DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Only Getting 960x640 Mavic 2 Pro

SilverEagle07

Reactions
Photos are only coming out in a tiny file size and are unusable. How do I fix this?
Just did a photoshoot and all the pics are trash.
I don't see anyway to adjust photo resolution.

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

Are they DNG or JPG?

A DNG retains its quality — provided it's in a DNG format. Unlike file types such as JPEG, which compress files, there's no compression involved in creating a DNG file, so there's no process that might cut out important data within the image itself. A DNG image size will appear to be smaller than a JPG. However, the DNG files maintain more data for post-editing. If you export a DNG file to JPG you will get a larger image output.

Where ever you see that small dimension... it's only the embedded thumbnail within the .DNG file, bring that raw file (.DNG) up in a raw editor (like Adobe Lightroom) & you will see the correct dimension & can there edit & then export it to .JPG or another format of your choice.

And... if you don't intend to edit the pic. ... don't shoot in raw, stick with .JPG.

Beat me to the draw by 180 seconds.

DNG (RAW) shots saved to microSD all read out as either 960x720 (4:3) or 960x540 (16:9) in their thumbnail format before you start to edit them.

Process the DNG with a dedicated RAW editor such as Darktable or Lightroom and you'll see how good the DNG's you've dumped actually were.

The 16:9 format reads out as 4000x2250 in the editor metadata.

The 4:3 format reads out as 4000x3000 in the editor metadata.

These are the true resolutions of the unpacked RAW shots.

Okay, I saw the resolution size in the DJI photo gallery.
I brought them into Lightroom and edited them, but they are still very pixelated.
Is there some sort of special process I need to be doing to them in Lightroom before I start editing?

I brought them into Lightroom and edited them, but they are still very pixelated.
Is there some sort of special process I need to be doing to them in Lightroom before I start editing?
If that's the case, you are editing the tiny jpg thumbnail that's inside the dng image.
It's unusual that Lightroom is not opening the dng image.
Are you using a very old version of Lightroom?

Reactions: SilverEagle07
Did you drag & drop from the microSD card with it still installed in the drone, or did you transfer the contents of the DCIM folder from the microSD to a dedicated folder on the hard drive of the computer lightroom is installed to?
For example: after the shoot, when I sit down at my PC, I pop the card out of the drone, insert it into an SD card adaptor and then plug that into my PC's card reader. Then I'll create a new folder in PICTURES and copy & paste the content of the drones microSD DCIM folder into this new folder. I then load Darktable (I really don't like Adobe software) and open this new folder with the editors browser function. Only after I've carefully inspected the DNG thumbnails displayed in this new folder do I return the microSD back into the drone and then format it through the flight app.
This routine has worked every time for me. The DNG's I've worked on over the last six years have all been recognised by Darktable in their actual resolution (4000x3000).

res1.jpgres2.jpg

Last edited:
Nope, just updated a few weeks ago
If Lightroom is opening the jpg thumbnail rather than the dng file, you aren't going about opening the file properly.
I don't use Lightroom so can't tell what you need to do.

On another topic, do you really need to use dng files?
Have you used dng files before?

Nope, just updated a few weeks ago
The best way to explain this is as follows.

The DNG isn't an image. It is raw information about how that image is to be constructed by the editing software.

Are you familiar with old-school film photography? The camera had a roll of unexposed film inside it. Every time a shot was taken (look through viewfinder, focus, press shutter release) that frame of film was exposed to the light that hit it. This exposed frame of film was NOT an image: it was a LATENT image, all the information needed to produce an image of the scene you had just captured was stored on that frame of film, but in order to turn that image-in-potential into an actual image: you had to develop the film.

It is exactly the same with a DNG file. It is not an image: it is an image IN POTENTIAL - it has to be constructed by the editing software.

The reason you see an image when you look inside the DCIM folder with your device/PC browser instead of just seeing a blank icon denoting a file type is because the DNG stores a very low quality thumbnail JPG of that scene within the structure of the DNG file.

Here comes the bit that still confuses a lot of people.

DJI drones capture two images (bear with me) every time the shutter button is pressed.

One is the full resolution DNG (the latent image).

The other is a piss-poor version saved to JPG in a miniscule file size that is stored as a shot identifier (like one frame in an electronic contact sheet). If you drag and drop the tiny JPG into the editing workflow by mistake: all you will see is a really badly fuzzy and pixelated mess... because that's exactly what it is: a fuzzy pixelated mess.

Okay, it's making more sense now.
I can't seem to find the .dng files though. All I'm seeing are jpg thumbnails.
I think the best thing to do is to start again and chalk this one up to the learning curve. Take your drone out for another flight and make sure you have DNG+JPG selected in your camera options (that way you'll be wearing belt and braces, you'll have top-notch DNG's as well as good quality JPG's on the microSD).
Don't try to edit using your mobile device, use your PC or laptop and follow the routine I suggested in the last-but-one reply.

Once you have imported the entire DCIM folder from the drone microSD, In your file browser, slim it down so that you only have two vertical columns, the column on the left will all be DNG's. The one on the right will be all JPG's. Create two new folders. One titled DNG, the other JPG. Drag & drop all the DNG's into the relevant folder and the remaining JPG's into the other.

Now load lightroom and through the file browser, open the DNG folder. The lightroom browser should populate with the images you shot. Start mucking around with them and find out just how flexible the DNG (RAW) format really is.

Okay, it's making more sense now.
I can't seem to find the .dng files though. All I'm seeing are jpg thumbnails.
Where are you seeing this?
How are you trying to open the dng files?

Do you really need to use dng files?

Where are you seeing this?
How are you trying to open the dng files?

Do you really need to use dng files?
I haven't used dngs, but I have used and edited raw photos from my Lumix. All I'm seeing on the SD or the internal is jpg low res files.

All I'm seeing on the SD or the internal is jpg low res files.
What you are seeing isn't clear from your description.
What are you using to "see" these files?
Are you only seeing 960 x 640 thumbnails?

If you are seeing the thumbnails, the dng files are there (because the thumbnails are inside the dng images).
You should see something like this, which shows a series of dng files each with a corresponding (not low res) jpg file:
i-SHt6FT9-L.jpg

It might help if you can post a screenshot of what you are seeing.

I was seeing it on the controller and on the SD on the computer
I can't tell what you are using to view what's on the card.
The files are all there, but you need to use the correct tool to view them properly
A screenshot would help.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom