DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Odds of crashing for a newbie

i wonder if the prop/screw thing was just part of the attempt to save grams to keep it underweight, it just hit me as odd that they would forgoe a reliable connection for one that’s potentially sketchy, I mean anything that vibrates will make a screw back out eventually and it looks like experienced flyers are talking about locktight just to fix that…. Anyway it reminds me to ask another question, is there a schedule to be on to replace props? I set your suppose to visually inspect before flight but I am curious if they have age or flight hours

btw… I learned about the screw thing by reading through forums… not one review I watched or read mentioned it….that also seemed a little odd, perhaps I’m just seeing it as a bigger deal than it is… I know not everyone is losing props but after several changes I can see how it could happen more and more if people don’t take the user advice to use locktight

Reactions: Sparc343
i wonder if the prop/screw thing was just part of the attempt to save grams to keep it underweight, it just hit me as odd that they would forgoe a reliable connection for one that’s potentially sketchy, I mean anything that vibrates will make a screw back out eventually and it looks like experienced flyers are talking about locktight just to fix that…. Anyway it reminds me to ask another question, is there a schedule to be on to replace props? I set your suppose to visually inspect before flight but I am curious if they have age or flight hours

btw… I learned about the screw thing by reading through forums… not one review I watched or read mentioned it….that also seemed a little odd, perhaps I’m just seeing it as a bigger deal than it is… I know not everyone is losing props but after several changes I can see how it could happen more and more if people don’t take the user advice to use locktight

From what I know and or have heard, the guy at the DJI store told me there's already an application of locktight on the new screws that come with all new props... He did say NOT to add any additional to it!

I didn't know any better since, at least initially the a2s wasn't even among my considerations... I figured I'd use the little screwdriver (provided in the fly more bundle) to check them for assured "snugness" at *least* once per week (if not every or every other flight). I even actually checked them for snugness right out of the box too. As one of the first things I thought about once seeing it unboxed was "boy, I'm screwed if one of those is or becomes loose"!

I too was wondering about propeller replacement intervals... I'd figure it "obvious" to replace them if they've had ANY collision based "contact" with *anything* EVEN if they don't "look" damaged! I also figure, since there does not seem to be any 'schedule' to replace them by (even if nothing ever 'happens') that I would likely just replace mine (preemptively) anywhere between once per quarter and once per year... I think initially I'll try once per year... Even though they're cheap ($12 for a full set for the m2), I don't think replacing them "needlessly" or preemptively 4 times a year would really be necessary!

So yeah, if I had to take an honest "guess", I'd say annual/yearly (preemptive) replacement "no matter what"...

Reactions: Artemis
Thanks… just discovered another question, I downloaded the manual and also downloaded a drone practice app

so I noticed in the practice app there are 4 modes you can set that configure what the stick movements do, in the manual it say you can choose from 3 modes but also says it’s customizable in the fly app…. Sooooo just playing around with the simulator , mode 4 right is forward reverse and rotate left,right…. I immediately found that more intuitive than the default mode 2

anyone else? I imagine you better stick with what you learn so just needed to hear peoples thoughts in case there is a good reason to get muscle memory in the other modes

also please confirm for me you can customize this in the fly app

I think I’m finding it more intuitive from operating jet flight simulators for years, obviously you have to let off of the forward speed to change direction this way but it’s so quick it should still be a smooth transition…. At least it appears to be in this simulator I downloaded

I am pretty well versed with having to "adapt" to the "tune" of others, I am a "southpaw"! I assumed off the bat that I wouldn't be able to change the controls at all and just started flying the way it was set up by default. Being a southpaw AND a "gamer" it was counter intuitive to me at first, but I have since gotten the hang of it!

If you haven't already, you can DL the DJI fly app and go into it right away, I think. Possibly including looking at the control settings, which of course I have discovered are "customize-able"!! At this point, a few weeks in already, I am personally just going to stick with the default; since I've pretty much already learned it (that way)! If anything, for me, I would think basically reversing the left and right sticks would make the most sense (but yeah I'm just going to leave it)... If anything that will be better for if and when I am flying someone else's machine that's also "default"!

But anyway, I'm not 100% sure if you can "access" this before performing a drone "activation" or not, but I presume you'll be able to. First, download the DJI Fly app! Then once you start/open it navigate to => Connection Guide (bottom R corner) => Camera View (upper R corner) => "..." (upper R corner) => Control (tab). Then you'll see the stick mode and button customization's after scrolling a bit...

If for some reason you do have to activate a machine (drone) first, then at least you know it's there waiting for you!

I wouldn't see any reason not to set it up exactly how you want it though... Especially if you never anticipate having to fly somebody else's (that also may not take very kindly to you changing their settings [even if only temporarily])... Or maybe if you plan to let others fly yours, but even that's not a good reason NOT to set it up exactly the way you want it. You would just have to remember to either change it or warn them before they took flight...

Me, I'm just used to having to "adapt", since I am a southpaw! That and some of the things you really can't change (or it would not be practical to change)... Like the shifter/clutch on a car/motorcycle... For the most part you don't have a choice, in a car you shift with your hand, clutch with your foot; on a motorcycle you shift with your foot and clutch with your hand!

Thanks, I am now practicing in mode 2…. it became apparent in the simulation that when I started doing some obstacle courses there is an advantage to maintaining forward speed while you turn, ill Get the hang of it, having a little trouble with orientation once it gets small in the sky but I guess it helps when you have the camera view too

One thing I can add towards all this (controls) is; one of the best things to know is that if you "stop" telling it to do anything (like movement) (ie take fingers off sticks), it will (do it's best to just) hover in place. I think that's one of the best things to bear in mind as a new pilot. Say you're approaching an obstacle and are not properly oriented (disoriented), rather than giving it an impulsive command that may still lead into a collision, you can "abort", and let it "stop" and "hover in place"! Gather your bearings, correct, then give it another go!

Another "good one" is ascend and descend... Say you're performing (or trying to perform) a quickshots shot, and you notice it's about to fly into something (despite your a2s having collision sensors)... If you're doing just about anything "automated" and you see "danger" ahead; you can just press/hold either ascend/descend (whichever is more appropriate for the situation) and not only will it "cancel" the automated action; it will start doing what you told it to do (thereby hopefully avoiding the collision that was about to take place)!

I had a similar scenario, and not even during an automated task like quickshots, at least the first time it happened to me. I was flying and I noticed a power line that I needed to adjust for to avoid colliding with it; so I just descended a little to avoid it until it was beyond it! Then, just the other day when I was showing it to my neighbor (and first time using quickshots), we were trying to do a CIRCLE quickshots with the subject being his K9. Well, the dog started walking so the drone started trying to follow it to perform and finish the quickshot... I noticed it was about to CRASH into my car; so instinctively I whacked the ASCEND stick and it did two things; cancelled the automated quickshot it was attempting to perform, and immediately began ascending (since that's what I told it to do)...!

So #1) Hover In Place (take fingers off stick(s)/cancel automated task on screen [or put fingers on stick(s)])
#2) Ascend or Descend to avoid collision (automated or manual tasks)

As slightly already discussed, with or without "obstacle avoidance sensors" I believe those two things will be "life savers"!

Last edited:
One thing I can add towards all this (controls) is; one of the best things to know is that if you "stop" telling it to do anything (like movement) (ie take fingers off sticks), it will (do it's best to just) hover in place. I think that's one of the best things to bear in mind as a new pilot. Say you're approaching an obstacle and are not properly oriented (disoriented), rather than giving it an impulsive command that may still lead into a collision, you can "abort", and let it "stop" and "hover in place"! Gather your bearings, correct, then give it another go!

Another "good one" is ascend and descend... Say you're performing (or trying to perform) a quickshots shot, and you notice it's about to fly into something (despite your a2s having collision sensors)... If you're doing just about anything "automated" and you see "danger" ahead; you can just press/hold either ascend/descend (whichever is more appropriate for the situation) and not only will it "cancel" the automated action; it will start doing what you told it to do (thereby hopefully avoiding the collision that was about to take place)!

I had a similar scenario, and not even during an automated task like quickshots, at least the first time it happened to me. I was flying and I noticed a power line that I needed to adjust for to avoid colliding with it; so I just descended a little to avoid it until it was beyond it! Then, just the other day when I was showing it to my neighbor (and first time using quickshots), we were trying to do a CIRCLE quickshots with the subject being his K9. Well, the dog started walking so the drone started trying to follow it to perform and finish the quickshot... I noticed it was about to CRASH into my car; so instinctively I whacked the ASCEND stick and it did two things; cancelled the automated quickshot it was attempting to perform, and immediately began ascending (since that's what I told it to do)...!

So #1) Hover In Place (take fingers off stick(s)/cancel automated task on screen)
#2) Ascend or Descend to avoid collision (automated or manual tasks)

As slightly already discussed, with or without "obstacle avoidance sensors" I believe those two things will be "life savers"!
Just to be clear, to cancel an automated task you don’t have to hit the pause, you can just push up or down on the left toggle…. But you can just press pause and it will hover

Just to be clear, to cancel an automated task you don’t have to hit the pause, you can just push up or down on the left toggle…. But you can just press pause and it will hover

Correct, sorry if I didn't put that clear enough :)

Basically if you're doing something manually, when you just stop it will hover... Or if you're doing something "automated" you can either cancel on screen or manipulate a stick for it to cancel the automated activity and immediately begin the "new task" of the stick/control..!

Btw the app for iOS I have been practicing on is called ar sim pro lite, it’s free… pretty basic but I think the controls are responding accurately, I’m going to try to play everyday for the next couple of weeks to try and bake in some skill, I don’t want to get out there and be completely green

Btw the app for iOS I have been practicing on is called ar sim pro lite, it’s free… pretty basic but I think the controls are responding accurately, I’m going to try to play everyday for the next couple of weeks to try and bake in some skill, I don’t want to get out there and be completely green

I'll have to see if it's available on Android too! I would definitely like to check it out (and also be able to refer new or upcoming pilots to try it)..!

The Tello is a great learning drone, will set you off on the DJI journey in a inexpensive way. The Air2s is a great choice after that, or even the M3 if one is seriously interested in film/photo.

This is my stationary drones I use to fly around the moon and Jupiter mostly, I’ll probably try one of those automated fly around of them sometime, probably my favorite possession

Attachments

• EEC0C4B0-EFCA-479B-8A76-9286DA4FE9F4.jpeg
    EEC0C4B0-EFCA-479B-8A76-9286DA4FE9F4.jpeg
    191.8 KB · Views: 11
I should note, if I destroy it I’m probably done, that was a reason why I was thinking mini might be better but I’m not even sure I would be willing to spend 500 again…. But can see my self flying a lot if I can enjoy it without issues…. I feel I’m capable of religiously following the checklist that seem to prevent most accidents I read about.
You'll probably crash under 100 ft. So stay 120-250.

This is my stationary drones I use to fly around the moon and Jupiter mostly, I’ll probably try one of those automated fly around of them sometime, probably my favorite possession

I don't know if I *want* to know how much that setup ran! Though the GF saw it and does want to know :D

I don't know if I *want* to know how much that setup ran! Though the GF saw it and does want to know :D
180mm mak around 1200
102edl around 1000
ioptron goto mount around 1200
planetary cams, 3 to 400 each
pier homemade-priceless 😀

that’s the major stuff, probably another thousand in accessories, eyepieces and filters etc

on the bright side this equipment usually retains 80% resale value and last forever… also I think I’m done buying stuff now, it’s unlikely anything will come out better except for the cameras, I really enjoy it, here are a couple of shots from the last couple of months

Attachments

• 48CE24DA-C924-4600-BDE7-F376B33BABC7.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 1
  • CCAE6C30-0D00-489B-8E96-508BB69A04D9.jpeg
    CCAE6C30-0D00-489B-8E96-508BB69A04D9.jpeg
    338.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 7D16FAAA-2BD0-4EB8-88A2-71E5261A9F88.jpeg
    7D16FAAA-2BD0-4EB8-88A2-71E5261A9F88.jpeg
    47.7 KB · Views: 4
  • C1F0ACD4-7110-4B9A-8D24-5441C7BF8089.jpeg
    C1F0ACD4-7110-4B9A-8D24-5441C7BF8089.jpeg
    93.3 KB · Views: 4