DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Weeks in remote, off-the-grid location. Checklist to bring and complete before departure?

lomposlapos

Reactions
I will be away for weeks in remote, off-the-grid location with 2 M3 aircrafts,1 RC Pro, and 8 batteries. What should I bring and complete before departure (been flying for years, but always good to hear others' opinion)? Looking to hear everything from filters to software downloads, etc., etc. anything that ensures a completely self-sufficient system for weeks. Electricity is from portable generator or car battery. Shooting both videos and stills, day and night.

Reactions: FlyingSLO
Looking to hear everything from filters to software downloads
It sounds like the only thing that's going to be different is the source of power for charging your batteries. And it seems you already have that difference covered.

Pack the same filters and other accessories you use when flying in on-the-grid locations.

As for software/firmware, if you make any changes before departing, you should fully test everything to ensure it's in working order. If all works well when on-the-grid, all should work equally well when off-the-grid.

Reactions: Nanny Ogg
One thing I was thinking of if I need to sync, etc with the latest version of DJI Assistant V2.1.15. As I won't have internet, I want to make sure I am not stuck with some firmware update/compatibility issue, or if I need sensor calibration, etc. Ofc will test fly home before leaving, but still...

I want to make sure I am not stuck with some firmware update/compatibility issue
If you like how everything is working now, then maybe don't make any changes until you're back home and have the proper time to work out any potential issues.

if I need sensor calibration
Hardware calibrations do not require an Internet connection, so they can be performed when off-the-grid if needed.

If you want to try a dry run, put your mobile device in airplane mode and head out for a flight. That will replicate the environment when no Internet connection is available.

Reactions: Nanny Ogg
I recall years ago I had to do a sensor calibration on a M2P off-the-grid (after lots of boat launch and landing). I had the laptop, a long USB cable, and the software, it was done successfully in the trunk of a 4WD. Trying to prepare for comparable scenarios...

I recall years ago I had to do a sensor calibration on a M2P off-the-grid (after lots of boat launch and landing). I had the laptop, a long USB cable, and the software
Sure, but that's not a routine calibration anyone would be doing out in the field. Since that's not going to be an option for you, maybe pack a back up drone just in case.

Reactions: FLDave
as someone who camps a lot in remote areas, and takes drones there, I have a few suggestions

* the first one is I'd be pretty cautious about charging Mavic 3 (assuming M3 = Mavic 3?) batteries from a generator, unless it's an actual inverter. Simple generators cycle thru surges and drops and fluctuations of power delivery your ear can't here....but can damage sensitive electronics.

* so, I'd use the car battery running thru a power point instead. Or, buy a power pack, or two, with fast charging ports and those you can recharge from the car battery or generator. Power packs similar to these (I have both)

* take along extra high quality USB cords. Much better to have too many than not enough (of course, the same thing is true about beer)

Amazon.com

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09FK2VWKW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

unless it is an actual inverter, I'd have the generator 3rd on my recharging priority behind the power packs and car battery. Don't trust it for delicate electronics

* another thing you might be able to do, which I haven't been able to accomplish yet even though I've tried: cache detailed maps of the area you'll be staying for use in the Fly app. If you figure out how, let me know because, as I said, the instructions I've seen here didn't work for me

yes
that's not going to be an option for you
Why can not be an option? This and similar rare but critical situations I want to be prepared for. Seems doable with a laptop (I have), USB cord and proper software.

Will this thing fully charge 3 batteries standing in the charger hub?
if you're talking the smaller one, maybe not; although technically is is 20,000 mAh while each Mav3 battery is 5000mAh...so maybe, although it may be slow charging the last battery. The bigger one should do it no problem

Last edited:
Seems doable with a laptop (I have)
Yep -- good to go then if you're taking a laptop.

A spare drone wouldn't be a bad idea if you have one. That'll cover you if you crash or lose your drone.

One thing I was thinking of if I need to sync, etc with the latest version of DJI Assistant V2.1.15. As I won't have internet, I want to make sure I am not stuck with some firmware update/compatibility issue, or if I need sensor calibration, etc. Ofc will test fly home before leaving, but still...
I don't think an installed DJI Assistant will be able to help you without also having internet access. It's just a front end for the needed online files that it accesses.

I don't think an installed DJI Assistant will be able to help you without also having internet access
Some parts of it require an Internet connection. The sensor calibration doesn't seem to be one of those -- or not at least when I last tried it.

Importance to cache all the maps you need before you lose internet connection.

I will be away for weeks in remote, off-the-grid location with 2 M3 aircrafts,1 RC Pro, and 8 batteries. What should I bring and complete before departure (been flying for years, but always good to hear others' opinion)? Looking to hear everything from filters to software downloads, etc., etc. anything that ensures a completely self-sufficient system for weeks. Electricity is from portable generator or car battery. Shooting both videos and stills, day and night.
Sounds like it's going to be an epic mission, any open seats available for a capable copilot? 🤘🏽😁

I second the recommendation by moldorf about using an inverter generator. If the generator is an inverter type you should be able to charge directly from the generator itself as most inverter generators have at least one standard household outlet. You indicate that the generator is portable - how big is it? I used an inverter generator for a whole month last summer to keep a travel trailer, laptops, phones, Mavic 3 batteries, controller, DSLR camera batteries, power banks, and other electronic devices charged without any problems.

Goal Zero makes excellent and durable power packs and devices for off-grid power needs. They tend to be higher priced than other comparable brands but their equipment well made and of excellent quality. I have a Goal Zero power bank that is going on 7 years old and it is still working perfectly.

Good luck on your trip.

Chris

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman