DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Oops...Fell into water.

toddk1969

Reactions
Greetings from Southwest Wisconsin!

Today I was at my mother-in-law's place, which is out in the beautiful Wisconsin country. She has this awesome natural stream running through her property, and today was a great day to trace the stream with my Mavic Air 2. (Love that drone!)

Hovering inches above the water, the travel down this stream was awesome, dodging tree branches, skirting around bends. It was a very fun time.

Toward the end, I strafed a little too close to the right edge, resulting in the drone going down. Thankfully, the drone went down in some tall grassy area, supported up by four twigs above the stream. At least it didn't go in the water.

I'm 51, and more of an "office body"-type person. Not in the best shape, but trying. That didn't help when I was jumping from one side of the creek to the other on a quest to retrieve the Air 2.

The jump proved to be terrible. My feet hit the other side nicely, but my center of gravity launched me back into the stream.

In my hands were a spare battery, and my brand new DJI Smart Controller. Yup. I panicked. I panicked and used a few expletives. (No one was within earshot anyway.)

Finally, here's my question: what is the best way to handle this situation? Meaning, I'd like to do things to give this Controller a fighting chance.

I've used a hair dryer on the Controller, and it is currently in front of a table fan blasting air into it's many orifices.

Googling proved less than fruitful when determining if the Smart Controller is waterproof in any way.

Sorry for the long post. Today was an adventure, for sure. What an absolute joy it is to be a drone pilot. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you, and blessings!

- Todd

Reactions: tlswift58
So if by chance the SC does not work after your Fan Blasting , you may be able to open it and really give it a good clean up.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly the Air 2 in the Rain.

So if by chance the SC does not work after your Fan Blasting , you may be able to open it and really give it a good clean up.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly the Air 2 in the Rain.
Hey thank you for the suggestion, Phantomrain.

Despite all of my efforts, the SC will not power on at all. I've got it charging, but no response with the double-press of the power button. So with two flights under my belt, they were $350 flights.

I didn't have any coverage for this unit, so unless there are any suggestions this has become a pretty expensive doorstop. LOL! :)

Again, I am grateful for your suggestion.

I've got it charging, but no response with the double-press of the power button. So with two flights under my belt, they were $350 flights.
Unfortunately, that sentence probably "sealed it's fate". Charging can be almost as bad as powering-up (if there's still moisture inside).

I don't have a SC so I'm speaking in very "general" terms here.

With any electronic device that has been exposed to water we immediately remove battery/power to the best of our ability. Then the unit is placed in some type of "Drying Environment" for a couple of DAYS! This could be warm air blowing across/through it, in a large bag of dried rice, in an airtight container with packets of desiccant or even placed in an area that heat/sun can bathe it and slowly dry it from inside out without extreme heat and risk of additional damage.

If your item was ON during the "water event" it might have been damaged beyond repair immediately.

If your item wasn't completely dry when you attempted to Power Cycle is might have been damaged beyond repair at that point.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
You need to let it dry out , the battery inside the SC is still wet, Wet batteries have no way of taking a charge .
Your best option is to open the SC , there are videos and even if you leave some wear and tear on the SC you at least have a chance at repairing or replacing the battery.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and Land on Water.

Today I was at my mother-in-law's place, which is out in the beautiful Wisconsin country. She has this awesome natural stream running through her property, and today was a great day to trace the stream with my Mavic Air 2. (Love that drone!)

Hovering inches above the water, the travel down this stream was awesome, dodging tree branches, skirting around bends. It was a very fun time.

Toward the end, I strafed a little too close to the right edge, resulting in the drone going down. Thankfully, the drone went down in some tall grassy area, supported up by four twigs above the stream. At least it didn't go in the water.

I'm 51, and more of an "office body"-type person. Not in the best shape, but trying. That didn't help when I was jumping from one side of the creek to the other on a quest to retrieve the Air 2.

The jump proved to be terrible. My feet hit the other side nicely, but my center of gravity launched me back into the stream.

In my hands were a spare battery, and my brand new DJI Smart Controller. Yup. I panicked. I panicked and used a few expletives. (No one was within earshot anyway.)

Finally, here's my question: what is the best way to handle this situation? Meaning, I'd like to do things to give this Controller a fighting chance.

I've used a hair dryer on the Controller, and it is currently in front of a table fan blasting air into it's many orifices.

Googling proved less than fruitful when determining if the Smart Controller is waterproof in any way.

Sorry for the long post. Today was an adventure, for sure. What an absolute joy it is to be a drone pilot. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you, and blessings!

- Todd

No video - it's all a fairy tale! ROTFLMAO

If you are not able to switch it on, are you considering selling it? I might need it for parts if the price is right)

That sucks. If only you had put your equipment down 1st and then went to retrieve the drone. You panicked all right. Sad.... I actually had a Mav 2 pro drop into a canal near my house. Luckily I was close enough to grab it within 10 seconds while it was under 1 foot of water. I used a hair dryer first, then I put it in the oven at the lowest setting for about 4 hours. Of course I took the battery out 1st. The drone and battery still work a year later

I fell into a creek with a Canon camera. Water poured out of the battery compartment and card slot. Lens was fogged. We were on a trip in Colorado. I hung it in front of the air conditioner in the car for about a three hour drive and then left it in the hot sun for another few hours. I gave it a try and it powered up and worked for the next two years. Can't easily remove the smart controller battery but getting it dried out as much as possible before powering it on (or on again) would be best. How about a very low heat oven.

Good luck.

I fell into a creek with a Canon camera. Water poured out of the battery compartment and card slot. Lens was fogged. We were on a trip in Colorado. I hung it in front of the air conditioner in the car for about a three hour drive and then left it in the hot sun for another few hours. I gave it a try and it powered up and worked for the next two years. Can't easily remove the smart controller battery but getting it dried out as much as possible before powering it on (or on again) would be best. How about a very low heat oven.

Good luck.

- Todd
Controller might be a challenge to dry out. Less vents to blast air into. But I would keep in under hairdryer for a few hours - hope it all worked out for ya!

- Todd
Find some silica desiccant and put it into a closed container (plastic) for a couple of days.

- Todd
In that case the best idea would probably have been to try to throw the smart controller onto the shore. The worst that could happen is you crack the screen. That is pretty bad, but you could get an HDMI screen and still use it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada