DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ok to use 5v 2a phone wall charger for MM?

thrashr

Reactions
Hey,

I just picked up a barely used Mavic Mini (and absolutely love it!) after using a Tello drone, but want to know if it's ok to use a 5v 2a Oppo wall charger to charge the MM? I've used it a couple of times and it charged with no problem but don't want to slowly kill the battery if I continue to use it.

I had a look around the forum, and other forums, and they say to use an 18w charger - which is a 5v 3a capable of fast charging.

I also have another Oppo charger which is 5v 4a, would this be ok to use or the 4a is too high? There is nothing on any of my chargers that say 18w output though, only 5v 2a/5v 4a..

If none of these are suitable, would this be ok to use with the std USB cable it came with: 18W Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 Super Fast Universal USB Wall Charger AU Plug | eBay

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

The MM uses QC 3 to fast charge as is the case with most modern devices. Devices with C may adhere to PD standard which is similar.

With QC and PD, higher wattage delivery is accomplished by negotiating higher voltages. The MM will negotiate up to 12v with a compatible charger.

The reason for using higher voltage is because you need thicker wiring to handle higher currents, and you get loss through resistance and heat.

So with a 5v only charger the MM probably will draw only 2A max, which is only 10W.

The 18w charger can deliver, and the MM accept [email protected]. Many found MM charges even faster with a higher wattage QC charger where the charger delivers as much as 2A@12v. Thats 24W delivery! MM may even draw 2.5A@12v from a capable charger, delivering 30W!

Reactions: IFlyhigh37
By the way, it is almost always OK to use a power supply capable of higher currents, the device being powered will only draw what it needs. You can't go higher voltage though.
QC and PD charger and device negotiate the highest common accepted voltage and will default to 5v.

Reactions: thrashr
Thanks for the replies.

@DanMan32 cool, so even with my 5v 4a charger it will only draw the current it needs. Do you think the charger mentioned in the first post would be acceptable? I like the idea of quick charging.

According to the listing, it supports QC devices, but once again its output is saying 5v 3.1a (but changes voltage according to device that is connected? - not sure if mine does that)

The 5v 4a charger I'm using is an Oppo ak779gb flash charger.

I'm a bit wet behind the ears when it comes to this stuff.

Cheers