DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Once in a lifetime, MISSED

Rchawks

Reactions
Man, I was in the right place but with the wrong camera angle. Military transport, a C130, came screaming by over by flying the lowest I've ever seen. DJI_0931.JPGDJI_0934.JPGI came inside to sulk and he did it again just as I was outside the backdoor, but as they say no pictures, it didn't happen. I was flying the MM and not very high at that as I was taking pics of the work done to the grounds. Not a lot of warning the was coming, it must have been Tom Cruise at the controls.

Last edited:
If it's an consolation a Hercules went over a few weeks ago which I missed so I set up the camera and a 100-400mm lens ready to grab if it came by again. A short time later I heard the deep rumble so grabbed the camera and fired off a barrage of shots which I was pleased with as there some good prop contrails, I hit playback to check the photos to be greeted with a 'No card' message :(

I live in Eastbourne in the uk, we regularly have spitfire fighter flights overhead near my garden . They fly from London airfields to the coast and back, the amount of times I have a camera ready and still miss them ? But I have managed to get decent shots when I happen to have my camera when I’m out and about and by chance they fly overhead . So I know how you feel ?

Man, I was in the right place but with the wrong camera angle. Military transport, a C130, came screaming by over by flying the lowest I've ever seen.
Here's a C17 up close
_DSC9651a-X2.jpg

And here's a C130 as low as you'll see them.
_DSC8790a-X2.jpg

yep I use to be up to snuff on anything airplane. But that was 15 to 20 years ago, I'm slippin, lol. I'm telling ya should have seen the shot it was right there and banked from a turn. Very hard to tell how low he was because of the sheer size of it. Stunning. The few pics I posted is nothing like what it looked like coming over the trees. Anyway a memory I'll never forget.. I do appreciate the correction on the ID. The wife thought I lost my drone the way I acted after coming inside. I was very surprised how fast he appeared and very glad I wasn't higher than what I was.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hauptmann
Man, I was in the right place but with the wrong camera angle. Military transport, a C130, came screaming by over by flying the lowest I've ever seen. View attachment 111146View attachment 111149I came inside to sulk and he did it again just as I was outside the backdoor, but as they say no pictures, it didn't happen. I was flying the MM and not very high at that as I was taking pics of the work done to the grounds. Not a lot of warning the was coming, it must have been Tom Cruise at the controls.
Get flightradar24 you can spot them in your area and be ready, good luck.

Nope, I was flying in my backyard miles from the blue line and I would have given anything to have nailed that shot to post because of all the aircraft I've seen flying in my life I've never seen one of that size ( I've been to many, many airshows in the past) fly that low over a residential neighborhood. I've flew rc for 25 years before this hobby and I'm one of the most careful and respectful flyers you would ever care to meet. I take safety very serious and would never put anyone at risk to get the AP photo. I love everything about flying and take it to heart. The second pass they made was reasonable, but the first was not. Seems someone was showing off and it wasn't me.

Reactions: Hauptmann
I feel your pain, I've had that same feeling many times, see something awesome but either don't have the camera or can't get to it fast enough.

Reactions: Rchawks
I have the FlightRadar24 app, but I never see any Military flights listed on it! :confused: Am i doing something wrong?
No some are not on the radar, fast jets definitely not but some c130's are, I can see them in the UK taking of from Brize Norton Oxfordshire, then they come directly over my house, in Wolverhampton 20 minuets later.

About 10 days ago I saw a great opportunity. There was a very low cloud (about 200-250 ft) with a nearly perfectly round hole at about 325 feet. I was out smoking at my local VFW and had started my third beer, so I didn't go for it. Would have been awesome footage flying through that hole and back. VLOS the whole time.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neverbobomalem