DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My Drone Journey

Photobobhunt

Reactions
As a member of the Delaware Photography Society, I was introduced to drone photography around 2015 by a member who was an early adopter. But though he piqued my interest it was not enough to make the substantial investment in the new technology.

In 2017 while traveling the country, full timing, in our 30-foot Newmar, I visited the Enchanted lens Camera Club in Albuquerque, where a local drone photography company gave a very good presentation and tweaked my desire to have a flying camera in my inventory. But I still wasn’t ready to make the jump.

In 2020 COVID took us off the road and we settled in Albuquerque, New Mexico. In 21 during COVID, I really started research and decided the birds have finally come down in price and developed the technology to rope me in.

At that time, I had already been doing real estate photography for good friends that were top agents in New Mexico and I saw other possible opportunities, mostly to develop skill.

My first drone was the DJI Mavic Air 2.

After a few weeks of regular practice in the closed schoolyard across the street, I was approached by the management of our community, to take construction photos of their new build on the other side of town. I didn’t have my 107 but I decided to study and take the exam …… I studied via YouTube videos, mostly Tony Northrup and Katias Buzz, along with nuggets from other contributors.

The hardest part was getting stuff in my long-term memory at 77, I suffer from CRS (CAN’T REMEMBER SHI*) But after a month of review, I took the test and scored 86%. Ill be reviewing again because I need to take the redcurrant later this year.

I retired from Full time Professional Photography in the 1980’s when video was either VHS, U-MATIC or Betamax and editing was pre computer. I had done weddings and events back then but even after we entered the digital age in the early 2000’s, I did not pursue Video with the fully capable DSLR’s or Mirrorless cameras.

So, knowing I was a novice pilot, but accomplished photographer, I was contracted to do monthly aerial videos and stills of the progress. It was a bargain for them and a learning experience for me. Ultimately this one contract paid for my drones, related stuff and 107 and is still going for a few more months.

I started by remembering the KISS principal (keep it simple stupid). Only using the windows editing for video but trying a few different programs before tackling DaVinci, learning to color grade and use LUTS where I’m just good enough to make an acceptable, sub-5-minute video. I’m also doing drone stills for my realtors.

In summary, I upgrade to an Air 2S last year, and recently purchased a Mini 2 for the few overseas trips scheduled in the next 14 months. I’m still learning. And keeping mentally sharp.

So far, one minor crash, just recently started using ND’s and the 1/over frame rate rule, and just this week tried the master shots on my Mini 2, I’ll soon try waypoints on the 2s.

Welcome back to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

Welcome Back !
I love my Air 2S.
I did some work in your area a few years ago and took the Breaking Bad tour
DaVinci is a huge learning curve BUT A friend of mine that does it professionally Told me That because the User Community is so large, It has actually become much easier to use.
I use it and I know Nothing of professional Photography But lots of videos and forums out there.

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

just this week tried the master shots on my Mini 2, I’ll soon try waypoints on the 2s.

Welcome from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, USA. We have a Member's Map in the Upper Right of the Title Bar. Click on "Members" and then Click on "Member's Map…" Check it out and you might find some new flying friends.

I'm 107's and I took the recurrent exam about a years ago and if I remember right, you read the information first, then they ask you, you cannot fail, it's free, and you can take it as many time as yu want…. Even for fun, sort of as a pre-exam test for the 10 license….

Below is the links to all of the downloads offered by DJI for the Mini 2 and theAir 2S, including the User Manuals.

After you read the Manuals, read tehm again, you will be surprised what you missed the first time and you will be better prepared for that first "scary moment…"

Fly Safe and Often…

…I didn’t have my 107 but I decided to study and take the exam …… I studied via YouTube videos, mostly Tony Northrup and Katias Buzz, along with nuggets from other contributors.

The hardest part was getting stuff in my long-term memory at 77, I suffer from CRS (CAN’T REMEMBER SHI*) But after a month of review, I took the test and scored 86%. Ill be reviewing again because I need to take the redcurrant later this year…
…I'm 107's and I took the recurrent exam about a years ago and if I remember right, you read the information first, then they ask you, you cannot fail, it's free, and you can take it as many time as yu want…. Even for fun, sort of as a pre-exam test for the 107 license….
Welcome!

@LoudThunder is correct! Just take the *free* recurrent online and you’ll receive the training with quizzes.

Low stress and free! So different than the initial 107. Just make sure to get the “for Pt. 107 remote pilots” version, not the “for Pt. 61”.

Thanks for the input on the recurrent. I was aware that it was are virtually an open book test (Remember them)

I really appreciate all of the greetings and suggestions.
I'm not sure how long the drone "Hobby" will be a viable venture for most people. Unfortunately, enough non flyers have a negative impression of the hobby. And because anybody can fly without instruction or a desire to stay within the boundaries, that is likely to continue.............. Another topic for another day.

Welcome! I grew up in Albuquerque and have lots of family there. I also have a house in Edgewood. I'll be back for the Balloon Fiesta in 2 months, looking forward to that! Obviously I won't be flying there, Last year the Fiesta had a great drone show!
We had a windy Spring & a hot summer.
1n 2019 we were staying in our RV at Coronado Village Off 25, and I walked to the Fiester. Now we live right off 25 and Paseo . We have a in, and go every year for opening launch on the first Saturday. It is the best event in the state. They did a pre dawn drone show last year too. In 2018 they had daytime FPV done racing at the Museum. When on the road we use to overnight at "Wildlife West" in Edgewood.
COVID took us off the road in 2020 , but we had already put a deposit on our apartment which was under construction.
Its a small world.
Thanks for your post.
FYI , Did you Know "Drone U " ( You tube Contributors) is located right across from Domingo Baca park? I met the principals one day while practicing at the park, nice people.
Have a great day.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne