DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Official Mavic Pro Range Leaderboard!

On the way out i adjusted speed due to strong headwinds. Full stick was 260w which is way too much for a distance flight. Check the csview picture I posted and let me know if you want to see any other views.

Those data spreads are waaaay too scientific/smart for a dirtybum like me.
So how can you tell,while flying, the watts? you mean instead of going full speed/stick you actually back off? Thats unconventional and against the way every other dji model distance record has been made.

Reactions: digdat0
So how can you tell,while flying, the watts? you mean instead of going full speed/stick you actually back off? Thats unconventional and against the way every other dji model distance record has been made.
I watch rotor rpm to gauge wattage based on previous logs. I know how many watt hours my batteries are good for, so for example they can do 170W for 40min but its always more one way due to wind. You can see on the way back I was only using 130W at 16.2m/s which makes up for 220W on the way out.

I'll use csviewer to plot battery % vs voltage and host a hires picture. Looks like the battery voltage parameter could use smoothing? @BudWalker

R3vAKCp.png

I see I wasted 1% by not warming up on a non flight battery today. Also no pre warming of the batteries due to time constraints.

Thanks man. I see that chart shows exactly whats happening every second I wonder if there's a way to straighten up those lines and still keeping it useful by making it only show the averages from a certain time frame. Maybe the average from every 3 seconds? IDK if its possible with this graph or even if what i said would "smooth" it but it does give a little too much info and is a little hard for me to see what going on.

Last edited:

Not to make light of lolo's flying style but don't forget he did a lot of modifying "chopping" to the bird. It only weighs 1035grams with an extra 8000mah. With the ms8 lihv attached mine weighs 1230grms and i think others with the dual 4's weigh over 1300grams. I'm not going to say lolo's style of flying isn't helping but the weight reduction has more then a little do with it. You remember how much removing the camera on the p3 changed things.

Reactions: dirtybum
I'll use csviewer to plot battery % vs voltage and host a hires picture. Looks like the battery voltage parameter could use smoothing? @BudWalker

R3vAKCp.png

I see I wasted 1% by not warming up on a non flight battery today. Also no pre warming of the batteries due to time constraints.
I believe that the beta version you have has motor:Volts:Avg. Maybe it should be called motor:Volts:Total:Avg
upload_2017-10-29_6-32-22.png

I believe that the beta version you have has motor:Volts:Avg. Maybe it should be called motor:Volts:Total:Avg
View attachment 23961

TsKs8cg.png

The only thing about motor volts avg is I'm assuming it's measured at the mosfets and not at the battery connector. It does highlight the voltage drop under moderate load though and I wonder if there are ways to reduce those losses.

Last edited:
Not to make light of lolo's flying style but don't forget he did a lot of modifying "chopping" to the bird. It only weighs 1035grams with an extra 8000mah. With the ms8 lihv attached mine weighs 1230grms and i think others with the dual 4's weigh over 1300grams. I'm not going to say lolo's style of flying isn't helping but the weight reduction has more then a little do with it. You remember how much removing the camera on the p3 changed things.

At 228g (uncased, xt30) for 4500mAh that's 19.74 mAh/g which is the best I've seen for any battery combo. At this disc load every 8g lost saves 1W and doing some quick and calculations based on 15m/s, 40 min flight time, 150W power means 10g off should give an extra 225m of distance.

In english, the rear hinge mod alone is worth almost 600ft. Lightening both of my batteries is worth 1000ft. Battery choice itself I can't comment on since I've only used Thunderpowers, but the Multistars are definitely heavier. Maybe someone could post up a voltage vs time discharge curve on a Multistar 4.0x2 setup for comparison.

TsKs8cg.png

The only thing about motor volts avg is I'm assuming it's measured at the mosfets and not at the battery connector. It does highlight the voltage drop under moderate load though and I wonder if there are ways to reduce those losses.
Not sure if there is a question or point here. But, there is an official Beta that supercedes your Beta.
CsvView Downloads

Please use this one. I seem to have misplaced the Beta you've been using.:)

Not sure if there is a question or point here. But, there is an official Beta that supercedes your Beta.
CsvView Downloads

Please use this one. I seem to have misplaced the Beta you've been using.:)

Installed now. The output looks exactly the same, but seems to work faster. Thanks for all your hard work constantly improving this software for us!

Reactions: digdat0
I watch rotor rpm to gauge wattage based on previous logs. I know how many watt hours my batteries are good for, so for example they can do 170W for 40min but its always more one way due to wind. You can see on the way back I was only using 130W at 16.2m/s which makes up for 220W on the way out.
Which propellers you fly with? Regarding tachometer, what do the rpm speed/power correlate to in watts? I have a rough idea but haven't done the level of analysis you have. I generally stay under 80% on tachometer.

By the way, awesome work and results! That is really good for having a non optimal flying environment.

Reactions: lolo780
Which propellers you fly with? Regarding tachometer, what do the rpm speed/power correlate to in watts? I have a rough idea but haven't done the level of analysis you have. I generally stay under 80% on tachometer.

By the way, awesome work and results! That is really good for having a non optimal flying environment.
Flying with the platinum props. RPM to watts depends on setup so you just have to note the RC reading and look at the wattage data. I don't use the sport mode power meter at all any more as I think it just reads PWM.

My sport mode switch 1 is now ATTI mode which can be more useful to take advantage of tail winds.

Reactions: CyberNate
Note to the group: I have done a dozen flights without the bottom plate without issue and all on cool nights. My last flight I had an issue before takeoff that delayed me about 3 minutes. Got a message that the core board was overheated and the bird shut down immediately.

So if you ever plan to run without the bottom heatsink, get in the air asap (and this has only been tested on cool evenings so far).

EDIT: if you ever plan to run without the bottom heatsink AND the fan...

Flying with the platinum props. RPM to watts depends on setup so you just have to note the RC reading and look at the wattage data. I don't use the sport mode power meter at all any more as I think it just reads PWM.

My sport mode switch 1 is now ATTI mode which can be more useful to take advantage of tail winds.

Yes, it appears to be PWM reading, as you can tell that a 60% reading with full batteries is not the same as later when batteries are getting low. Anyway I believe it is still a good tool. The only other tools are RPM off controller and the graphical tilt indicator in the radar circle.

@JakeMaxxUAV
Please put me in for 34,602 feet out. I was flying in the desert with barely anything to interfere with the signal, using the ItElite NanoSync (no amp). Power source was 2x MS 3000mah LiHV batteries. The elevation at my turnaround point was at about 1200 feet, compared to where I took off at elevation was only 115 feet (had to climb 1100 feet to complete the task).

I am thinking about ordering Cyclone Titan from MaxxUAV (I already have the Nano Sync Antenna but want it to be all-in-one), does anyone think this is a better purchase or should I just buy the "EvoLite kit" for my "NanoSync Antenna?"

Airdata Link:
Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

Reactions: JakeMaxxUAV
Note to the group: I have done a dozen flights without the bottom plate without issue and all on cool nights. My last flight I had an issue before takeoff that delayed me about 3 minutes. Got a message that the core board was overheated and the bird shut down immediately.

So if you ever plan to run without the bottom heatsink, get in the air asap (and this has only been tested on cool evenings so far).

EDIT: if you ever plan to run without the bottom heatsink AND the fan...
I was thinking of putting an LED in place of the fan. Viewable externally of course.

Since I am challenged with my home location, I have to use a birdside amp and a trackimo. I decided to follow in Lolo's wake and fix my weight discrimination so I can compete with Cybernates record run where he weighed in at 1323 grams. Just waiting for good weather now :)

dronemods-323.png dronemods-322.png dronemods-319.png dronemods-321.png dronemods-320.png

Went out for a world record attempt, heated batteries, light wind, but had a run in with a tree top due to being off course by 10-15m. Both batteries separated and i recovered one by extrapolating flight path from the last data.

3e6996ebb1362713ed4de0dc74f57731.jpg

deeadc4811b01ce2e8a6f67ec71aefea.jpg

3295a20e9942119f815c41b1861c67b5.jpg

One of these.

53b745c88567c0305bb773fef626ddb8.jpg

Unbelievably I found the Mavic with only broken props and one cracked front landing leg. It powered up fine and no other damage. That's 10m/s horizontal, 10m/s downwards from the tree top where the video ends. The second battery was nowhere to be easily found though, so I wrote it off and ordered two more Thunderpower 4500HV.

Yes that's a Phantom shell in the background and the beginnings of a future project which will build on everything I've learned on the Mavic platform.

15m off course with altitude? I did the same thing recently (plowed into the top of a tree) and ran a google earth elevation profile between home and crash point, then found out there was 75 foot elevation change that I didn't account for. Live-n-learn...

15m off course with altitude? I did the same thing recently (plowed into the top of a tree) and ran a google earth elevation profile between home and crash point, then found out there was 75 foot elevation change that I didn't account for. Live-n-learn...
That sucks Lolo! Wow you have some tall trees to deal with! Can't believe you're going for records in that environment. Amazing results for all the obstacles you have.

15m too far to the right. Today I tried to fly on the left of the trees with the intent of staying just to the right of the terrain by the lake. Was going to try staying low down the whole way. Normally I'll fly over the hill but that means climbing up to at least 120m to maintain signal, and then there's too much wind.

ZDN7wg7.png

Reactions: klongx
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odnicokev