DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

OK, so how is this even possible?

Yeah I figured that's what you were going to say. :rolleyes:
it's just semantics and I think most of us know what concept I was try to relate but I'll fix it so there is no confusion.
the point still stands.
The Trust certificate is almost nothing.
You cannot compare it to a driving or flying licence which demonstrates some level of proficiency in driving/piloting and knowledge of rules.

That you won't know about when you are flying at 60mph 1500 feet in the air in controlled airspace. Because you don't know you can't. Because there is no minimal certification or training requirement. Because the advertisement told you so.

You seem to be stuck on the wording of the advertising and take it as an undeniable truth across the board.

Do you think someone could (or would) buy a 90K man-carrying drone and get it home, charge it up and whisk themselves off on an uneventful first flight without being made aware of their responsibilities and the dangers involved?

Do you think that the company that makes the Jetson will make no attempt of informing their customers of the regulations, training and safe practices they should seek and follow?

Something tells me the company will indeed make actual customers (if/when they actual exists), aware of these things, I would go so far as to say they even would have their own training available or possibly required in order to purchase.

To me the website and lack of details and information looks more like an attempt to get investors than it is aimed at customers. Below is The menu bar of the Jetson site and below that is the Menu bar of a popular seller of another type of "No License required aircraft" - can you spot the differences?

JetsonToolbar.jpg
Aerolight.jpg

Reactions: Torque
Back in 1981 when I had my quicksilver ultralight (in Canada), we were required to write an

exam to obtain our required "pilots license".

The test was not at all hard ( less knowledge required then the licensing for

my drone). The big difference in obtaining the ultralight license, was there was an

ACTUAL study guide to review that only pertained to the aircraft category we were flying.

This (to me) was a fair way of controlling the hobby to keep it safe ( if your going to fly,

we want you to be at least knowledgeable and safe doing it). This was the sole agenda

for this license requirement. Today though, the test is designed as more of a

deterrent to frustrate people so they eventually just give up and move on to something else.

The one thing I really think they need to put on this drone is some safety cage around those props. Other than that, I would probably familiarize myself with it and fly it. IF I had the money of course.

• Haha
Reactions: Ty Pilot
Jeff Bezos at one time told the FAA that he wanted to deliver stuff to rich people with giant drones with 27 inch props and they should keep track of all those dangerous little drones. Whether or not he really wanted to deliver anything makes no sense because rich people don't live anywhere near where houses. But this did give him a high security clearance to test drones and shortly after this he was appointed "Senior Advisor to the Pentagon" as the news link below states. He can basically tell our military what is safe and what's not. So the richest man in America bought himself a seat to be the most powerful as well. Of course a lot of that money was given to him by us, the tax payer as we have also funded his space ships Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos joins a group led by ex-Google CEO Eric Schmidt to advise the Pentagon

This claims that no license or training is required:

It weighs almost 200lbs empty and can travel at 63mph at 1500 AGL (minimum of Class E airspace in the US).

How is it possible that our < 55lb drones (most are WAY less than that) that are limited to 400AGL require a Part 107 license or at a minimum a TRUST certification issued by the FAA but this doesn't need a thing to fly it except the $100,000 price of admission?

This makes no sense to me at all.
Someone answered this, but it has a pilot on board and falls under Part 103 and is not considered a drone/UAS.

Under Part 103 (ultralights) there are no licensing requirements for the pilot or aircraft, but training is HIGHLY recommended regardless of aircraft. Part 103 includes paragliders, powered paragliders, parasails, some lighter than air aircraft, and now of course the Jetson. Under those regulations there are restrictions on things such as weight, single passenger (some variations permitted for training), flying only during daylight hours, air speed capabilities, max fuel capacity of 5-gallons, some airspace restrictions, recreational/sport purposes only, etc.. Even though there are no licensing requirements, those aircraft must ALWAYS obey airspace rules. Apparently, the Jetson falls within the guidelines of Part 103.

A quick web search for FAR Part 103 will give a better description of the rules.

Jeff Bezos at one time told the FAA that he wanted to deliver stuff to rich people with giant drones with 27 inch props and they should keep track of all those dangerous little drones. Whether or not he really wanted to deliver anything makes no sense because rich people don't live anywhere near where houses. But this did give him a high security clearance to test drones and shortly after this he was appointed "Senior Advisor to the Pentagon" as the news link below states. He can basically tell our military what is safe and what's not. So the richest man in America bought himself a seat to be the most powerful as well. Of course a lot of that money was given to him by us, the tax payer as we have also funded his space ships Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos joins a group led by ex-Google CEO Eric Schmidt to advise the Pentagon
Having worked for the DoD and been involved with a lot of private contractors, more often than not I’ll trust the team like Bezos’ way over the DoD military or civilian personnel. And the Defense Innovation Advisory Board has actually done some pretty useful work in harnessing the power of the commercial base to move things along. The biggest challenge has been with some "woke" companies not wanting to use their people or skills to help the DoD. And that kind of mentality never slows down the Chinese or Russians, so it only hurts us in the long run.

Last edited:
I am pretty sure this snippet has been shown before but it came up in YouTube again and it's worth watching.

You've got to wonder how this father had not qualified for a Darwin Award and lived long enough to have children.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54