DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Official DJI Mavic ND filters

Got my DJI filters today. They do have a nice sponge type holder and seem well made. I tested out the #16 and it's a very bright Florida day today. It seems to have done it's job. First impression is that they work fine, although #4 and #8 won't see much use in Florida. would have much preferred at least a #32. I'll try some more tests but my Polar Pro filters seem to do a little better and the colors seem to jump off the screen with them. Not so much with these. Here's a brief, untouched video I shot with the #16 today.

And what shutter speed and file size where used with this recording?

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I installed them but did not have time to test. I did fly with one of them but not enough and I have have no with / without comparison.

I received mine today after ordering them on 1/15/17. They were easy to put on, and did not effect the gimbal, but were not easy to take off. I spent alot of time gently trying to prise the first tab loose, and wound up breaking the ND lens. They are very brittle and I am hoping I don't have to use them much in the interim until my PGYTech ND filters are delivered.

Ok, so I've had a chance to fly my Mavic with the official DJI Mavic ND filters. I'm not a photographer and I just like flying my drone with decent non edited pictures and videos, so this is from a noobie point of views.

Initial thoughts:
The filters come in a small box, similar to thy propeller blades. No case and no cloth bag, just 3 filters wrapped in individual plastic inside the box. None of the filters have any markings so they don't say which is the 4/8/16. The filters seem to made from plastic.

The filters are easy to clip on, and seem quite sturdy when placed in. They can be put on before turning on the Mavic and before doing the gimbal initializing. They were a bit tough to take off as you need to unclip them from the camera, and I didn't want to pull too hard in case I damage the camera or gimbal.

In the air, they seem to do their job. Again, I'm not a photo person so I can't give a professional opinion, but they did add a layer of shade during bright days, similar to sunglasses.

I can make an unboxing video and an in flight video if you would like.
So I was going to ask what these were used for (I'm a noob) but then this guy's said they're like sunglasses for the camera. Perfect analogy... [emoji106]
i did not get one...

ND filters will reduce shutter speed and not change the color profile.

CP, and ND/PL filters will reduce Shutterspeed, while also reducing glare and increasing color saturation and contrast.

-Jeff

Sent from my Pixel XL using MavicPilots mobile app

Sparkling clear video, people wait a life time to see what you've captured in minutes. Nice work.

Long Live the Republic

God and Country,
J. Murphy

Thank you. I've been waiting for a while to have the whales =)

I've already checked 4-ND/PL this morning
1096650_original.jpg

Last edited:
We have filters starting at $49.99 for the mavic :)
PolarPro | DJI Mavic Filters

-Jeff

Jeff. Would you you recommend the cinema set and the none coated versions? Or is it an either/or situation? Does the more expensive set have everything the cinema set has and more? I know one set is polarized. Is there ever a need for non-polarized version? Thanks!

Jeff. Would you you recommend the cinema set and the none coated versions? Or is it an either/or situation? Does the more expensive set have everything the cinema set has and more? I know one set is polarized. Is there ever a need for non-polarized version? Thanks!
I personally use the Cinema Series all the time. The glass is a higher grade, and the anti-reflective coatings help reduce lens flaring. There are 3 options for the Cinema Series filters, VIVID 3-Pack, Shutter 3-Pack, and a 6-pack which includes the both of them.

It is all personal preference on the polarized vs non polarized. When I want increased saturation I shoot the ND/PL's, and when I want my color profile to remain neutral I shoot the base ND's.

Hope that helps!

-Jeff from PolarPro

Reactions: Jaysjob
I personally use the Cinema Series all the time. The glass is a higher grade, and the anti-reflective coatings help reduce lens flaring. There are 3 options for the Cinema Series filters, VIVID 3-Pack, Shutter 3-Pack, and a 6-pack which includes the both of them.

It is all personal preference on the polarized vs non polarized. When I want increased saturation I shoot the ND/PL's, and when I want my color profile to remain neutral I shoot the base ND's.

Hope that helps!

-Jeff from PolarPro

Hi Jeff. Going to be in San Diego this weekend. I need to get my hands on the Cinema Series. Any recommendation on who may have them in stock in any part of San Diego? These are really hard to find. Or if you reply before end of day tomorrow (Thursday) anywhere in Cleveland area? Just taking a shot in the dark to see even if you know anythieng about where to find these.

Hi Jeff. Going to be in San Diego this weekend. I need to get my hands on the Cinema Series. Any recommendation on who may have them in stock in any part of San Diego? These are really hard to find. Or if you reply before end of day tomorrow (Thursday) anywhere in Cleveland area? Just taking a shot in the dark to see even if you know anything about where to find these.

If you order from our site we can ship them to your hotel / address in San Diego.
We can schedule them to arrive Friday or Saturday,

Let me know if you have any other questions!
-Jeff from PolarPro

If you order from our site we can ship them to your hotel / address in San Diego.
We can schedule them to arrive Friday or Saturday,

Let me know if you have any other questions!
-Jeff from PolarPro

Thanks for all your help, Jeff. I picked up the filters from hotel front desk this morning.

But that really doesn't explain when to use plain ND vs. Polarized and now someone mentions gradient? What the heck is gradient>? I saw the matrix on Polarpro's site about when to use each ND filter but for the PL filters, it just says "when polarization is needed" Again, I know I'm probably asking for a photography lesson is a single sentence, but can someone easily summary When to switch out to these various filters? Also wouldn't it be cool if someone built a filter that worked like those photochromic glasses and changed it's behavior automatically based on the conditions the camera is facing? I imagine many times doing a orbit, the ideal filter application might change three time during the 360 degree rotation of the drone.. I guess you can always run the orbit multiple times taking the drone down each time to change the filter and splice the videos based on what looks best at what direction (or not) I just want good shots that aren't washed out.

But that really doesn't explain when to use plain ND vs. Polarized and now someone mentions gradient? What the heck is gradient>? I saw the matrix on Polarpro's site about when to use each ND filter but for the PL filters, it just says "when polarization is needed" Again, I know I'm probably asking for a photography lesson is a single sentence, but can someone easily summary When to switch out to these various filters? Also wouldn't it be cool if someone built a filter that worked like those photochromic glasses and changed it's behavior automatically based on the conditions the camera is facing? I imagine many times doing a orbit, the ideal filter application might change three time during the 360 degree rotation of the drone.. I guess you can always run the orbit multiple times taking the drone down each time to change the filter and splice the videos based on what looks best at what direction (or not) I just want good shots that aren't washed out.
I like your idea of photochromic ND filters. I am surprised that I cannot find anyone that makes them?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arbee