DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ok it happened again!

Hillbilly Pilot

Reactions
Here’s what’s going on... I flew a couple days ago and when I hit return home the bird comes back and hovered about 10’ or so above the home spot next thing I know it flew backward into the house. Today I go out trying to see what I could do I flew around for a bit. Went through two batteries decided to bring it home. After the first battery I landed it with no issues. I never hit the home button at all. After the second battery I brought it back and hit the home button, it came back and hovered again it flew backwards to the back of the house. I called it quits after that. I have to find out what I’m doing wrong....

Here’s what’s going on... I flew a couple days ago and when I hit return home the bird comes back and hovered about 10’ or so above the home spot next thing I know it flew backward into the house. Today I go out trying to see what I could do I flew around for a bit. Went through two batteries decided to bring it home. After the first battery I landed it with no issues. I never hit the home button at all. After the second battery I brought it back and hit the home button, it came back and hovered again it flew backwards to the back of the house. I called it quits after that. I have to find out what I’m doing wrong....
Hello apparently what I have seen on you tube that you have to do a firmware upgrade on each battery while it's on the drone , plug it in the computer and use dji assistant 2 that should fix it

When you say"home" button, I assume you mean RTH? When you first take-off & it reports "Your Home point has been recorded, please check it on the map", what altitude are you going up to? You need to be at least 10m high & hover for a few seconds, this allows the MA to capture a good optical image of where to auto RTH to. There is a thread on here somewhere showing tests on how accurate this makes the landing, and this is what I always do, resulting in very accurate landings when using RTH.

Reactions: ScubaBob
Ill tell you one thing. Nothing helps better than flight logs around here. People will be able to tell you exactly what went wrong as soon as you post those logs.
How To

Reactions: JDawg
Hello apparently what I have seen on you tube that you have to do a firmware upgrade on each battery while it's on the drone , plug it in the computer and use dji assistant 2 that should fix it
Battery firmware wouldn't (or shouldn't) affect flight like that. It should only change how the battery handles and reports it's state of charge.

Reactions: kei888
I'll say it again, you need to upgrade to version 500

read the 500 update notes and you will see that they addressed EXACTLY what is happening to your drone

He is right, its exactly identified...

Aircraft Firmware :
Remote Controller Firmware : DJI GO 4 App iOS :
DJI GO 4 App Android :
What’s New?
2018.09.26 v01.00.0500 v01.00.0200 v4.3.0
v4.3.0
Aircraft:
 Fixed the issue where the aircraft behaved abnormally when it misidentified a subject in ActiveTrack.
Fixed the issue during RTH where the aircraft continued to fly backward when it sensed obstacles both in front and behind.
 Fixed the issue where the time displayed on photos was incorrect.
 Fixed the issue where the aircraft flight distance was still restricted despite the Distance Limit being
disabled in DJI GO 4.
 Fixed the issue where the abnormal current warning appeared too frequently in some situations.
 Fixed the issue where the aircraft could not land due to issues with the remote controller control sticks.
Remote Controller:
 Added the ability to adjust the camera parameters. Press and hold the customizable button and toggle the gimbal dial to adjust.
Notes:
 Make sure you update the DJI GO 4 app to the latest 4.3.0 version or higher before updating the firmware.
 Restart the aircraft and remote controller after the update is complete.
 Please note that the firmware update may reset various Main Controller Settings, such as the RTH Altitude and Maximum Flight Distance, to factory defaults. Before the update, take note of your preferred DJI GO 4 settings, and readjust them after the update to suit your preference.
 This firmware update resets the camera settings.
 GEO zone authorization will be disabled after this firmware update. Please reinstall it again.
 If the firmware upgrade fails, restart aircraft, remote controller and DJI GO 4 or DJI Assistant 2, and retry.
DJI Mavic Air – Foldable 4K Drone – DJI

Ill tell you one thing. Nothing helps better than flight logs around here. People will be able to tell you exactly what went wrong as soon as you post those logs.
How To
I’ll have to dig into this some more. I’m a complete newbie when it comes to this! I flew one in Florida and decided this is something I wanna do. It’s a blast when all goes right. So I’ll figure it out with the help from here!

When you say"home" button, I assume you mean RTH? When you first take-off & it reports "Your Home point has been recorded, please check it on the map", what altitude are you going up to? You need to be at least 10m high & hover for a few seconds, this allows the MA to capture a good optical image of where to auto RTH to. There is a thread on here somewhere showing tests on how accurate this makes the landing, and this is what I always do, resulting in very accurate landings when using RTH.
That’s a correct assumption! Generally when I take off it’s been off of my back deck which is a 16’x32’. I fly straight up for about 20’ then away. Total height was approximately 60’ or so that last time.
So next time I’ll try 30’ or thereabouts and hover a few. We’ll see what happens I guess!

My next plan of attack was to recalibrate the compass... and then going to an open field to see what happens... any reason to recalibrate?

Oh one more thing... there wasn’t anything in front of the aircraft or behind it. Except the house which was about 12’ back...

Well I’m thinking it was around 10 but I’m older and am not sure!

10 is not enough. That’s basically the lowest you should ever fly with. If it drops to 8 because it’s blocked by your house the mavic will relocated itself as the precession dramatically dropped.

You don’t even have to too close to the house to loose the signal from the gps satellites. Lots of info four there on how Gps works

Oh one more thing... there wasn’t anything in front of the aircraft or behind it. Except the house which was about 12’ back...

If the house was 12 feet behind you was there sunlight in front of you. Sunlight can confuse the sensors and make it appear as a solid surface.

Everything you are saying in all your posts keeps leading back to the .500 firmware being the most likely fix for you.

And also knowing how those sensors work and how they can fail you.

Well I’m thinking it was around 10 but I’m older and am not sure!

That is one possible explanation. If you drop below 12 or so, there is a chance it doesn't have a great GPS lock and you can get drifting. Since you're next to your house, it's possible that structure is blocking some of what is otherwise a decent GPS signal, and you get some drifting. Again - just a possibility and something to keep an eye on in the future. I don't take off unless I see 12 or more.

Is it just me, or do you seem to be ignoring Air Beetle’s advice about the 500 update?
Nope not ignoring anything! AirBeetle posted yesterday evening and I read it last night before bed. And this is the first time I’ve been on today! I’ll try the firmware update as soon as I can...

Reactions: Gooseman
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer