DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Once in a lifetime, MISSED

You guys know mine?
Ok, here's my once in a lifetime...

I volunteer as a Drone Search and Rescue pilot for a local disaster response non-profit and one morning we were by our equipment area showing off the drop mechanism on our Inspire. I had just landed the drone when all of a sudden we heard police chasing someone. Tires screeching, engine winding out, multiple sirens and we look up and the perp rounds a corner and guns it heading straight for us followed by no less than 5 police vehicles. We are in a dead end street with a traffic circle and a building with a large parking lot very close by. I took the drone up and turned on the video thinking this was perfect...

Well, because of the frantic situation, I decided to head off the car that I knew was going to go around the building since it had entered the parking lot and there was no place to go but around. So I decided to go on the other side and catch the perp as he came around. But he never came around. After a bit of trying to figure out what happened we realized that the guy hit the curve that lead into a golf course next to the building and went through the golf course.

Had I just hit it to follow the guy instead of trying to head him off I would have caught on video this maniac hitting a large hill on the golf course that he literally jumped and landed about 25' (we measured where his tires left and then where he hit leaving parts of the car). I would have caught him traveling on for another 300 yards until the car died then him getting out and running to folks in a golf cart, him throwing those people off the cart and taking off in their cart. And ultimately I would have caught the police grabbing him.

So.. I think I probably have you beat. :confused:

Reactions: Rchawks
My gosh you out did me without a doubt. ? Very good description I could see it in my minds eye perfectly.

Thank you for telling it. It makes mine much more bearable. Very good therapy ?

Last edited:
In 1973 I flew in the belly of one of these from Germany to the US - Think it is loud outside when they fly by? They seem to be even louder inside! (they gave us Ear Plugs to wear in the 8 hour flight)
Not in ‘73 you didn’t; first flight in development was 15 Sep 1991; in service date was Jan 1995.

Not in ‘73 you didn’t; first flight in development was 15 Sep 1991; in service date was Jan 1995.
Thanks for the info - honestly, I don't know what kind of plane it was - only that it was monstrous, had a huge belly - and we all sat in regular chairs lined up in rows of 10 -It looked alot like the plane originally mentioned which is why I assumed it was the same one I flew in....thanks for the heads up.

Reactions: Ex Coelis
When the boys were small, like 20mumble years ago, out church hosted a picnic for anybody in town. We had games and activities for the kids, hotdogs, chips, pop and so on.

There was a little girl in town who was (deleted by mod) I don't think autistic. She usually kept to herself and never spoke.

When it was time for the kids to do a play, she wanted to keep throwing beanbags in buckets. That was fine. If she wanted to do that, I'd keep fetching them for her.

After a while, she said, "Airplane."

Wow. I heard her speak! Few people ever heard her speak.

A minute later...

One of those C130's flew over about 50 feet up.

Wow. When she does speak, you better take her seriously!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Angry
When the boys were small, like 20mumble years ago, out church hosted a picnic for anybody in town. We had games and activities for the kids, hotdogs, chips, pop and so on.

There was a little girl in town who was kindof mental. I don't think autistic. She usually kept to herself and never spoke.

When it was time for the kids to do a play, she wanted to keep throwing beanbags in buckets. That was fine. If she wanted to do that, I'd keep fetching them for her.

After a while, she said, "Airplane."

Wow. I heard her speak! Few people ever heard her speak.

A minute later...

One of those C130's flew over about 50 feet up.

Wow. When she does speak, you better take her seriously!

THere might be a better way to say it - a little more 'sensitive" - consider when you wrote your post to replace "Mental" with the word "challenged" and it might sound a little less offensive. Just a thought. (I am not judging, just offering an alternative approach) my wife has to remind me all the time to 'watch my mouth" - :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki