by the drone are relative to the take off point.
393ft corresponds to 120m, 400ft is actually 121.92m and when the limit is set in metres by the law makers they tend to cite 120m rather than 122m.
I didn’t think I was violating anything but wanted to ask the nice folks on Mavic pilots what’s going on.

I get the 5m increments.

This make sense, but at least while flying I usually see the height warning kick in well before 396ft (120m). Maybe like 385?
The warning for setting it vs warming for tripping it are probably two different things.

I have not flow it enough to notice the issue you mention but it could be a bounce in the reading. That it momentarily exceeded it but returned to stable reading.

Also is it a warning that you are approaching the limit or exceeding it? You’d want the warning before you break the law, not after ;)

The warning for setting it vs warming for tripping it are probably two different things.

I have not flow it enough to notice the issue you mention but it could be a bounce in the reading. That it momentarily exceeded it but returned to stable reading.

Also is it a warning that you are approaching the limit or exceeding it? You’d want the warning before you break the law, not after ;)
Usually the warning says I've exceeded max height, IIRC.

Also remember that there are scenarios where flying over 400ft *above the home point* is perfectly legal, even for non-107 pilots.

Reactions: mswlogo
But you stated, "I’m worried I’m violating the law."

I thought I wasn’t doing anything wrong and wanted to double check that I’m not misunderstanding (being stupid on) something.

Sorry for asking.

I thought I wasn’t doing anything wrong and wanted to double check that I’m not misunderstanding (being stupid on) something.

Sorry for asking.
DJI is terrible about this kinda stuff and unfortunately you can never assume that there is much overlap in the Venn diagram of "stuff that DJI warns/restricts you on" and "stuff that is legal or not." You just have to learn where you can simply disregard DJI's warnings (stuff like this) or trust them at your own peril (lots of altitude zones). In either case, if you are certain that what you're doing is legal, in the absence of any input from DJI, that is the most important thing.

DJI is terrible about this kinda stuff and unfortunately you can never assume that there is much overlap in the Venn diagram of "stuff that DJI warns/restricts you on" and "stuff that is legal or not." You just have to learn where you can simply disregard DJI's warnings (stuff like this) or trust them at your own peril (lots of altitude zones). In either case, if you are certain that what you're doing is legal, in the absence of any input from DJI, that is the most important thing.
Thanks. Now that is the type of info I’m looking for :)

It did do a great job warning me of a nearby aircraft.

Thanks. Now that is the type of info I’m looking for :)

It did do a great job warning me of a nearby aircraft.
Do not rely upon the app warning to detect all nearby aircraft. It can only detect aircraft capable of and choosing to broadcast ADS-B, which you will usually hear see and hear long before you get the warning. Police helicopters, military aircraft, and many private aircraft may not broadcasting ADS-B, nor are many gliders, paramotors, and balloons. It is like RID broadcasting, where noncompliance will largely defeat its effectiveness.

Do not rely upon the app warning to detect all nearby aircraft. It can only detect aircraft capable of and choosing to broadcast ADS-B, which you will usually hear see and hear long before you get the warning. Police helicopters, military aircraft, and many private aircraft may not broadcasting ADS-B, nor are many gliders, paramotors, and balloons. It is like RID broadcasting, where noncompliance will largely defeat its effectiveness.
Just yesterday, I got the "aircraft nearby" warning message long before I ever heard or saw the aircraft. While flying FPV, I'm just aware and didn't have to do anything until the alert starts beeping and then I pause....and I could barely see the helicopter coming in my direction but not even directly towards me. When it's on and working, at least in my AO it really works well. Sometimes too well because the small airport few miles away when someone is practicing, I can expect to see aircraft nearby for my entire outing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas