DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Official DJI Mavic ND filters

I dont need polarised as I fly away from the sun and must admit the pgytech set just does it for me and works well ...

So since the DJI ones are subpart, what Polarpro set would be ideal for most flight conditions? Also when do you want polarized vs not? I know I am probably asking for a photography course in a simple sentence.

I am tired of washed out video on sunny days but was waiting to see if the DJI ND set was any good.

Thx JC

Sent from my XT1585 using MavicPilots mobile app

The Cinema Series are our most popular sets right now:
PolarPro | DJI Mavic Filters

The top 3 filters I personally fly are: ND8/PL, ND16PL, ND32

-Jeff from PolarPro

-Jeff from PolarPro

Shooting landscapes for the last two weeks I declare that gradient filters would be the most demanded product.
I already ordered a set of your ND/PL filters from PolarPro.
And there is the only set of GRAD's I found at B&H - "Freewell", but it makes me crasy with its shipping time.

It should be more popular if you will be including GRADIENT filters into a set, or combine them with ND\PL.

Last edited:
After ordering the DJI set, I decided I wanted a ND 32 for bright sunshine at 8000 feet reflecting from unbroken snow cover, so I got a set of Tacos. I can't comment on their optical quality. The DJI's are really lightweight, but seem pretty flimsy. Insofar as I can tell, the 3 small tabs have miniscule hooked ends that look like they're supposed to engage a groove on the camera. Maybe I wasn't forceful enough in putting them on, but I couldn't get them to stay put. On my first flight/video session, the ND 16 fell off into the bottom of the gimbal/camera dome. The Tacos, on the other hand, snap around the whole circumference of the front of the camera, so they stay on a lot better.

Reactions: Will Falcon
Thanks for the info! I found the $49.99 set but what is the difference between this and the $79.99 cinema series? :)

Cinema is with a Polarizer in filters.

Maybe like that? =)

Non-polarized
1009837_original.jpg

Polarized
1009423_original.jpg

Non-polarized
1091626_original.jpg

Polarized
1092023_original.jpg

-Jeff from PolarPro

But that really doesn't explain when to use plain ND vs. Polarized and now someone mentions gradient? What the heck is gradient>? I saw the matrix on Polarpro's site about when to use each ND filter but for the PL filters, it just says "when polarization is needed" Again, I know I'm probably asking for a photography lesson is a single sentence, but can someone easily summary When to switch out to these various filters? Also wouldn't it be cool if someone built a filter that worked like those photochromic glasses and changed it's behavior automatically based on the conditions the camera is facing? I imagine many times doing a orbit, the ideal filter application might change three time during the 360 degree rotation of the drone.. I guess you can always run the orbit multiple times taking the drone down each time to change the filter and splice the videos based on what looks best at what direction (or not) I just want good shots that aren't washed out.

I went with a set of Polar Pro ND filters and tested them on a trip abroad to Costa Rica, the results are unbelievable.

I think I am going to invest on a set of Polar Pro - Cinematic Vivid collection and test them on my next trip abroad.

These pictures of the fishing boat were taken on a sunny bright day a mile and half of the coast of Costa Rica. It was so bright outside I could hardly see the display on my phone. Ended up using DJI's hood and that helped. Btw straight out of the Mavic, no post processing.

I was using an ND16 filter for the still shots and the video link attached below the pictures.

DJI_0002.JPG

DJI_0005.JPG

Reactions: spartanMF
But that really doesn't explain when to use plain ND vs. Polarized and now someone mentions gradient? What the heck is gradient>? I saw the matrix on Polarpro's site about when to use each ND filter but for the PL filters, it just says "when polarization is needed" Again, I know I'm probably asking for a photography lesson is a single sentence, but can someone easily summary When to switch out to these various filters? Also wouldn't it be cool if someone built a filter that worked like those photochromic glasses and changed it's behavior automatically based on the conditions the camera is facing? I imagine many times doing a orbit, the ideal filter application might change three time during the 360 degree rotation of the drone.. I guess you can always run the orbit multiple times taking the drone down each time to change the filter and splice the videos based on what looks best at what direction (or not) I just want good shots that aren't washed out.

ND filters will reduce shutter speed and not change the color profile.

CP, and ND/PL filters will reduce Shutterspeed, while also reducing glare and increasing color saturation and contrast.

-Jeff

It's definitely worth having a set of polarized NDs if you're shooting landscapes, especially at altitude or on glaring surfaces like snow or water. It's a pain to get them in the right position and the optimal position for a given sun angle seems to be minuscule and often elusive, but when you get it right, the shots are great.

Question for the Polar reps though - are the P4P ND/PLs less polarized than the Mavic filters? I'm having a hell of a time finding any difference in most shots regardless of orientation on the ND4 and ND8.

It's definitely worth having a set of polarized NDs if you're shooting landscapes, especially at altitude or on glaring surfaces like snow or water. It's a pain to get them in the right position and the optimal position for a given sun angle seems to be minuscule and often elusive, but when you get it right, the shots are great.

Question for the Polar reps though - are the P4P ND/PLs less polarized than the Mavic filters? I'm having a **** of a time finding any difference in most shots regardless of orientation on the ND4 and ND8.
Here is a video on how to orient the polarizer filters:

-Jeff from PolarPro

ND filters will reduce shutter speed and not change the color profile.

CP, and ND/PL filters will reduce Shutterspeed, while also reducing glare and increasing color saturation and contrast.

-Jeff

Hi Jeff, can not send an email to PolarPro, so I ordered a "cinema series set" at 16th Feb
with Priority Shipping (2 to 3 days) and still have no any news from Polar Pro.
Could you tell me please what happened?

Last edited:
Hi Jeff, can not send an email to PolarPro, so I ordered a "cinema series set" at 16th Feb
with Priority Shipping (2 to 3 days) and still have no any news from Polar Pro.
Could you tell me please what happened?
Hi Will,
You will see on the product page these are backordered and shipping March 6th.
If you need to change your order at any time you can shoot me an email: [email protected]

Thanks for supporting our brand,
Jeff

So since the DJI ones are subpart, what Polarpro set would be ideal for most flight conditions? Also when do you want polarized vs not? I know I am probably asking for a photography course in a simple sentence.

I am tired of washed out video on sunny days but was waiting to see if the DJI ND set was any good.

Thx JC

Sent from my XT1585 using MavicPilots mobile app

I have requested a refund from DJI, through Amazon, I hope they take care of this promptly. Another filter, my ND16 broke today. The lense completely snapped out of the frame when I was just removing it from the holder. Wow. Anyway, I'm liking the Polar Pro service I'm seeing her and I've used them in the past with very success results. I was thinking of trying Taco, but I'm going to order the Polars now.

Got my official DJI ND set a week ago. Done a few flights with no problem, really like the design as it's so light that it won't add too much load onto gimbal

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phoenix_00002