DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Off grid charging? Solar?

Tried charging the Mavic battery with the car charger connected to the solar panel. The charger shuts off because the voltage is too high (18v.) If I fold up part of the panel, it reduces the output voltage enough for the car charger to work. Then the sun goes behind a cloud and the voltage gets too low and it stops charging again. The other problem is that the Mavic battery get too hot in the sun and stops charging. I have ordered an adjustable voltage regulator which I should be able to connect between the solar panel and the car charger. I will try to regulate the voltage to about 13 or 14 volts so the car charger will keep working.

I'm waiting for the Energen 360. It looks to be very powerful, has 110 volt outputs...and can charge 4 MPP batteries simultaneously. Like other Energen units, they sell a solar panel for it - but I don't know how well they work.

From the DJI web site:
"It is not recommended to charge the remote controller with a mobile power bank. This may damage the coulometer. Battery level readings for the remote controller may become incorrect, and the battery consumption speed may become greater than the charging speed."

From the DJI web site:
"It is not recommended to charge the remote controller with a mobile power bank. This may damage the coulometer. Battery level readings for the remote controller may become incorrect, and the battery consumption speed may become greater than the charging speed."
Interesting...i wonder if they're addressing the ones that are built specifically for the drone batteries as opposed to general purpose banks.

Interesting...i wonder if they're addressing the ones that are built specifically for the drone batteries as opposed to general purpose banks.
I am not sure what the story is. USB charging voltage is (or should be) 5 volts for all devices so it must be the amperage value or charge rate that can cause problems. A charger can be specifically built for drone batteries but not DJI drone batteries, given that there are so many different manufacturers each with their own charging specs.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dond40127