DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Official DJI Response to the GPS Issue

I wait for the first announcement before taking off and hovering about 3 feet above the ground. Once I get the second notice I go ahead with my flight. It takes longer with my M3 than any other drones I have or have had but its generally within a couple of minutes.
So you are getting two announcements as well?

So you are getting two announcements as well?
Yes, I do. I get the first as soon as it has enough satellites to be "clear for takeoff" then I get a second once it reaches enough connections to be sure of the homepoint location or it feels the point is more accurate. So as a habit, I hear the first then hover just a minute (in reality less than 60 seconds) to hear the second then go about flying. If I have just flown and taking off again, the process is quick.

Yes, I do. I get the first as soon as it has enough satellites to be "clear for takeoff" then I get a second once it reaches enough connections to be sure of the homepoint location or it feels the point is more accurate. So as a habit, I hear the first then hover just a minute (in reality less than 60 seconds) to hear the second then go about flying. If I have just flown and taking off again, the process is quick.
Cool. Thanks for clarifying. Do both state "Home Point Set?" Yes, it is only the first flight that takes a bit. Any subsequent battery swaps are almost instantaneous.

You don't mention any details about where you are flying from.
If the drone's skyview is clear and unobstructed, it should pick up plenty of sats fairly quickly ... a little slower if the drone hasn't been flying for a week or more.
But if a substantial part of the skyview is blocked by buildings, mountains, tree cover etc, that will reduce the number of sats visible from that spot.
Is an obstructed skyview part of the issue?
crystal clear. no buildings nothing. i live next to the sea with no other buldings near me.Totally perfect conditions

it came 1 moth ago with the last one installed ,,,,and since yesterday i updated it to the current one
Then it appears to be working as designed. When location confidence is 4/5, it sets the HP. When it reaches 5/5, it resets it again! Weird to me!

hey there ,after beeing a happy owner of an air 2s i also bought the mavic 3 classic but kept the air 2s also
I fly both drones with the same dji rc pro controler
And gues what...gps problems with mavic 3
I did a back to back flight with both
First air2s
From the time of connection with the rc pro it took 4 sec to fine 4 sats and after that another 15 sec to climb to 9 and then another 15-20 sec to find 16 ....when o took of after some secnds boom 23 sats
now mavic 3
20 sec tofind 4 sats another 60 sec to climg to 9 sats and another minute to 11 ....then i took of and had to fly anotther 2 min so finally it locked to 15 sat (max )
so how is that possible ? and how is it possible exept the huge to delay that air2s locks 23-24 and m3 only 15?
Also another issue that concerns me is that 3 or 4 times it happened to me that.....i wait until i see 10-11 sats and hear that the homepoint has been updated and then i fly and after 2 or so minute in the air i hear again tha the homepoint has been updated without doing something..... Thats a little dangerous i think...changing the home point in the middle of the flight
What you describe is possible. Each drone uses different satellite constellation combinations, and this is part of what you experienced.
The User Manual Appendix section shows GNSS constellations used are;
Mavic 3: GPS+Galileo+BeiDou.
Air2S: GPS+Galileo+Glonass.
RC Pro: GPS+Galileo+Glonass.
I expect you were flying when the GNSS coverage of BeiDou was low.

Basic access to: www.uavforecast.com is free of charge.
If you go there and set the applicable Threshold settings of GNSS for each aircraft and then review the "Forecast" it may assist you to gain an understanding of what you shall experience during the next 24 hours with reasonable accuracy in the opens space you are flying in.
If you have obstacles on the ground, consider setting the GPS elev. mask to 20 degrees, to understand the GNSS signal reception on the ground.

Also,
1. to assist getting a quicker Home Point established: Power the RC Pro with sky visible and let it find the GNSS location ahead of powering the drone. DJI have confirmed to me that if the RC has its location calculated before the aircraft connection this shall supplement the drone's GNSS acquisition of location.
2. wait until the GNSS status in the FlyApp is white before taking off. The updated home point will occur at your takeoff position and any RTH will be to that location.
3. In the example you describe above of 15 GNSS, you shall have a longer time to establishing home point on first flight of the day.

I generally find that Beidou coverage is approximately half of the total GNSS available on the Mavic 3.

It appears that Glonass provides approximately 1/3 of the GPS+Galileo+Glonass GNSS coverage.

You are welcome to DM me with further questions if you prefer.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661