DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ok Pros that use Apple Ipad, have a question.

Steve K

Reactions
After a lot of people making a case to use apple instead of my samsung products I have relented and bought an Apple iPad, 2018 edition 32 gigs. I am only using it for this drone as I everything else I have is Android. So my question is...... Since this iPad is ONLY Wi-Fi and not cellular will I still be able to see a map in the lower left hand corner or is that only when your tablet is hooked to the internet..Thank you all in advance.

Last edited:
If after a lot of people making a case to use apple instead of my samsung products I have relented and bought an Apple iPad, 2018 edition 32 gigs. I am only using it for this drone as I everything else I have is Android. So my question is...... Since this iPad is ONLY Wi-Fi and not cellular will I still be able to see a map in the lower left hand corner or is that only when your tablet is hooked to the internet..Thank you all in advance.

It will be interesting when you receive replies... I asked this question of several editors, users, and such and never received replies. I cannot answer about seeing the map. However, I now know that if you do not have the full functionality of GPS units, then you lose functions and elements. I plan to get a large iPad soon. And, everything else we have in the house is also Android... I have read about problems with android software, but if any one can tell us more, please jump right in.. Cheers!

It will be interesting when you receive replies... I asked this question of several editors, users, and such and never received replies. I cannot answer about seeing the map. However, I now know that if you do not have the full functionality of GPS units, then you lose functions and elements. I plan to get a large iPad soon. And, everything else we have in the house is also Android... I have read about problems with android software, but if any one can tell us more, please jump right in.. Cheers!
while that sounds completely logical about not having GPS since it doesn't have internet how would the Mavic Pro 2 know its GPS coordinates without internet access?

I have the same ipad as you and I use my phone as a hotspot to get the map on my ipad. You can also cache maps if you know the area you are going to fly in.

Reactions: buddb55
There are several posts like this already on the forum. The two things you won’t be able to do is view maps, but you can cache them ahead. The other feature you won’t have will be the ability to change your home point if you move locations. Your AC has GPS in it.

I use an iPad Mini 4 WiFi only and don’t have any issues. I either connect to my phones hotspot or cache the maps ahead of time. Hope this answers your question.

Reactions: buddb55
Since this iPad is ONLY Wi-Fi and not cellular will I still be able to see a map in the lower left hand corner or is that only when your tablet is hooked to the internet
If you need help with caching the maps, you can find detailed instructions here.

Reactions: JDawg
while that sounds completely logical about not having GPS since it doesn't have internet how would the Mavic Pro 2 know its GPS coordinates without internet access?

Don't get GPS mixed up with internet access, they are completely different. GPS is a little module which calculates its own position using satellites, it does not require an internet connection. The Mavic aircraft has one in so the aircraft always knows where it is. I think the only reason to need GPS in the ipad/phone/viewing device is if you want to change the home point while the aircraft is flying, e.g. if you are in a moving car or boat. Otherwise you do not need GPS or internet access, except as said above to get the maps display.

I think the only reason to need GPS in the ipad/phone/viewing device is if you want to change the home point while the aircraft is flying, e.g. if you are in a moving car or boat
It's also required for the Follow Me flight mode (for DJI drones that have that feature).

I have the same ipad as you and I use my phone as a hotspot to get the map on my ipad. You can also cache maps if you know the area you are going to fly in.
JDawg, Could you explain how to use my phone as a hotspot to get maps on my Mini 4 I Pad? Thank You. Chuck.

JDawg, Could you explain how to use my phone as a hotspot to get maps on my Mini 4 I Pad? Thank You. Chuck.
I turn on the personal hotspot in the cellular area on my iphone and then get a code/password. Then on my ipad I go to wi-fi and it shows my phone as a hotspot and I use the code to log on. Simple as that.

Reactions: WAXMAN
My iPad Mini (16GB) only has WiFi and works great for flying my Mavic Air. There is no data so I need to cache the maps ahead of time (or tether as suggested by others), however, they iPad does have a GPS chip and I use the iPad with google maps when travelling etc. It’s fun having the bigger screen, especially is others around you want to see the live view while you fly! Fun for everyone :D

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronewithdeshaun