DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

OK to keep batteries in Refrigerator?

Bill Ludwig

Reactions
As most of us know, Li Po batteries HATE high temperatures. Here in Arizona, it's almost impossible to fly during most of the day. I keep my batteries in an ice box when I'm flying away from home, or the refrigerator (40° F) when I'm flying at the house. Anyone have thoughts about harmful effects from keeping the batteries a LOT colder than ambient temperature just prior to flight? It just keeps the battery at the end of the flight at a much safer temp.

Lithium Polymers are a whole new ballgame when it comes to batteries. Do a google on Lithium Polymers and find education on these amazing contraptions. They are amazingly complex. Also, a search on this forum will give loads of info.

Take care,

remotepilot

Reactions: Bill Ludwig
As most of us know, Li Po batteries HATE high temperatures. Here in Arizona, it's almost impossible to fly during most of the day. I keep my batteries in an ice box when I'm flying away from home, or the refrigerator (40° F) when I'm flying at the house. Anyone have thoughts about harmful effects from keeping the batteries a LOT colder than ambient temperature just prior to flight? It just keeps the battery at the end of the flight at a much safer temp.

I live in Vietnam, not quite as hot as AZ, but the 90+ temp and 90% RH has killed more LiPo's than I can count. Quality electronic connections are also a challenge to maintain.

LiPo's love the refrigerator. I let the batteries sit in a camera drybox after flying, and let them slowly adjust inside the AC. I keep all my LiPo's in the fridge, in a small Tupperware with dessicant gel beads. With your desert climate, skip the drybox gel effort. The most important thing is to change the battery temp slowly. Rapid temp changes zap LiPo's quickly.

Because of the rust and corrosion problems here, I spray WD40 on almost everything in the house. Amazing stuff :)

Reactions: r.gwynn
I have always kept batteries in the fridge. This includes all chemistries, and both primary and rechargeable.

Most condensation issues happens when you take them out, and not when you put them in. Minimizing (or eliminating) condensation is simple: put each battery in a well-sealed plastic bag. If you have a vacuum machine, vacuum pack, but don't let the vacuum go all the way or you could crack the case. You simply want to get rid of air pockets. The sealing and the removal of most of the air reduces to near-zero the amount of moisture that might condense.

Then, when you take them out, let the unopened battery and bag warm to room temperature for 2-3 hours. You'll get lots of condensation on the outside of the bag (if it is warm and humid), but not on the inside.

Resist the temptation to artificially warm it up, and don't open the bag until the package feels like it is up to room temperature.

You can use a point 'n shoot IR thermometer to make sure of the temperature.

As has been said- the important thing is to allow the battery to warm up (above 20deg C would be a good temp) before you fly it. Lower temperatures reduce the ability of LiION chemistry to deliver current. Yes, the battery SOC reports the temp to the flight controller so in theory you shouldn’t be able to launch below the set critical minimum however the temp sensor is on the outside of the cells and the cells are a bit like a frozen chicken- they thaw from the outside in.

Allow several hours for the cells to acclimatise before using and all should be good.

Btw- lipos love heat. They deliver more current when warmed up well. The exception is storage where aging is accelerated. What temps are you getting that worry you?

You should NEVER store batteries (any type) in the refrigerator... that was a myth.

When once removing from the fridge they will begin to condense and water damage can begin to cause damage.

Store in a cool dry place.

You should NEVER store batteries (any type) in the refrigerator... that was a myth.

When once removing from the fridge they will begin to condense and water damage can begin to cause damage.

Myth? LiPO chemistry ages at a slower rate at reduced temperature- that is a fact.

The water damage from condensation is a myth. Yes- there will be some condensation probably however allowing a short time to acclimatise before you charge/use the pack will make that a non issue.

If I was going to keep my batteries in the fridge I would vacuum seal them using a FoodSaver. (<$100) to eliminate moisture, of course my average humidity in the summer is usually 20% or less.

Reactions: Slim.slamma
If I was going to keep my batteries in the fridge I would vacuum seal them using a FoodSaver. (<$100) to eliminate moisture, of course my average humidity in the summer is usually 20% or less.

Our relative humidity in Utah is in the 20s during the summer as well. Winter RH is in the 70s. I'll be flying during the winter also, but with extra measures to protect the batteries.

Seems to me a lot of bother for not much gain. Keep them in a cool spot in your home, put them in a cooler with something cold if traveling on hot days and out of the sun except when flying.

This has worked well for many for many years of RC fun. But one should do what one is comfortable with.

AGREED! We used to store all batteries used with our equipment and on the engines in the fridge, but it was discovered through further research (by someone else in our department) that the batteries should never be stored in a refrigerator!

Reactions: kupua
Myth? LiPO chemistry ages at a slower rate at reduced temperature- that is a fact.

The water damage from condensation is a myth. Yes- there will be some condensation probably however allowing a short time to acclimatise before you charge/use the pack will make that a non issue.
[Edited by Moderator]Water damage will occur if you STORE batteries in the fridge. No myth here. If humidity dew point is hit, there will be water condensation. you can't tell when/where that will happen, so its BEST practice NOT TO DO SO. and to add, you prob can't acclimate properly for many situations. Your comment is negligent.

I have stored batteries (LiPo and others) in a "Dorm Fridge" or in the "Crisper Drawer" in the fridge for... well decades. I always get a chuckle when someone comes over to my workshop and I tell them to grab a water out of the fridge (we have 2 dorm fridges) and they open up the workshop one and take a double take... no waters all batteries.

I've got everything from single cells up to 6S in the fridge. Any packs I have that I am sure won't be used in the next week or so get stored in the fridge. I do keep them in a sealed "zip type" bag but that's for ease of storage and they don't get all mixed up in the drawer.

YMMV but we've done it this way for many years. If you slow the chemical process down you preserve the battery.

Side Note: We do NOT keep our batteries for our Emergency Services aircraft in a fridge. It takes way too long to bring them up to operating temps.

A review of supposedly authoritative sources, reviews, and studies on the Internet is all over the place on whether or not you should store lithium batteries in the refrigerator. I was not, however, able to find specific information on lithium batteries that contain electronics as our drone batteries do.

There is so much misinformation and conflicting views on this thread.
Around 5 degrees and at circa 3.86v per cell is the PERFECT condition to store lithium polymer packs. - So yes, in a fridge is absolutely the best place.
Lipo packs begin to deteriorate the moment they leave the production line and will continue to do so whether they are used/charged/cycled or not.
A badly stored pack (in warm environment) can lose around 12-15% of its capacity over a 12 month period.

Storing a pack in a refrigerator at around 5 degrees slows that deterioration to around 1-2% per year.

I have ALWAYS stored both my RC packs and my professional camera batteries (which cost many times what DJI batteries cost) in the refrigerator - have done this for years and NEVER had one single issue. But have got longevity out of all my cells.

Don’t believe it?

These guys probably have forgotten more than any of us will ever know about battery chemistry....

Last edited:
Not wanting to join the debate (I am no battery expert), but I look first for the manufacturer recommendations. From the Mavic battery safety guidelines: "The ideal storage temperature is 22°C - 28°C." That's 71.6°F - 82.4°F for those of us stuck with the Imperial system.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_