DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Official Mavic Pro Range Leaderboard!

Can confirm this. I only have DJI Go 4 on my iphone and now I'm afraid it's too late to put Go 4 on my ipad since the new restrictions in the app. I used to be jailbroken and could install old versions but I'm not now. So for now, I'm using my iphone for Mavic using an older version of Go.
i made a how to on rolling back. Some guys are having issues, but the majority it works. The method CyberNate posted as well should work.

I agree with Digdat LG, nice stock flight!
if I can be perfectly honest here, after I get my bird up and running I don't know if I want to run it distance. not only because of the critical autoland situation, but that is the biggest reason, but also because it just doesn't seem to have a lot of traction here. The Mavic goes 10 miles and gets a couple mentions and then doesn't get another comment for three days. Almost seems like there's not enough interest in the distance runs on the Mavic to risk it all.
@unknowncaller. what happened to you? not good weather, I know in the past you've crashed some birds and not mentioned it, has your Mavic to took drink in the pool. I guess I just thought this thread was going somewhere fast and it don't seem like it is now. what's your guys feeling on this, is the interest gone, has the distance got set so high already that nobody wants to risk their Mavic?(Believe me I don't feel like it's as expendable as other aircrafts I have)! is it the critical land thing?

My issue is fear of breaking it .. i got the Mavic for portability and flight time, but can't turn down a few distance flights. I crashed and broke my camera doing a simple active track of my daughter playing soccer, have replaced 3 gimbal ribbon cables and have ~$200 into replacement parts between those ribbons and gimbal motor (and its still not working right). I borrowed Mavic from a buddy for my Hawaii trip, which I'm ended up owning through a trade (i even renamed that bird "YouCantModThis"). I'm at the point where i just want the darn thing to work so i can take it back packing and take some pics of the kids/family/scenery. Because its size, I'll take it places I would never have taken the bulky P3 and really enjoy that aspect.

But, the thing that turns me off the most is the flight characteristics in autolanding. On the p3 and p4, we can run hard to 0% with very little affect on flight characteristics. On the Mavic, not only is it capping speed during autoland (10mph+ difference in speed is huge), but its not always controllable as you, Nate and unknown and others have all noted. For me thats a huge turn off, i don't mind the aircraft going down if its cause i risked too much and fell at 0% (which we both know has happened to me :p ), but i dont like going down because the flight itself is not controllable because of programming. I guess what i'm saying is, its much less predictable and feels like rolling the dice every time, whereas on my p3 I feel like its an educated choice and some skill which comes into play. The mavic is taking the skill out of piloting below 10% and its not trustworthy, and takes that aspect of fun. I fly long not just to get a spot on the board, but to push the limits of the hardware and my own piloting skills. For the Mavic, i only trust that to 10% .. and its just not fun anymore at that point.

Reactions: CyberNate
The extra power leads and balance plugs will add some weight as compared to a single 5200.

Understood. Just trying something that hasn't been posted up here to see. I have them already so what the heck :)

Regarding installing Go 4 app on your ipad, you should get the same version on your ipad as you have on your phone. When you go to the app store there should be a restore option provided that you have icloud. Just turn off auto updates.

I have icloud but I don't use it to backup the entire device. Just Calendar, Contacts and Photos. Does that still work? I have time machine backups on my mac that go back until the big bang so I think this procedure might work How To Restore a Previous Version of an iOS App. But I've never had DJI Go 4 on the iPad so it's a little different situation since everything is assuming you just want to roll-back a currently installed app.

i made a how to on rolling back. Some guys are having issues, but the majority it works. The method CyberNate posted as well should work.

Thanks I'd have to look into this this weekend maybe. I'm on Mac OS so hopefully if the methods above fail I have this option.

Hello!

Here’s my first attempt at a long range flight with a stock setup.

Conditions were less than ideal mainly because of the wind.

I was constantly getting the ‘wind velocity to high’ alarm so I think this reduced my max distance(that and my confidence in it making it back).

A quick google convert gave me: 16792.3228 ft

@JakeMaxxUAV

966278ba89f90ec4a52d173d478fe22b.jpg

Reactions: JakeMaxxUAV
I may be my braincell but your "distance" can never be more than your "flight distance". If the above is a fact you could be looking at a Nobel nomination..

I think all apps are automatically backed up. Just go to app store on iPad and find the DJI go 4 app. Most likely you'll see the restore button rather than install.

Keep in mind that I'm am android guy, so i apologize if I'm wrong.

The Mavic's range is limited by battery not radio. I can run past 17,000ft with my stock Mavic with no issues. It is after all rated at 4 miles. I'm not interested in antenna mods, a battery mod would be interesting if it fits in the stock battery case and not hanging out and strapped on with Velcro.

e09ba9f1f492065d0618b329be3fd4b6.jpg

Reactions: JakeMaxxUAV
I think all apps are automatically backed up. Just go to app store on iPad and find the DJI go 4 app. Most likely you'll see the restore button rather than install.

Keep in mind that I'm am android guy, so i apologize if I'm wrong.

Thanks I'll try that out since I never had Go 4 installed on it it's worth a shot.

The Mavic's range is limited by battery not radio. I can run past 17,000ft with my stock Mavic with no issues. It is after all rated at 4 miles. I'm not interested in antenna mods, a battery mod would be interesting if it fits in the stock battery case and not hanging out and strapped on with Velcro.

e09ba9f1f492065d0618b329be3fd4b6.jpg
Let us know if you find such a battery upgrade, very interested!
Stock, in FCC region, over water? Those are truly ideal conditions. Congested, CE region, radio-interference? Some cannot even go out 1 mile without disconnects. That's when you want to boost (and if you want to kick @CyberNate off his mighty throne;))

Regarding installing Go 4 app on your ipad, you should get the same version on your ipad as you have on your phone. When you go to the app store there should be a restore option provided that you have icloud. Just turn off auto updates.

Thanks bud that actually worked. Never knew that. I now have DJI Go 4 v4.0.7 on my iPad [emoji106]

Reactions: digdat0
Has anyone thought about attaching another DJI MAVIC Battery lead to put a second battery in sequence?

Hey guys, I updated the board. My apologies for taking so long to get it updated. There was a lot of back & forth between @CyberNate & @Unknown Caller - Great competition guys!! I'll do my best to stay on top of it now haha!

I may be my braincell but your "distance" can never be more than your "flight distance". If the above is a fact you could be looking at a Nobel nomination..

Hello,

This is a valid point. The reason you are seeing this is because I suffered multiple DJI GO 4 app crashes during the flight. Below Is a screenshot to show the individual flight logs that make up the total distance from home.

If this isn’t enough I will post the flight video later on.

Niall

476829af4ef45ee517d8ee037c09720a.jpg

Has anyone thought about attaching another DJI MAVIC Battery lead to put a second battery in sequence?

What do you mean by "in sequence"? You mean to add a second battery in parallel I think. Yes, that should work. There's no real advantage to do this over adding external packs. The weight/mah is similar.

My issue is fear of breaking it .. i got the Mavic for portability and flight time, but can't turn down a few distance flights. I crashed and broke my camera doing a simple active track of my daughter playing soccer, have replaced 3 gimbal ribbon cables and have ~$200 into replacement parts between those ribbons and gimbal motor (and its still not working right). I borrowed Mavic from a buddy for my Hawaii trip, which I'm ended up owning through a trade (i even renamed that bird "YouCantModThis"). I'm at the point where i just want the darn thing to work so i can take it back packing and take some pics of the kids/family/scenery. Because its size, I'll take it places I would never have taken the bulky P3 and really enjoy that aspect.

But, the thing that turns me off the most is the flight characteristics in autolanding. On the p3 and p4, we can run hard to 0% with very little affect on flight characteristics. On the Mavic, not only is it capping speed during autoland (10mph+ difference in speed is huge), but its not always controllable as you, Nate and unknown and others have all noted. For me thats a huge turn off, i don't mind the aircraft going down if its cause i risked too much and fell at 0% (which we both know has happened to me :p ), but i dont like going down because the flight itself is not controllable because of programming. I guess what i'm saying is, its much less predictable and feels like rolling the dice every time, whereas on my p3 I feel like its an educated choice and some skill which comes into play. The mavic is taking the skill out of piloting below 10% and its not trustworthy, and takes that aspect of fun. I fly long not just to get a spot on the board, but to push the limits of the hardware and my own piloting skills. For the Mavic, i only trust that to 10% .. and its just not fun anymore at that point.

I hear ya Steve. I'll probably never beat my 54,000ft flight. I don't want to risk losing my Mavic again. I've already lost one and my significant other will kill me if I go out and buy a 3rd one. I'm perfectly happy flying mid 40,000ft flights without any drama. I did one last week with Jake's Nanosync antenna. No drama and back with plenty of battery. I'm a bit surprised that you won't even mod the battery. That really had nothing to do with your gimbal issue. I wouldn't want to lose the ability for extra battery capacity. It's nice having an easy 35 minutes of flight time. I was at a party recently and took my Mavic up with my dual 3000s. I hooked up the Goggles and let everyone used them. 35 minutes is a long time and plenty to let all the kids and adults play with the goggles.

Reactions: digdat0
What do you mean by "in sequence"? You mean to add a second battery in parallel I think. Yes, that should work. There's no real advantage to do this over adding external packs. The weight/mah is similar.

I mean instead of adding a XT lead you add another Mavic battery plug, and send the Drone off with two batteries, not just one

Did some runs today and tried the single 5200LiHv packs (really have to learn how to make screenshots with the moverio). Took me a bit over 11.300m (37.000') (@50m alt.) out and cause the wind had picked up since last run came 600m short on return
I can also confirm that when the critical battery mode was reached the mavic's yaw became ridiculously sensitive and hard to control. I found a spot between some apple trees and made a nice soft landing. By the time I got there some guy with dog was holding my precious in his hands about to walk off. Although he claimed he didn't, I saw that he must have tried to disconnect the external battery by simply pulling the cables totally deforming the battery adapter leads..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
burke_chris_001