DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Old, Bold Pilot

GregE

Reactions
Now that I've survived over five decades as an aviator I'm looking for another flight opportunity beyond the basic Hubsan living room experience.

Lots of research thru Youtube reviews mostly- time to see what regular operators think. I'll find the Info section soon....

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .Thumbswayup

A lot of your choice in drones comes down to why you want to fly. Is it about the aerial photography or more about the thrill of flying like a bird. In my case it is a bit of both with a tilt toward the bird aspect. I am also an ex-aviator but with a whole lot less experience (and a long time ago) as just a VFR casual pilot. One thing I think I am trying to do is recapture a bit of the thrill of being in the cockpit which is why I just ordered the DJI goggles to go with existing Mavic 2. If you can answer the why question, the choice will be a bit easier.

By the way, I remember a saying from my flying days. ‘I have seen bold pilots and old pilots but not to many old, bold pilots”. ??

Thanks Ken, I figured many were familiar with that saying. And it should have meaning for the UA folks also though death or injury is less likely.

Still figuring out the usage justification for the comptroller. :) Mainly just to get back to that view I love so much after 7800 hours in helos and about 600 in airplanes. Hey, we have a solid foundation in weather and airspace and it looks like there's going to be more need for it.

welcome to the forum ,i took up UAV flying as a hobby several years ago, as i had always been interested in things RC and i have found it helps keep me young,and gets me out in the fresh air when the weather permits there are many aspects to the hobby apart from the actual flying of the UAV,and they all contribute to the overall experience

Now that I've survived over five decades as an aviator I'm looking for another flight opportunity beyond the basic Hubsan living room experience.

Lots of research thru Youtube reviews mostly- time to see what regular operators think. I'll find the Info section soon....
Welcome to Mavic Pilots from Dayton, Ohio USA! Fly safe and have fun!

Looks like we have a lot of us old timers that have taken up flying drones after looking down at beautiful scenery from our single engine planes. I sold my Cessna back in the 80’s and spent many years sitting at the bridge tables playing cards. I moved to Arizona 9 years ago and spent many hours photographing the beautiful landscapes from the ground. I bought my grandson a small drone and was fascinated by it. I saw some beautiful photos in magazines and online that were taken by drones. I researched the various drones available and decided to purchase a Mavic Air this past November. I am fascinated by the way it flies and equally fascinated by the quality of the photos and videos it takes. Rather than purchasing new batteries for longer flying periods or car chargers for longer flying when I’ve traveled hours to fly, I bought a Mavic Mini.
I’m sitting in the cockpit again looking at beautiful scenery and photographing at the same time......Love it and love reading all the helpful info that I get from all these “old timers” as well as the younger men....bye the way......,where are the women drone flyers?
enjoy your new hobby!

Hi GregE,
Your heading caught my eye. If you are "Old, Bold Pilot" then I must be "Even Older But Never Off the Ground"
I bought a Mavic Pro a couple of years ago, and then bought all the goodies to go with it. Lack of time and fear of crashing kept me from ever flying the Mavic. Also the drone police that I did not expect when initially starting. Anyway, I'll be selling mine soon.
Best wishes to you
Don

• Sad
Reactions: GregE
Thanks Ken, I figured many were familiar with that saying. And it should have meaning for the UA folks also though death or injury is less likely.

Still figuring out the usage justification for the comptroller. :) Mainly just to get back to that view I love so much after 7800 hours in helos and about 600 in airplanes. Hey, we have a solid foundation in weather and airspace and it looks like there's going to be more need for it.
I agree, a background in manned aircraft is a good advantage but I really didn’t think that being able to read a VFR sectional would be as useful as it is. BTW, did you know that you can download them from the FAA website?

Yes downloaded one yesterday. Suprised myself recalling much of what I seeing. I should- spent 22 years instructing helicopter pilots in all phases of training and standardization.

Reactions: Camino Ken
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenakeetwo