DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

On the fence - ramblings

Brojon

Reactions
Sold my P4P - was sad to see it go but I hardly packed it anywhere due to the bulk.
I have a Mini 3 Pro on the way but meanwhile I'm giving consideration to an Air 2S package.
I like that the 2S has Litchi support - I use that a lot.
I also like the 1" sensor but bummed it doesn't have variable aperture.
Which brings me to a discussion on the ND filters available.
Seems I never needed to go over ND32 with any of my birds so the ND filters that come with the Flymore should cover that.
But I was made aware that Freewell puts out a pretty nice variable ND filter set.
Most people don't know that the way a VND works is it's simply two polarizers with one able to rotate and the "cross polarization" causes the darkening.
I read a report from a photographer that said the cross polarization would result in a vignette on teh bottom right.
Has anyone noticed that?
So two questions:
should I get a MA2S - is it a good bird for photography and video?
any recommendations for fixed vs variable ND filters?
Thanks!

There is one feature not many talk about , not sure why.
That is that there is no Zoom Feature in the Pictures mode on the Air 2S.

I have found that this greatly affects the Photographs I want to take.
Many times while flying and video recording I will see the Picture I want framed beautifully, however when I go into picture mode that Frame of the Photograph has changed , and without the zoom feature , the shot is not there .

This is one of the Reasons why I cherished the Mini 2 because of the Zoom feature in the Picture mode.
Now we have the Mavic 3 that has the Zoom Feature and Frames the shot anyway I need it.

So the Air 2S is our go to drone for everything video, but shares the limelight with other drones .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly the Air 2S in the Rain. Land on the Water

I read a report from a photographer that said the cross polarization would result in a vignette on teh bottom right.
Can't talk specifically about the filters for the air2s, but in general yes some vignetting/uneven brightness across the frame is a thing that can happen with variable NDs depending on the settings/conditions.

Reactions: Brojon
Sold my P4P - was sad to see it go but I hardly packed it anywhere due to the bulk.
I have a Mini 3 Pro on the way but meanwhile I'm giving consideration to an Air 2S package.
Seems I never needed to go over ND32 with any of my birds so the ND filters that come with the Flymore should cover that.
But I was made aware that Freewell puts out a pretty nice variable ND filter set.
Most people don't know that the way a VND works is it's simply two polarizers with one able to rotate and the "cross polarization" causes the darkening.
Has anyone noticed that?
So two questions:
Thanks!
I have an Air2S! I think it has been great! Don’t know anything about the variable filters personally, but I have read about others not liking them as much. It doesn’t take that much more time to change out the filter than it does to rotate the dial on a variable. Either way you have to land the drone to do it. There to us is a great drone for video and photography. There’s a lots of comparison videos and reviews out there for the Air2S. And for a lot of folks the AIR2S has been there all around “go to” drone.

Has anyone noticed that?
So two questions:
Thanks!
It’s a great bird ✅

So far, I haven't noticed any issues with the Freewell filters. We've had some really bright conditions here where 32 didn't cut the mustard so I ordered the DJI 64-512 kit but I haven't been able to get any flight time in since they arrived. Hopefully with a long weekend that'll change.

I do think the A2S is a great aircraft. I've gotten some great footage. Being able to shoot in the D-Log profile to color grade later has been nice. I always prefer being able to make the decision about what it should look like.

I use the variable ND filters on my Air2S and I haven't noticed any effect of the pictures or videos. I love being able to make quick changes on the fly.
The one's on Amazon - at a reasonable price - are the Freewell including the mist series. The mist doesn't look overly strong but every bone in my photographer body cringes at diffuse light pre and not post. ;)
Agreed that you get a better result using pre-apply but it's a commitment.
Anyone use the mist VND filters?

So far, I haven't noticed any issues with the Freewell filters. We've had some really bright conditions here where 32 didn't cut the mustard so I ordered the DJI 64-512 kit but I haven't been able to get any flight time in since they arrived. Hopefully with a long weekend that'll change.

I do think the A2S is a great aircraft. I've gotten some great footage. Being able to shoot in the D-Log profile to color grade later has been nice. I always prefer being able to make the decision about what it should look like.
Just to clarify - you're using the Freewell VNDs or the individual NDs?
I'd be really interested to hear how the shadows fare using a strong ND and Dlog.
My typical strategy is to shoot for the *majority* of the highlights and hope the shadows aren't too deep.
10 bit should help with that - I have zero experience with what they call "HDR" so possibly that can help?
Oh - I pulled the trigger on an Air 2S flymore last night. Should be here next week.

I have the stock filters that came with it and Freewell that I purchased. I'll see if I have/can get some samples. Maybe I can run out to the beach. That's a good excuse.

I think you'll be very happy with the FMC.

I have the stock filters that came with it and Freewell that I purchased. I'll see if I have/can get some samples. Maybe I can run out to the beach. That's a good excuse.

I think you'll be very happy with the FMC.
That would be awesome - thanks! Are the Freewell the VND?

There is one feature not many talk about , not sure why.
That is that there is no Zoom Feature in the Pictures mode on the Air 2S.

I have found that this greatly affects the Photographs I want to take.
Many times while flying and video recording I will see the Picture I want framed beautifully, however when I go into picture mode that Frame of the Photograph has changed , and without the zoom feature , the shot is not there .

This is one of the Reasons why I cherished the Mini 2 because of the Zoom feature in the Picture mode.
Now we have the Mavic 3 that has the Zoom Feature and Frames the shot anyway I need it.

So the Air 2S is our go to drone for everything video, but shares the limelight with other drones .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly the Air 2S in the Rain. Land on the Water
If it had zoom it would only be digital………
best to take the shot and crop in edit. Same difference. The Air 2 S is brilliant for serious photographers and many pros use it. If you just want to shoot and immediately post on social media then go for the Mini 3.

That would be awesome - thanks! Are the Freewell the VND?
Well, didn't make it to the beach today. Still have a couple more days.

I don't have VND but I do believe that Freewell makes them. As mentioned, they can introduce other issues (though not everybody experiences it).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato