DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ok to remove protective film from top of gimbal?

How many have you repaired?
I don't repair Mavics. I guess you know that though?

Some people should stick to commenting on what they know best.
DJI did not mean for that sticker to remain attached. If you can provide documentation otherwise, then please reference it.

Evidently, knowledge about the wear and tear on a Mavic is not your forte.
Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed today? Calm down there, friend :)

The proof of the pudding is in the eating. I have provided 2 different pictures. One of a pristine gimbal, and one that has been scratched due to wear and tear.

FWIW, here's a thread from the DJI forum where DJI support recommends removing this sticker:
Transparent film at the top of the gimbal. Remove?

Call DJI 6 times, get 6 different answers.

DJI "Yes, this can and should be removed."

Same thread:

DJI "There seems to be some confusion because of missing info from the devs of Mavic. At this point it doesn't quite matter whether or not it is removed, though leaving it on may allow you to avoid some slight cosmetic damage to the top of the gimbal."

My point exactly. Yaw motor covers are not widely available, and replacing them requires complete disassembly of the gimbal,

So, what do you think? Is DJI going to start selling replacement gimbal stickers? You know... for when the sticker wears through and needs to be replaced (like your photo above). This could be a nice small revenue stream for them.

So, what do you think? Is DJI going to start selling replacement gimbal stickers? You know... for when the sticker wears through and needs to be replaced (like your photo above). This could be a nice small revenue stream for them.

I am willing to gamble that if DJI did that, people would be ripping their gimbal ribbon cables or snapping rubber bands by accident trying to get the old, torn sticker off, and sticking the new one on. The DJI sticker on the yaw motor cover has some very strong glue on it, compared to the adhesive they use on stickers on the FOA eyes, and the paper stickers on the arms and batteries as they come new.

Reactions: effjaye
Wow, I didn't know what I started. After seeing only the 1st response yesterday, and being tempted to remove the sticker by the yellow tab sticking out, I removed it...and I'm starting to think I shouldn't have had and am tempted to agree with Thunder. It was different than removing any other protective film, it was very hard to remove, I had to use tweezers, it had very strong glue. I was able to remove it in 3 pieces, and had to be very careful not to move the gimbal around too much. I then realized it's not meant to be removed, but then again, why would the ugly tab be sticking out of there? But then again, if they wanted us to remove it, why would they glue it on so strong? These are some of the questions I am planning to ask the Dalai Lama.

At this point I'm not too worried about it, but I'm OCD and touch up every tiny scratch on my car, so I'll probably cut out a small circle of duct tape and stick it on there, or maybe clear tape will look better, though offer less protection. in any event, had I seen the rest of these posts, I would not have removed it, but would have just cut off the yellow tab.

Reactions: Former Member
I am willing to gamble that if DJI did that, people would be ripping their gimbal ribbon cables or snapping rubber bands by accident trying to get the old, torn sticker off, and sticking the new one on. The DJI sticker on the yaw motor cover has some very strong glue on it, compared to the adhesive they use on stickers on the FOA eyes, and the paper stickers on the arms and batteries as they come new.
Listen to Rob from Thunderdrones. I can testify he knows exactly what he's talking about.

Reactions: Former Member
Listen to Rob from Thunderdrones. I can testify he knows exactly what he's talking about.

From his pictures it’s clear that it scratches no matter whether you remove that film or not, depending on how insane you are when flying.

So remove it, don’t remove it - whatever. I’m so used to removing these things because otherwise heat and cold cycles can make them a nightmare to remove down the line. So I’m glad I did.

9fa932e1af10cfcb2fb35043452e66d8.jpg

I read on rcgroups not to remove it.

Also some one had a problem with horizon level which went away when they put the sticker back though I doubt a tiny sticker would make that much of a difference.

But then again, if they wanted us to remove it, why would they glue it on so strong? These are some of the questions I am planning to ask the Dalai Lama.

I already asked him, you know what he says? He says, "Gunga, Gunga la Gunga." Fans of Caddyshack will know what I mean.

DJI "There seems to be some confusion because of missing info from the devs of Mavic. At this point it doesn't quite matter whether or not it is removed, though leaving it on may allow you to avoid some slight cosmetic damage to the top of the gimbal."

My point exactly. Yaw motor covers are not widely available, and replacing them requires complete disassembly of the gimbal,

Why would anyone need or want to replace their yaw motor cover over "some slight cosmetic damage"? If someone is thrashing their Mavic around to cause this they likely aren't concerned about a slight scratch on a part of the Mavic that is barely visible.

Why would anyone need or want to replace their yaw motor cover over "some slight cosmetic damage"? If someone is thrashing their Mavic around to cause this they likely aren't concerned about a slight scratch on a part of the Mavic that is barely visible.

Many Mavic owners are meticulous.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet