DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Okay, Got that behind me!

Sailorsteve

Reactions
Yes, my first crash today!
I was over at the Little League ball park complex, practicing turning and maneuvering with the Mavic facing me, as well as manual landings. After a landing, I took off again and while making a sideways move to get back over the diamond to "run around the base path", I wasn't paying attention to my altitude and parked the Mavic in a tree!
I stood there in disbelief. I wasn't angry, I wasn't panicked (it was a small tree), I just couldn't believe I was stupid enough to do that. As I was walking over to the tree to regain my drone, it began to slide out of the tree. I hurried but didn't get there in time. It fell about six feet to the ground.

When I got there, it was laying upside down. It had mud splatters over a lot of it, and a prop was completely broken away. The damage didn't seem too sever. Even so, I felt like the "Old man" in Christmas Story when he was picking up his broken lamp! The same music was playing in my head!

I took it home, cleaned everything very thoroughly, put on a new set of props (why take a chance), went back over to the ball parks and started it up to a low hover and wiggled it around a bit. Everything seemed alright so I took it up higher and let it run out and about. You can be sure I was more attentive to altitude this time!
Well, the Mavic was laughing and having a good time, and I was breathing easier and having a good time!

It was a lesson learned. Fortunately, it was an inexpensive experience, but I learned well from it.
There are so many things to be aware of and keep your head in the game when learning to fly!!

Dang sorry to hear Steve. BTW why the heck did they plant a tree on a baseball field. J/K. I am glad you were able to fix it.

Old aphorisms in the airline world.

"Never put your aircraft in airspace your mind hasn't already occupied."

"Don't be forced to demonstrate superior physical skills because of a failure to demonstrate superior mental skills."

Always good for folks to read these stories. Glad it survived. And you will never do that again. :)

I know how you feel, first crash is always bad, but expected, eventually. It is the next one that will make you feel stupid. I am glad I bought DJI's refresh policy.

In the beginning, a few times while flying, I hit thin branches and leaves and nothing happen, but did nor yet learn my lesson. Weeks latter, I was showing off for some friends, flying out of sight. Flew into the house, Mavic dropped 8' to the ground. only damage was a couple of broken props. Put on a new set, back up and flying in minutes. (BTW I always have an extra set of props on hand.) Don't want to be grounded for days waiting for more props to arrive. Thanked my lucky stars.

Then a couple months latter was videoing some friends 5K run, though I was flying lower then the power lines crossing the road. I wasn't, hit the power line and the Mavic dropped like a rock. That crash require a trip to the Mavic Hospital. Being grounded was the longest 2-1/2 weeks in my life.

So though I learned my lesson then, but no. Couple weeks ago, went fly on the first nice day after a very long cold spell, literally, Took off from my deck since yard was deep in snow, when I was done flying, bring it back to land, snaking it down through the trees, did a sideways maneuver to avoid some branches, of course I went the wrong way, usually get confused with sideways control when the Mavic is facing me. heard tic tic tic, Mavic tumbled around, dropped a few feet, then righted it's self, which surprised the heck out of me, it was still flying, so turned it around and maneuvered it backwards thru the trees and back to my deck and landed. just chipped a couple props. Again, just replaced the props and it is up and flying again. I am pretty impressed with the Mavic. It really is a pretty tough bird.

So for you, if it happens again, you will just be one of us.

Dang sorry to hear Steve. BTW why the heck did they plant a tree on a baseball field. J/K. I am glad you were able to fix it.

Hi Ryan. The tree wasn't on the playing field, it was next to the bleachers to provide shade for the spectators.
I was off the field, using the bleachers as my "work station" so I wouldn't have to be on the ground.
Thanks. Enjoy your day!

"Don't be forced to demonstrate superior physical skills because of a failure to demonstrate superior mental skills."

LOL, love it!
The days of my superior physical skills are slowly slipping by. I better start workin' on those superior mental skills! o_O

Yeah, I agree replace broken propellers, but you should know your MP will fly just fine with one of the propellers half missing. Look it up on YouTube pretty amazing really,

Add the words of wisdom
Don’t fly where you can’t afford to crash.
Don’t fly over Tiger County where there is nowhere to outland.
And the most famous off all.
There are old pilots and the are bold pilots but there are no old bold pilots!

30 years of flying small single engine aircraft and these have served me well and they apply just as well to flying RC

Reactions: joejaxvic123
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
360Guy