DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ok, im convinced the magnetic usb cable is affecting my Mavic 2.

I was thinking the same thing. That's why I suggested experimenting flying without a phone or any other cable just to see if it might be related to radio interference from the phone or a problem with that USB cable. Do one with the magnet and once with.

You will hear people losing control/wiered glitches or app crashes due to a poor cable from phone to controller and also from phone radio interference.

Interesting. I don't doubt that as a possibility, I have just not read that anywhere nor seen people sharing that information and its inconsistent with my experience with the controller. I don't even know how that would be possible without some sort of physical insertion switch that's not typically built into a micro-USB female port like that.

If anyone can confirm that I would wonder why a good portion of the population is able to leave the cable plugged in and use the bottom while others are not and also which one was the intended design and the other the anomaly.

OK - a quick test cleared up that question. If the DJI-supplied micro-USB cable is connected then the bottom USB port is disabled. The magnetic micro-USB connector that I have does not affect the bottom USB port whether it has a cable connected or not.

Been using them (oval type) on Air, M2Z and M2ED controllers for months and really like them (no issues).

OK - a quick test cleared up that question. If the DJI-supplied micro-USB cable is connected then the bottom USB port is disabled. The magnetic micro-USB connector that I have does not affect the bottom USB port whether it has a cable connected or not.

Well kind of. I just did the same now that I am home with the drone. The port is not disabled but rather converted to charge only. It sends power to a connected device but data is blocked. I had seen the device charge in the past when I connected to the bottom port so I guess I made a leap of logic thinking the data path was still viable. Its been a while since I had been in that situation. I wonder what DJI intends you to charge while connecting to the side port for data and having the

My experience has been expanded. There must be a signal loop of some sort in the cable that is detectable by the controller hardware but without busting out a multimeter and analyzing the pins I guess I will never know. The magnetic adapter alone must not complete that loop triggering the firmware to block the data on the lower port. Which I guess makes some sense because if the adapter always triggered a connected state even not being attached to anything it would be a lot less useful to a lot of people. Thanks for clearing that up and letting us know.

I just wish I could reproduce the original poster's issue so I could do some troubleshooting. I also wish I knew how to interpret the raw data in the log files to see the minute details. Goals, I guess.

Reactions: sar104
Well kind of. I just did the same now that I am home with the drone. The port is not disabled but rather converted to charge only. It sends power to a connected device but data is blocked. I had seen the device charge in the past when I connected to the bottom port so I guess I made a leap of logic thinking the data path was still viable. Its been a while since I had been in that situation. I wonder what DJI intends you to charge while connecting to the side port for data and having the

My experience has been expanded. There must be a signal loop of some sort in the cable that is detectable by the controller hardware but without busting out a multimeter and analyzing the pins I guess I will never know. The magnetic adapter alone must not complete that loop triggering the firmware to block the data on the lower port. Which I guess makes some sense because if the adapter always triggered a connected state even not being attached to anything it would be a lot less useful to a lot of people. Thanks for clearing that up and letting us know.

I just wish I could reproduce the original poster's issue so I could do some troubleshooting. I also wish I knew how to interpret the raw data in the log files to see the minute details. Goals, I guess.

If the OP posts the log files then we can certainly dissect them to whatever level you want.

Reactions: dirkclod
Just to make it clear which I should have stated from Post #1. I use the magnetic USB cablea for charging only. I never use them for actual flying cables.

If the OP posts the log files then we can certainly dissect them to whatever level you want.
98% of the time all I have is my tablet. One day when I pick up a new Pc or laptop I can load iTunes and upload log files, .dat files whatever files needed to share so for now no files to share but I understand why the files can be useful.

The only reason I use them there was a guy about 8 or 10 months ago desperately searching for a way to charge his rc he. He was in Brazil or south Africa with no way to charge or repair it. So instead of putting finger in dam why not patch it .

Thanks. Someday I am planning on looking a little closer at my own log files just to begin the process of understanding their logging format.

Makes sense.
98% of the time all I have is my tablet. One day when I pick up a new Pc or laptop I can load iTunes and upload log files, .dat files whatever files needed to share so for now no files to share but I understand why the files can be useful.

I mostly mentioned it for my own curiosity. Since your problem seems pretty easy to fix for yourself there is just a point where digging deeper just gets tedious when you could be out flying. I am stuck watching a smoker cook ribs so I have too much time on my hands to use being overly attentive to posts on the forums. :)

Reactions: dirkclod
I had been using the magnetic charging cable on my M2P. I stopped because my drone does a very slow left rotational yaw when it is installed while flying. Too bad, because it really is handy for charging the remote.

I had been using the magnetic charging cable on my M2P. I stopped because my drone does a very slow left rotational yaw when it is installed while flying. Too bad, because it really is handy for charging the remote.

That may simply be the magnetic field affecting the Hall-effect sensors in the left RC stick. If so then the flight log will show that as a stick input. You might be able to calibrate the sticks to remove that.

Reactions: The Editor
As above ^^^^

The RC uses Hall Effect sensors (which rely on a moving magnetic field) on the gimbal sticks.

I have been using these adapters for months with absolutely no problems and leave the connector stub permanently in the side socket.
However, the very first day I got the magnetic cable and plugged the stub in, I did a full stick calibration to ensure any magnetic flux the stub induced on the Hall effect sensors (which would be constant and non variable) was calibrated out.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
This is the little devastator......I use a CrystalSky with the M2Z so I'm using the bottom connection on RC so the magnetic adapter is just attached by itself when flying.. all I know is the magnet is so strong when I place the part that connects to that little monster it can be 4 inches away and it attracts to each other.
This adapter looks exactly like mine. I have been using for several months with no faulty occurrences. I keep the charging portion inserted permanently. I have yet to notice any problems.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
This is the little devastator......I use a CrystalSky with the M2Z so I'm using the bottom connection on RC so the magnetic adapter is just attached by itself when flying.. all I know is the magnet is so strong when I place the part that connects to that little monster it can be 4 inches away and it attracts to each other.

Iv been using the Magnetic USB's for about 30 flights-
ALL Good... Occasionally with my exuberance - I whack the Magnet off in Flight But with the centre connector in place only- I just reconnect the Magnet to my phone - and the APP resumes-
No Problem
=============

But Those little devastators as you call them - are HIGHLY Magnetic -
They CERTAINLY can have an Effect being so close to the RC left Joystick

See this Video Which Benchmarks this test -

- So instead of Keeping the MAGn Connector in the Top LEFT of the RC (for charging)
… Rather use it the Large USB part in the Centre Below- with the Loose Cable or Tied Up, and Leave the Magnetic connector in YOUR PHONE for Quick Connect-

Then after Use Plug your RC into the charger with a Regular connector on top Left-

I have watched the video and find it interesting. I do see the effects. So to be on the safe side of things I will not use them on my remotes. It's not worth the charge factor that I can possibly loose a a few $1300.00 drones all the way down to my Autel Evo..... I wish anyone that uses them good luck and happy flying...

Iv been using the Magnetic USB's for about 30 flights-
ALL Good... Occasionally with my exuberance - I whack the Magnet off in Flight But with the centre connector in place only- I just reconnect the Magnet to my phone - and the APP resumes-
No Problem
=============

But Those little devastators as you call them - are HIGHLY Magnetic -
They CERTAINLY can have an Effect being so close to the RC left Joystick

See this Video Which Benchmarks this test -

- So instead of Keeping the MAGn Connector in the Top LEFT of the RC (for charging)
… Rather use it the Large USB part in the Centre Below- with the Loose Cable or Tied Up, and Leave the Magnetic connector in YOUR PHONE for Quick Connect-

Then after Use Plug your RC into the charger with a Regular connector on top Left-
Could you send me the link to the one your purchased? I am looking for one I can connect from my RC to my phone.

Do you use the bottom USB port to connect the RC to your phone? I'm trying to figure out a which magnetic cable will transfer data reliably from the RC to my phone because I try to keep the magnetic adapter in my phone's port

I don't trust the magnetic ports for data only for charging. But yes since I have the magnetic tip permanently in the side microusb port on the controller, I use the bottom USB port to go from controller data to phone data. The bottom port and my phone port are much more robust so I don't mind plugging and unplugging the bottom port. Unlike the weak side controller port that I use only for charging since I can keep the magnetic adapter in it permanently to reduce stress.

Do you use the bottom USB port to connect the RC to your phone? I'm trying to figure out a which magnetic cable will transfer data reliably from the RC to my phone because I try to keep the magnetic adapter in my phone's port
The magnetic cable I have is for power only, all other functions for me are via the USB at back bottom center.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure