DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Off grid charging? Solar?

DroneJI

Reactions
Has anyone found a way to charge there DJI equipment off grid? I’m planning a trip where there’s no electricity I thought about foldable solar panels but haven’t figured out a way to use it to charge the batteries! Maybe a car charger would work of a 14v cell? But I don’t know if they have enough current (amperage) to actually get the car charger to work? Any ideas on what works?

Last edited:
The DJI car charger will apparently work to charge batteries one-at-a-time if your car is running. If you have an RV and have a good quality inverter system, that's a possibility as well.

I should have been a bit more clear I’m backpacking in to a area . I will be tenting it, so I need anything I carry to be as light and portable as possible if you ever watched one of those Alaska reality shows I won’t be that far from civilization but far enough that walking back to my vehicle won’t be a option just to charge the equipment. That why I was looking for some kind of solar option that goal zero battery is nice. It heavy and a bit bulky to add to what I have to carry in.

I should have been a bit more clear I’m backpacking in to a area . I will be tenting it, so I need anything I carry to be as light and portable as possible if you ever watched one of those Alaska reality shows I won’t be that far from civilization but far enough that walking back to my vehicle won’t be a option just to charge the equipment. That why I was looking for some kind of solar option that goal zero battery is nice. It heavy and a bit bulky to add to what I have to carry in.
The goal zero IS nice... my friend has one that he keeps at home in case of natural disasters. But it's basically as heavy as a car battery, and takes a few days of solid sun to fully charge by solar. It may not be a great option for you, though there are few others. You may elect to instead just bring multiple charged Mavic batteries with you -- it may be cheaper, and if you find you have too many at the end of your trip, they're pretty easy to sell.

The goal zero IS nice... my friend has one that he keeps at home in case of natural disasters. But it's basically as heavy as a car battery, and takes a few days of solid sun to fully charge by solar. It may not be a great option for you, though there are few others. You may elect to instead just bring multiple charged Mavic batteries with you -- it may be cheaper, and if you find you have too many at the end of your trip, they're pretty easy to sell.

Buying extra batteries is a option

I experimented with a 60 watt fold up solar panel on an extended rafting and camping trip. I connected a small Lipo charger to it and used it to charge up generic batteries for my scratch built quadcopter. It barely worked. It was hard to keep it pointed at the sun and took several hours to charge a 3s 3000 mAh battery. Hardly worth the trouble. Buy more batteries instead.
solar.jpg charger.jpg

Might want to google this, I saw it at my vendor but wasn't sure if forum policies would allow me to link it.

Energen DroneMax M10 – Portable Drone Battery Charging Station

Might want to google this, I saw it at my vendor but wasn't sure if forum policies would allow me to link it.

I saw that somewhere I think I will just have to grab a bunch of batteries and charge them before I go into the bush

I linked it above. It's available here on Amazon.

Last edited:
How about a battery pack with an ac outlet? So that I can use the dji charger?? Any ideas?

How about a battery pack with an ac outlet? So that I can use the dji charger?? Any ideas?
That would basically be using an inverter to go from DC to AC back to DC which would not be very efficient. I have read other threads that mention a direct DC converter to the correct voltage which would be more efficient, but I do not know any details on this. In any case, this would be a lot of weight added to a backpack.

Last edited:
Reactions: EsiMavic
Not sure if this will work, haven't tried it so don't blast me here. I travel a lot and bought a larger portable charger for my phone and laptop. I get many charges before I have to recharge it. Again, I haven't run the numbers and so forth but thought I would mention it.

515-gu7lXQL._SL1001_.jpg

Has anybody ACTUALLY charged Mavic batteries using solar panels? (Not clear from what I've read) I might (depending on...) be in the SW US desert at 31 deg N in November, several km from the vehicles, supported by undergraduates (kids). I'm 78, and can't carry what I did even 30 years ago. I need to charge 6 batteries for morning and evening flights.

Please tell me what you HAVE done, not what you might or could do.

I purchased the DroneMax M10 Portable Charging Station for DJI Mavic Pro
Energen DroneMax M10 | B&H Photo Video
I am experimenting with using a solar panel to recharge the DoneMax M10, which will charge 2 Mavic batteries. I will be doing some testing tomorrow. I will post my results.

Reactions: Yurii
Has anyone found a way to charge there DJI equipment off grid? I’m planning a trip where there’s no electricity I thought about foldable solar panels but haven’t figured out a way to use it to charge the batteries! Maybe a car charger would work of a 14v cell? But I don’t know if they have enough current (amperage) to actually get the car charger to work? Any ideas on what works?
I've been using this from rav power 27000 mah a.c battery pack.

USB C Portable Charger, RAVPower 27000mAh Built in 220V AC Outlet Universal Power Bank Travel Charger (Type-C Port , Dual USB iSmart Ports , 19V/1.6A https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MDKHWNR?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

I am using the Allpowers 60 watt solar panel. I connected it to the DroneMax M10 portable charging station. In morning sun, the panel is only putting out 17.8v which is probably not enough to charge the Dronemax battery. I will leave it a while to see if it works. I may ru connecting the Mavic car charger to the panel directly if this does not work. Will post more results later.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki